CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drivetrain-44/)
-   -   Anyone have any suggestions? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drivetrain-44/anyone-have-any-suggestions-885497/)

Stephen68 04-04-2017 08:27 PM

Anyone have any suggestions?

Hello guys, i need a little input on a problem im having. 1998 TA with T56 and 100% stock. 180k on the car but it runs and drives perfectly. i have been having an issue with a rough feel through my shifter and some light vibrating noise coming from the rear from what i could tell. Nothing really intrusive but i know its there. The car shifts perfectly as well as runs like new. It has been very well taken care of before i bought it just about 2 months ago. Anyways, i took it to the garage and had them look into the problems i described. Someone before me had already replaced the driveshaft and all u joints. I was told that the cause was likely from my pinion bearing having a little slop in it and was advised to get the rear rebuilt. Well, i rebuilt the entire rear end including all bushings, shocks, carrier bearings and pinion bearing along with all seals. The only thing i never replaced was the axle bearings and seals which i just forgot about. After replacing everything mentioned above most of the vibrating went away or at least quieted down a lot but i can still tell something just isnt 100%. My question...Could my problem be the axle bearings i forgot to change out or should i look elsewhere?:no:

Injuneer 04-05-2017 12:11 PM

Re: Anyone have any suggestions?

Try pulling the driveshaft out of the diff yoke, and rotating it 180°. Will sometimes cure any minor DS imbalance.

Check what shifter is in the car. Stock shifter has a soft rubber bushing at the base, where it attaches to the stub projecting from the shifter base. Aftermarket shifters delete the bushing, and more vibration is normally present.

Check the pinion angle. Should be slightly negative. I'll see if I have the factory spec. Usually doesn't change because of the fixed torque arm, but front TA mount bushing may be damaged or the TA bent slightly.

Check to see what transmission mount is in the car. The stock rubber mounts absorb vibrations. Hard polyurethane replacements transmit more vibration. Check transmount for damage by trying to jack the tailshaft of the trans gently off the mount. Some poly mounts are taller than the stocker, which affects the pinion angle.

Axle bearings would have to be pretty bad to generate vibrations that reach the trans. But worth checking. If a bearing wears excessively or seizes you can damage the axle. Just a pain to pull the axle and check, with the stock c-clip axles. But check all the above before you pull the axles.

Stephen68 04-05-2017 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6992211)
Try pulling the driveshaft out of the diff yoke, and rotating it 180°. Will sometimes cure any minor DS imbalance.

Check what shifter is in the car. Stock shifter has a soft rubber bushing at the base, where it attaches to the stub projecting from the shifter base. Aftermarket shifters delete the bushing, and more vibration is normally present.

Check the pinion angle. Should be slightly negative. I'll see if I have the factory spec. Usually doesn't change because of the fixed torque arm, but front TA mount bushing may be damaged or the TA bent slightly.

Check to see what transmission mount is in the car. The stock rubber mounts absorb vibrations. Hard polyurethane replacements transmit more vibration. Check transmount for damage by trying to jack the tailshaft of the trans gently off the mount. Some poly mounts are taller than the stocker, which affects the pinion angle.

Axle bearings would have to be pretty bad to generate vibrations that reach the trans. But worth checking. If a bearing wears excessively or seizes you can damage the axle. Just a pain to pull the axle and check, with the stock c-clip axles. But check all the above before you pull the axles.

Thank you Injuneer......I actually went ahead and replaced the axle bearings today just so i could say that the entire rear section was new lol...But it turns out that the new bearings actually solved the slight vibration issue i was having. Both side bearings pretty much exploded during me pulling them out. I also had a slight wear mark where the bearings ride on the axle. After a light sanding and new bearings/seals the car has zero vibration and rides like new....Im a happy camper lol.....Thanks again sir!:)

Injuneer 04-06-2017 12:17 AM

Glad it worked out.