CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drivetrain-44/)
-   -   Cost of repairing/balancing Carbon Fiber Driveshaft (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drivetrain-44/cost-repairing-balancing-carbon-fiber-driveshaft-458592/)

James Montigny 06-29-2006 02:19 PM

Cost of repairing/balancing Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

Has anyone had to have a CF shaft repaired/balanced?
I found one for sale pretty cheap ($100), but it needs a new yoke and
the surface has a repair (and needs to be rebalanced).

I don't need a CFDS; but if I can pick one up cheap, I wouldn't mind running one.

rskrause 06-29-2006 05:16 PM

Re: Cost of repairing/balancing Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

You not only don't need one, you don't want one. It's probably possible to make a great CF DS for an F-body. But AFAIK such a shaft would cost thousands of dollars. Consequently, no one is making one. It wouldn't sell because the gains would be small and the price would be high. What is on the market is trash, from everything I have seen.

Rich

James Montigny 06-29-2006 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
You not only don't need one, you don't want one. It's probably possible to make a great CF DS for an F-body. But AFAIK such a shaft would cost thousands of dollars. Consequently, no one is making one. It wouldn't sell because the gains would be small and the price would be high. What is on the market is trash, from everything I have seen.

Thanks for the tip.
The LS1 shaft should handle 400rwhp without a problem right? (on an A4)

joe-96z1le 06-29-2006 06:51 PM

The CF driveshafts seem pretty popular at my local speed shop. What problems in particular have you seen? I was considering one since I seem to be getting a bit of vibration from the aftermarket steel DS I recently purchased new. My aluminum one was very smooth but I didn't feel comfortable using it at my new HP level.

rskrause 06-29-2006 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Thanks for the tip.
The LS1 shaft should handle 400rwhp without a problem right? (on an A4)

Yes, it should.

Why I don't like CF DS: I have seen a couple fail, they are much more expensive than the proven CM shafts.

Rich

Injuneer 06-29-2006 11:09 PM

My ACPT CF DS fell apart while the car was being driven from the engine shop to the body shop (1 mile) on a "just enough to keep it running" tune. Listen to Rich. If you really, absolutely have to have one, go to Mark Williams. Make sure your credit card limit is healthy. They are useful for solving critical frequency problems on unusual length setups, with engines capable of very high RPM. Other than that, they are of limited value.