CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing Technique (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drag-racing-technique-16/)
-   -   Guys who have done a th350/400 swap..please come in. (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/drag-racing-technique-16/guys-who-have-done-th350-400-swap-please-come-110691/)

dreamer1q 04-22-2003 03:22 PM

Guys who have done a th350/400 swap..please come in.

I have done the swap and I have two problems. One being the computer and the other my crossmember. The crossmember dosent fit, so I have a new one on order....2 WEEKS:mad: As for the computer I have done searches and I cant find anyone WHO HAS ACTUALLY DONE THIS telling what they did to the computer. I orginally had a 4l60e, did you guys flash with a M6 program. Some info please.

Q

ElkyRacer 04-22-2003 03:30 PM

What crossmember are you using? I used a 6sp x-member from a LT1 car, and just elongated the hole for the tranny mount towards the front of the car. Works great. As for the computer, I just left mine alone. Mine was a 95 4L60E car, and it worked fine without anything plugged up. Only thing I left plugged up was the gear selector in the console, and just left that sensor in park so it would start up.

Kyle

dreamer1q 04-22-2003 04:17 PM

Originally posted by ElkyRacer
What crossmember are you using? I used a 6sp x-member from a LT1 car, and just elongated the hole for the tranny mount towards the front of the car. Works great. As for the computer, I just left mine alone. Mine was a 95 4L60E car, and it worked fine without anything plugged up. Only thing I left plugged up was the gear selector in the console, and just left that sensor in park so it would start up.

Kyle

That helps ALOT. I am going to leave me program alone and just work with it the way it is. NO M6 program will be needed. THANKS.

The crossmember is the stock one out of my car. I have plans to fab something up on it tomorrow night. No way I am waiting 2 weeks.

Q

Shon Herron 04-23-2003 10:43 AM

All you have to do is take your stock A4 Xmember and have a piece about 3" welded to the front side(engine side) and drill a hole. I had mine done at a Muffler shop, i told him what I was doing and he took some rectangular scrap and welded on there and drilled out the hole, works great and uses all the stock stuff.

On the PCM, it will throw some DTC codes but will not show an SES light. it looks for the selenoids but they are not there. What is your idea for the speedo, if that matters to you?

OBDII cars have the luxery of tapping the ABS sensors.
OBDI cars have to take different routes. TH400 users can use GM parts and TH350 users (or I did this) uses Dakato Digital products.

Let me know if you need more info!!

dreamer1q 04-23-2003 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Shon Herron
All you have to do is take your stock A4 Xmember and have a piece about 3" welded to the front side(engine side) and drill a hole. I had mine done at a Muffler shop, i told him what I was doing and he took some rectangular scrap and welded on there and drilled out the hole, works great and uses all the stock stuff.

On the PCM, it will throw some DTC codes but will not show an SES light. it looks for the selenoids but they are not there. What is your idea for the speedo, if that matters to you?

OBDII cars have the luxery of tapping the ABS sensors.
OBDI cars have to take different routes. TH400 users can use GM parts and TH350 users (or I did this) uses Dakato Digital products.

Let me know if you need more info!!

That is exactly what I am having done tonight. But mine is on the rear end side of the mount. I also ordered the dakota digital sensor. If you had a little more info on how to make it work that would sure be a help.

Q

chevyguy3 04-23-2003 06:08 PM

TH400 here. used a stock M6 crossmember and elongated the hole a little. put a 1" peice of square tubing between the tranny mount and tranny to space it properly. drilled holes in it and used longer bolts for the tranny mount.

for the computer, myself and several others use a base file that im told was origionally made my Ed Wright. he got inside it and disabled all the transmission functions so it wont throw any codes etc. then just copy your tuning over to that file. to make the speedometer work on a 4th gen with a TH400, you need to use an A4 pcm file, and GM/AC Delco part #s 8655315 (rotor) and 8655291 (sensor)

shoot me an email at dn95formula@aol.com if you want me to send you the PCM file

GUMP 04-23-2003 08:03 PM

If you are putting a short TH-350 in a 1993-97 car the kits from Hurst and B & M work well (They were originally made for 1982-92 cars). They also include a torque arm mount.

Daren

mongse_1 04-23-2003 11:38 PM

I'm going w/ the modified M6 x-member and the elec. speedo gear and reluctor on my 400 swap.

Chevyguy, still got that file on hand? :D

Shon Herron 04-24-2003 07:44 AM

Originally posted by dreamer1q
If you had a little more info on how to make it work that would sure be a help.

Q

I take it you want more info on the Dakota Dig set up. Power and ground is obvious, then there is a sensor in from the part mounted to the side of the trans, that is easy as well. I used output #1 to go to the Yellow wire of the VSS with all the dip switched up. the MPH is close but not dead on, still have to nail down that but it is close enough for me to know how fast I am going.

Let me know if you need more info....

dreamer1q 04-24-2003 08:18 AM

I take it you want more info on the Dakota Dig set up. Power and ground is obvious, then there is a sensor in from the part mounted to the side of the trans, that is easy as well. I used output #1 to go to the Yellow wire of the VSS with all the dip switched up. the MPH is close but not dead on, still have to nail down that but it is close enough for me to know how fast I am going.

That should help, I am expecting the Dakota Digital sensor in the mail today. SO it will make more sense once I actually get to see the sensor and the plugs you are speaking of.

Thanks again guys, this is helping out alot!:thumb:

Q

dreamer1q 04-24-2003 05:04 PM

I got my sensor today, and it looks nothing like you describe. It has two wires and no dip switches. Also has a long input shaft that could screw into the tranny to register the revoloutions. I ordered the part number that another board member gave, and said he got it to work. Guess we will find out.

Q

Shon Herron 04-25-2003 07:12 AM

OK, you got the sensor that goes into the trans. I had to get the SGI5 or SGI5a unit, it converts the signal from that sensor into a signal the VSS can use.
If you are able to connect the brown(tan) wire to the VSS and it works let me know but I was told i needed the SGI unit to convert the signal to a useable signal for the PCM.

Let me know really. I did not try to hook the tan wire up to the VSS wire (yellow) to see if that would work, that would save some cash.

dreamer1q 04-25-2003 07:28 AM

OK, you got the sensor that goes into the trans. I had to get the SGI5 or SGI5a unit, it converts the signal from that sensor into a signal the VSS can use.
If you are able to connect the brown(tan) wire to the VSS and it works let me know but I was told i needed the SGI unit to convert the signal to a useable signal for the PCM.

Let me know really. I did not try to hook the tan wire up to the VSS wire (yellow) to see if that would work, that would save some cash.

With talking to the guys at Dakota Digital he stated that as long as I could make the computer show 4 turns that it would work. I have two wires off my sensor, one black one white. I just need to figure out which wire brown or yellow goes to which wire on the sensor. Guess a little trial and error and a box of fuses is in order.

Q

Shon Herron 04-25-2003 07:43 AM

Well damn, that will piss me off, that little sensor you got is the cheap part....
That part you have creates a signal, does not matter which one you think is ground, either one can be ground. IF I was to set this up I would ground the black wire then take the tan wire to the Yellow VSS wire and see what happens. If the speedo reads then you are on your way. If that did not work I would think about connected the tan/yellow and black/purple wires and see if that helps.
The one thing they told me was that this set up did not play well with ABS, I have no problems with ABS for some reason.
In your case, are you going from an A4 or M6? I know the 2 trans put out different pulses. I would like to know if the SGI unit is needed. dont know what I would do with it if not needed but it would be one less thing in the car.
I am guessing if the SGI unit is not needed then computer tuning (adjusting the gears/tires) might be needed to get the speedo correct.

dreamer1q 04-25-2003 10:21 AM

Well damn, that will piss me off, that little sensor you got is the cheap part....
That part you have creates a signal, does not matter which one you think is ground, either one can be ground. IF I was to set this up I would ground the black wire then take the tan wire to the Yellow VSS wire and see what happens. If the speedo reads then you are on your way. If that did not work I would think about connected the tan/yellow and black/purple wires and see if that helps.
The one thing they told me was that this set up did not play well with ABS, I have no problems with ABS for some reason.
In your case, are you going from an A4 or M6? I know the 2 trans put out different pulses. I would like to know if the SGI unit is needed. dont know what I would do with it if not needed but it would be one less thing in the car.
I am guessing if the SGI unit is not needed then computer tuning (adjusting the gears/tires) might be needed to get the speedo correct.

I am going to give your idea a try with the ground to the frame and the yellow wire to the white wire off the sensor. My car went from a A4, and I have already eliminated the ABS setup and pump. So those should not be a problem. You keep making reference to a tan wire. All I have are the yellow and brown wire from the VSS plug and a black wire and white wire off the sensor. Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Q