Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

1st Time at Track writeup (14.0 best)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 09:48 PM

1st Time at Track writeup (14.0 best)

Look it over, its long but got my whole experience recorded, to sum up I ran a 14.059@99.97 all the details of my day are here so if you want more, read on. I appreciate any feedback.

Well, I went to the track my first time. It was a lot of fun, well worth the hour long trip. I learned a lot and had a blast. It was the perfect attendence too, enough people that you could race people, go by yourself, spectate, and not wait in for more than 30 seconds.

I have a close to stock z28. Heres all my constants i could think of: (CAI,SLP dual/dual, cutout, airfoil, tubular rear lcas, tubular phb, some freemods, all tuned up, a4, 2.73s, 245/50/16 street tires, ran full interior with stealthbox stereo, !spare, !jack, !swaybar, premium gas, 120k miles, 10w40, temperature 40-50*F, 827 Elevation)

I did around 23 runs and got a:

14.059@99.97

best e/t. I am pretty pleased with this as a first time track experience. It is about what I expected to run. I had trouble hooking up which I also expected. Do you guys think it is about right or should be better?

Most of my runs were 14.1 - 14.5 with a crappy ones here and there testing stuff out. I was very worried about traction but I did decent. It seemed that 35 psi actually worked better than lowering it to 25.

I played around with my cutout a little bit and I averaged a whopping 3 tenths better time with it open!

Hypertech programming, when applied, seemed to do nothing for e/ts or trap, didn't help or hurt.

I couldve gutted my interior and taked out stereo and seats and probably run a 13.9x but it didnt seem worth my time, and plus I know what my car runs in its street trim.

Stalling up my converter didnt work well on street tires. It took me a while to figure out how to properly launch. I did run my best stalling up but my reaction was 1.2 .

I generally spun the tires once over to clean em off before the run, did a couple smokey ones to see if it helped but wasnt able to tell.

I seem to have a heat related missfire problem: After about 10 runs, my car was missfiring at high rpms every run which was bad. Then, when I took a break and let it cool off and went at it again, My car would do one or two runs without missing and then start again. (All new plugs and wires, anything i should try?, My opti, coil, and icm have not been changed in the time i had the car.)

So, whatchya think?

Last edited by pHEnomIC; 11-20-2005 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:41 PM

Re: 1st Time at Track writeup (14.0 best)

I think they are nice times for a stock car with 2.73 gears. You really need to cool your car between rounds (at least 20 minutes). The oil temp will climb and the engine will self destruct. Maybe not at the track but down the road. 23 runs in one day is a tremendous strain on the car. When you run round robin like that the engine water temp may read under 210 by the oil will be approaching 300. Unless you have a oil temp gague you will never know. Trust me on this one. I pretty much agree on everything else you posted (prior experience). Again nice times with your current setup.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:21 PM

Those are nice times, if youre running 14.0 with 2.73s youre car is definitely running good. Im curious to see what your car could do with a set of 3.42s About the missfiring, I cant really say for sure but I agree with the above. 3 passes back to back is definitely the MOST I would ever do, Im actually uncomfortable doing 2 in a row. Also, even if you got some comp T/A's on 17s you would get significantly better lauches I think.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC

Hypertech programming, when applied, seemed to do nothing for e/ts or trap, didn't help or hurt.
I had a Hypertech when I was near stock mainly for speedo recal with gears. I dynoed with the tuning installed and got the same peak #'s but the curve is much smoother. I'm sure over stock with a 180 stat there probably is some gain but that was my experience.

I couldve gutted my interior and taked out stereo and seats and probably run a 13.9x but it didnt seem worth my time, and plus I know what my car runs in its street trim.
I run with the sub box in and it helps a bit with the traction. I've taken it out a few times but its like learning to launch all over again. Eventually I'll probably remove it but for now its helping me.

I seem to have a heat related missfire problem: After about 10 runs, my car was missfiring at high rpms every run which was bad. Then, when I took a break and let it cool off and went at it again, My car would do one or two runs without missing and then start again. My opti, coil, and icm have not been changed in the time i had the car.
Possibly opti starting to fail or some guys space the ICM out from the block so it stays cooler. I haven't had any probs myself

So, whatchya think?
I'd agree with the other guys that an auto with 2.73's you have it running good.
The only thing not posted is your 60' times and that could be where you could pick up some time with more practice.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:12 PM

A little additional info:
I really do understand your concern about heat and stuff.

I didn't run my car 23 runs in a row. I did 3-4 runs in a row and took a break to check out e/t slips, watch other racers, talk to others at the place. With that in mind, I don't feel as if i tortured my car too much. I probably should have waited a bit more between runs. I watched the coolant temps and they didnt get higher than i normally see them.

The dragstrip i went to was in a very remote rural area and the pit area wasn't paved. It was muddy/gravel/sand. I feel as if my tires were always dirty and not clean as they normally are, plus the ground in pit area was very moist.

My 60' were all over the place in the 2.20 range. My second best e/t was run on a 60' of 2.129 and I think that was the best although I could be wrong.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:16 PM

Im temporarily hosting a couple of Jons vids for him
Old 11-21-2005, 04:52 AM

Very nice times for your mods. It would be interesting to see what a pair of drag radials and a little weight reduction could do for you.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
A little additional info:
I really do understand your concern about heat and stuff.

I didn't run my car 23 runs in a row. I did 3-4 runs in a row and took a break to check out e/t slips, watch other racers, talk to others at the place. With that in mind, I don't feel as if i tortured my car too much. I probably should have waited a bit more between runs. I watched the coolant temps and they didnt get higher than i normally see them.

With all do respect yes you most certinally did torture your car. The coolant temp has nothing to do with oil temps. 3 runs in a row is too much. I never realised how hot the oil got until I installed a ene oil temp gague. At the tree my water is 165, trans is 180, eng oil 185, end of the run the water is still at 165 but trans temp is 230 and eng oil is 240-250. Trans cools quickly but the eng oil takes 15 minutes to drop down to 210. my advise is never hot lap your car. again very nice time.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by kazman
With all do respect yes you most certinally did torture your car. The coolant temp has nothing to do with oil temps. 3 runs in a row is too much. I never realised how hot the oil got until I installed a ene oil temp gague. At the tree my water is 165, trans is 180, eng oil 185, end of the run the water is still at 165 but trans temp is 230 and eng oil is 240-250. Trans cools quickly but the eng oil takes 15 minutes to drop down to 210. my advise is never hot lap your car. again very nice time.
whats involved in installing an engine oil temp gauge? hearing that makes me want to invest in one.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

I raced at Lapeer once. The dirty, unpaved staging area was annoying enough that I'll never go back. Milan is better, but Stanton is best. I haven't raced at Martin, but I've heard that's nice too.

Nice runs!

kazman, I'm willing to bet that your setup generates a lot more heat than pHEnomIC's does. That said, I'm curious about gauge installation effort too.