Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

BFG's? or is time to replace the Nitto's with ET Streets?

Old 01-05-2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by 12SCNDZ
I've ran all 3...BFG drag radials, Nitto drag radials, and ET Streets.

BFG=OK hook. Don't last worth a crap
Nitto=Better hook. Last for longer than the BFGs
ET Streets=Best hook! Last longer than BFGs, but not as long as Nittos

1.67 60 ft. with stock suspension and ET Streets...Don't EVER think about driving in the rain with them...I run without tubes.

Frank
Im with Frank

I get better 60 fts on nittos than bfg drag radials I have stock suspension and my 60 fts on the 245/50/16 nittos is from 1.60 - 1.65
I know people that run 1.5X 60 fts on them but they have some suspension work.
I have seen plenty of very fast cars on bfgs but m0st are on 15 " rims
I go 11.4 on my nittos so I would say they work pretty good.
All ou need is a good launch technique .
For all you a4guys that say nittos arent good I have 425 hp in a 3600 pound car with stock suspension and I hook pretty good. Sure Ill be faster on et streets for sure these nittos are really fun!!
BTW
I dont think my car is anything special and my times are middle of the road and can be easily duplcated.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:33 AM

Easy to explain...
ETs are very soft compound race only type tires. So they grip great but don't last long.
BFGs are a very soft compound race only type tire but with a street tread design on them. This is because of rules which require "street tires" which is also why ET Streets have two grooves in the tread....they are considered "street tires" in some classes. So the BFGs are really just treaded race compound tires but are on a radial carcass. They do not have the traction of an ET but are the closest "street tire". They get about 2000 miles on the street before you need another pair.
Nitto drag radials are true street tires. The tread compund is soft for a street tire but not nearly as soft as a true drag tire. They will not grip like the other two tires but get pretty close. I get about 15,000 miles out of a set. Some people get more, some get less. These are the best combination tire for traction and mileage.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:07 AM

I was wondering about your reply until I seen in your sig that you own a Mustang...That explains alot. How would you know what hooks if you can't muster enough HP to spin them?

What I stated was from my own experiences...I've used all 3. When the engine was still stock, the BFGs could only go a 2.1 60 ft. With no ther mods, except the Nittos, it went a 1.90. The ET Streets went a 1.73...All on a stock suspension. My ET Streets lasted atleast as long as my BFGs. The nittos lasted way longer than I exepected. As a matter of fact, I still have them on my factory rims with 50% tread. I went through 2 sets of BFGs in a years time. I'll never own another set of BFG drag radials...Not even if I buy a Mustang that doesn't need them.

Frank
You are the one that says the opposite of what EVERYONE else on this board says when it comes to these three tires. Your car and mine ran nearly identical times stock for stock, there tough guy. You don't think I can spin the tires? You really need a clue. What are you another mullet redneck Chevy guy?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Gold Z
Easy to explain...
ETs are very soft compound race only type tires. So they grip great but don't last long.
BFGs are a very soft compound race only type tire but with a street tread design on them. This is because of rules which require "street tires" which is also why ET Streets have two grooves in the tread....they are considered "street tires" in some classes. So the BFGs are really just treaded race compound tires but are on a radial carcass. They do not have the traction of an ET but are the closest "street tire". They get about 2000 miles on the street before you need another pair.
Nitto drag radials are true street tires. The tread compund is soft for a street tire but not nearly as soft as a true drag tire. They will not grip like the other two tires but get pretty close. I get about 15,000 miles out of a set. Some people get more, some get less. These are the best combination tire for traction and mileage.
Exactly!
Old 01-05-2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Steve Y
You are the one that says the opposite of what EVERYONE else on this board says when it comes to these three tires. Your car and mine ran nearly identical times stock for stock, there tough guy. You don't think I can spin the tires? You really need a clue. What are you another mullet redneck Chevy guy?
Correction...My car went 13.47 with LESS mods than you have, and went 12.82 before I ever touched the engine.

A clue? Yea, I've got a 12.0 second clue. Maybe if you nitrous, supercharge, or turbocharge the Slugstang, you'll get a clue as to what low 12's are like...Until then, See you in the mirror.

BTW, I'd rather be a "Mullet Redneck Chevy Guy" than a skirt wearin' Mustang boy.

Frank
Old 01-05-2004, 12:28 PM

Back to the tires, still never hooked in an M6 with BFG's. Anyone have better luck in a bolt-on car (or similar)?

I would have to assume in my auto TA, that it would be easier to hook, especially since the cheapo VIPER tires that are on it netted a 1.9x 60' without even attempting a strip-type launch. That was simply flooring it.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:11 PM

Hey um, could we leave the stupid Mustang vs F-body comments at home? Frank, hate to break it to ya but there's an '00 4.6 SOHC stang that would give you a hell of a run for your money with STOCK HEADS and aftermarket cams that runs locally at the track I frequent. Along with another stang with a similar setup running 12.3's right next to me.

Anywho, back to tires. I'm pretty set of 10.5 16" ET Streets as my next tire, as I plan to put more power down hopefully this year.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:10 PM

Correction...My car went 13.47 with LESS mods than you have, and went 12.82 before I ever touched the engine.

A clue? Yea, I've got a 12.0 second clue. Maybe if you nitrous, supercharge, or turbocharge the Slugstang, you'll get a clue as to what low 12's are like...Until then, See you in the mirror.

BTW, I'd rather be a "Mullet Redneck Chevy Guy" than a skirt wearin' Mustang boy.

Frank
What is your problem? You started this sh** slinging. Wow look at my mod list. Pulleys, filter, oil, and free mods. It is a know fact that stock 99+ GTs are a great race with stock LT1s. You seem to be a little self conscious about Mustangs. What's wrong, tired of getting spanked by them?
Old 01-05-2004, 05:11 PM

I'm not!
Old 01-05-2004, 07:44 PM

It took Fords gt 6 years just to catch up to franks 93z? And still not quite enough. I say chevy wins that one.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Steve Y
What is your problem? You started this sh** slinging. Wow look at my mod list. Pulleys, filter, oil, and free mods. It is a know fact that stock 99+ GTs are a great race with stock LT1s. You seem to be a little self conscious about Mustangs. What's wrong, tired of getting spanked by them?
I'll type slow so you can understand this.......

As stated earlier...A fuel injected Slugstang needs some kind of power adder to see low 12's...Let alone doing it with a 95,000 mile short block. Be realistic, Steve, what do you think you could do to your turd to get it in the low 12's? Tie it to a top fuel dragster?

Anytime you think you've got an all motor car that'll run with me, bring it to Cecil County...With ALOT of money! We'll see who gets "spanked".

Now, Please give this thread back to the original tire question, and go back to the woosy boy Slugstang forum where you can feel comfortable only running 14's... There's just too many fast cars in here for you.

BTW, what are you doing in a Camaro Forum? Dreaming about the day you can get a real car?

Frank
(The official "mullet redneck Chevy guy")
Old 01-06-2004, 11:03 AM

I'll type slow so you can understand this.......

As stated earlier...A fuel injected Slugstang needs some kind of power adder to see low 12's...Let alone doing it with a 95,000 mile short block. Be realistic, Steve, what do you think you could do to your turd to get it in the low 12's? Tie it to a top fuel dragster?

Anytime you think you've got an all motor car that'll run with me, bring it to Cecil County...With ALOT of money! We'll see who gets "spanked".

Now, Please give this thread back to the original tire question, and go back to the woosy boy Slugstang forum where you can feel comfortable only running 14's... There's just too many fast cars in here for you.

BTW, what are you doing in a Camaro Forum? Dreaming about the day you can get a real car?

Frank
(The official "mullet redneck Chevy guy")
I called you on the fact that this tire thing does not make sense and you have to start this Mustang vs. Camaro sh**. I tried to keep this on the tire discussion, you changed it to a sh**fest! Ever heard of Bob Cosby? His stock motored n/a Cobra runs 11s. Heads, cams, 4.6 mod motors with all the bolt ons, gears, and slicks will easily see low 12s in a car like mine. Oh, I can't talk to people like you because your car is faster? What's with your 4th grader mentality? I could go buy a 9 second crotch rocket and mop the road with you. I could build a monster n/a mod motor and mop the road with you. What does that prove, nothing. Yeah, I could never own or buy a Camaro. I have plenty of $$ tied up in the stock market and in a house. I could sell off everything and build a n/a mod motor nightmare for you. But why would I do that to prove something to some guy on a message board? I wouldn't. I don't need to, it has already been done. I have driven, raced and worked on a '93 and '94 Z28 for 8+ years. Those things are not that impressive stock.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:35 PM

Damn Frank.. you sound like a major dick.

I guess you missed my post above where there are two local cam only mod motor fuel injected mustangs are running low 12's.

But like any stubbornly blind individual, you only seem to read what is convenient.

Steve Y., don't worry, you are more than welcome to be on this forum.

Last edited by Javier97Z28; 01-06-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Javier97Z28
Damn Frank.. you sound like a major dick.

I guess you missed my post above where there are two local cam only mod motor fuel injected mustangs are running low 12's.

But like any stubbornly blind individual, you only seem to read what is convenient.

Steve Y., don't worry, you are more than welcome to be on this forum.
Thanks, man! My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:33 PM

My nittos (2nd set, first was 245/50-16, now 275/50-15) have never hooked. Okay street tire, useless drag tire UNLESS you have an automatic. I've never 60 footed anybetter on them than compared with a regular street tire. With bolt on's, my car 60 footed nearly the same with a 255/50-16 BFG than with a 26x11.50-16 ET street (1.74 vrs 1.70). I've run everything, Nittos, BFGs, ET streets and drags, and plain ol' street tires.

By the way, I've met Frank, and he's a cool guy.

Last edited by GreenbeanZ28; 01-06-2004 at 08:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BFG's? or is time to replace the Nitto's with ET Streets?