Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Don't Street Race (8 killed)!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Disagree with the above as a high speed chase and street racing where a completely uninvolved car caused fatalities as being even close to an analogy. I would say that in the high speed chase, there is a significant responsibility for the driver, though first degree murder is obviously political grandstanding by a DA. I don't think in the specific street racing incident under discussion there is any responsibility of the racers. I DO agree that the "(in)justice" system will find otherwise though.

Rich
Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 AM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by The Engineer
For example; Locally, a driver who was involved in a high-speed with the police was charged and convicted of “first degree murder” when one of the police cars involved in the chase lost control, crashed and the officer was killed.

You could rationalize (as above) the person being chased didn’t directly cause the police car crash. However, just like the illegal street race, had that person not been engaged in an illegal activity, the police officer would not have been killed. And, it's the very same issue with the street racing.

WD
I remember hearing about that when I was living in OKC. I'll admit that I'm coming from the street racer's POV, but I think that is total BS that he got charged for the cop killing somebody.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by rskrause
Disagree with the above as a high speed chase and street racing where a completely uninvolved car caused fatalities as being even close to an analogy. I would say that in the high speed chase, there is a significant responsibility for the driver, though first degree murder is obviously political grandstanding by a DA. I don't think in the specific street racing incident under discussion there is any responsibility of the racers. I DO agree that the "(in)justice" system will find otherwise though.

Rich
I believe you missed my key point completely! The people “conducting and/or participating” in the illegal street racing will be the people who are possibly charged and bear the “primary responsibility” for the death and injuries.

The white car involved is somewhat incidental, however, if that driver was speeding, DUI or driving without headlights could also face charges.

Here is my main point; the fact the two cars racing did not hit and kill anyone, doesn’t give them a free pass! They “can possibly" have some very severe charges filed on them and also be considered the “primary cause” of the deaths and injuries.

To further make my point, the police “are looking for” the two racers involved. And I’m sure that isn’t simply find-out who won the race.

WD
Old 02-17-2008, 10:09 AM

I believe you missed my key point completely! The people “conducting and/or participating” in the illegal street racing will be the people who are possibly charged and bear the “primary responsibility” for the death and injuries.

The white car involved is somewhat incidental, however, if that driver was speeding, DUI or driving without headlights could also face charges.

Here is my main point; the fact the two cars racing did not hit and kill anyone, doesn’t give them a free pass! They “can possibly" have some very severe charges filed on them and also be considered the “primary cause” of the deaths and injuries.

To further make my point, the police “are looking for” the two racers involved. And I’m sure that isn’t simply find-out who won the race.

WD
I am still not sure if you are saying they SHOULD have major responsibility, which I do DISAGREE with or that they WILL likely face major legal problems, which I AGREE with.

Rich
Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by rskrause
I am still not sure if you are saying they SHOULD have major responsibility, which I do DISAGREE with or that they WILL likely face major legal problems, which I AGREE with.

Rich
Agree or disagree, the law is still the law. The laws can vary somewhat from state-to-state, however, when people are engaged (conducting and/or participating) in illegal activity and death and injury occur, you can be sure charges will be filed. So, we can just wait and see what happens when the police find the racers involved.

WD
Old 02-17-2008, 10:30 AM

Rather than saying "dont street race" maybe we should say dont stand on a smoke filled highway in the dark at 4am because there might be cars actually driving to work or wherever. And the statement about not having their lights on is crap too because the Crown Vic has had automatic headlights since the 80s.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mnypitTA
Rather than saying "dont street race" maybe we should say dont stand on a smoke filled highway in the dark at 4am because there might be cars actually driving to work or wherever. And the statement about not having their lights on is crap too because the Crown Vic has had automatic headlights since the 80s.
Would you "bet your life" those automatic headlights actually work on "evey old Crown Vic" on the road?

WD
Old 02-17-2008, 10:44 AM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by mnypitTA
...And the statement about not having their lights on is crap too because the Crown Vic has had automatic headlights since the 80s.
that doesn't mean that it works... the auto headlight hasn't worked in my impala in years. I did NOTHING to cause it to fail other than use it.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:47 AM

Would you "bet your life" those automatic headlights actually work on "evey old Crown Vic" on the road?

WD
The one in the picture looked pretty new, but no I wouldnt bet my life, thats why I wouldnt be standing in the middle of a smoke filled dark road at 4am. That is just stupid.

When I worked at the Lincoln Mercury dealership we had a car that was being investigated after a crash. The tractor trailer that pulled out in front of the car claimed he didnt have his lights on. After investigating it they determined that he in fact did have the auto lights on and they were working, so who knows.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
that doesn't mean that it works... the auto headlight hasn't worked in my impala in years. I did NOTHING to cause it to fail other than use it.
So I guess that means you guys think its ok to be standing in the middle of a smoke filled highway in the dark at 4am??? Give me a break. Whether they worked or not, that doesnt change the fact that a bunch of people were standing in the middle of a highway in the dark with smoke all around.

Have you ever tried to stop from highway speeds when you see smoke or fog?? By the time you realize you cant see it is too late. There was a huge pile up a couple weeks ago in Orlando due to this exact thing.

Maybe the driver was just driving to work. I do that sometimes myself, ya know drive to work in the dark. Maybe he was drunk, who knows. But that doesnt change the fact that there was a bunch of people standing in teh dark hidden by smoke at 4am, where they werent supposed to be.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Banned

how long does smoke from a burnout hang around?

Ever been to a street race where they didn't block the road on both ends?

The area is well know for what goes on there, there are alof of things in the story that do not makes add up
Old 02-17-2008, 11:21 AM

1. The race was already over so the smoke would have been long gone.

2. Do you really think people would stand in the road when they saw headlights coming? This is a long straight stretch of road which is easy to see cars coming on.

3. These aren't 16 year old high school kids. These are adults who have been doing this for years and know how to do it in the safest way possible.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by buzz12586
1. 3. These aren't 16 year old high school kids. These are adults who have been doing this for years and know how to do it in the safest way possible.
Safest way possible??? Oh really, only eight people killed and five injured.

If they had any real consideration for safety they would not be racing on the street (the root cause of the incident that precipitated the sequence of events).

First and foremost, organizing and/or participating in street racing is illegal and anything can happen and it did in this instance!

WD
Old 02-17-2008, 12:20 PM

It amazes me what people think is a safe place to street race. Just don't do it. It just gives the rest of us a bad rep.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:44 PM

This place is a great place to race if idiots aren't doing 100 mph with their lights off.

Quick Reply: Don't Street Race (8 killed)!