Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Clutch Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Clutch Chatter

I installed a Ram HDX clutch kit with a brand new LUK flywheel in my stock, low mileage, 1996 Camaro SS. First attempts to reverse and pull out in first gear after it was installed I had aggressive chatter that shook the entire car violently. After a few first gear pull outs it was not nearly as severe, but I continue to have clutch chatter more than I would like and more than I think is normal.

I have 500 break-in miles on it now. The clutch chatters with any slipping of the clutch. I can increase RPM and slip the clutch less to avoid chatter most times, but it is impossible in stop and go traffic and pulling into and out of tight spaces where one would need to slip the clutch more with little RPM. Additionally, there is chatter when downshifting at low rpm that would make one cringe.

I am going to take the car apart and inspect everything, because I don't think an additional 500 miles of break-in will improve this particular chatter. Is there anyone with similar experiences and more importantly solutions?

Last edited by rsnarski3; 10-16-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:51 AM

Re: Clutch Chatter

If the HDX is organic on one side of disc and ceramic "puc" type on the other those kind of clutch disc do chatter. You can minimize and often eliminate by adjusting engagement technique (rpm & release time). Stop & go traffic and parking maneuvering are typically the most problematic driving conditions where chatter would occur.

More aggressive clutch disc materials do hold more power but tend to sacrifice DD street
manners

organic disc on both sides the clutch should be as smooth as butter right out of the box
Old 10-21-2017, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the post. It is an organic material on both sides and it is not a puc disc. Ironically, I just finished taking my car apart and found the culprit around the time of your post. I had heat marks on one side of the flywheel and pressure plate. I took a square to the flywheel and it was not perfectly flat on one side. This was a brand new LUK flywheel, so beware.

Last edited by rsnarski3; 10-21-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:24 PM

You should have felt a slight pulsation in the pedal just at beginning of engagement/disengagement

I had the same issue on another clutch

The organic disc should be smooth from mile 1. Just break it in like any other clutch.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:28 AM

No pulsation was present in the pedal. It was as described in my original post.

Did the company that made your flywheel reimburse you for the flywheel and for the damage the flywheel caused to the clutch set?

Last edited by rsnarski3; 10-22-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by rsnarski3
Did the company that made your flywheel reimburse you for the flywheel and for the damage the flywheel caused to the clutch set?
yes, McLeod. I have a Street Twin. Clutch had 500 mi on it and I felt the "pulse" in pedal and called their tech line. They gave me a RMA # to return it. Since they are only a hr away I just brought it in, they replaced the entire assembly incl FW
Old 11-04-2017, 12:27 PM

RockAuto reimbursed me the for the defective flywheel, but not for the collateral damage it caused to the brand new clutch set I bought from Summit Racing. Right now I'm out additional money, because of it. If they do not make good on it, I will never order from RockAuto again and encourage all others to follow my lead. It is not worth the risk.

Moving on... I just finished this clutch job for the second time. I had my original flywheel resurfaced. With that said, the RAM HDX clutch is fantastic! Very happy now. I will order from Summit Racing and RAM Clutches again!