CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Computer Diagnostics and Tuning (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/computer-diagnostics-tuning-36/)
-   -   Tunning Recommended 93Z? With Cam? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/computer-diagnostics-tuning-36/tunning-recommended-93z-cam-807192/)

havoq 04-13-2011 09:36 AM

Tunning Recommended 93Z? With Cam?

So I'm still debating on a few things here and I don't know enough about tuning to make a sound decision.

Firstly, I have most of the bolt-ons for my car, (cold air, headers, borla cat back, 1.6 rockers/springs, hypertech chip, etc) however I've never had a custom tuning, unless the hypertech kinda substitutes in that regard.

I was thinking about getting a cam, but don't know if tuning is required? I only want to get a very mild cam, since its a weekend driven car and I don't do much else with it. Just want a few extra horses outta it.

So I guess my questions are, is a tune required for such a basic cam? If I don't get a cam, should I get a custom tune anyways and spend the money there and see some minimal results?

Any recommendations or questions on how to go from here? Thanks as always!

bobdec 04-13-2011 09:57 AM

Re: Tunning Recommended 93Z? With Cam?

Yes you need will need a tune after cam. The TPS closed timing will have to be adjusted for a smoother idle. If you have an A4 then the 550/650 RPM stock idle in drive/netrual will run like crap. Also a good tune will alter your main and extended timing tables to take advantage of your new cam's power curve. And will tweak you VE tables and PE mode tables for you custom mods. Lowering the fan turn on's and running high octane will help keep knock away as you crank up the timing. You can then sell your Hypertech on E-Bay.

havoq 04-13-2011 10:02 AM

Thanks for the reply. So between someone like Elliottsportworks.com or Ed Wright, are there recommendations on who is better or whatnot? Would I not have to send in my hypertech then, they would just program and ship me a chip? Is that how it works?

plattted 04-13-2011 02:43 PM

I'm in the same boat (a 93),with similar bolt on's, and a G M Hot Cam. I cannot find a tuner here in the New England area. It should will need a dyno and chip burning capabilities to do it properly. I was told that if you could datalog, you could send that info to someone and they could burn a chip with that data. I haven't done that. I also have a mailorder chip installed. It is better than nothing at all, but needs tuning.

Injuneer 04-13-2011 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by havoq (Post 6661624)
Thanks for the reply. So between someone like Elliottsportworks.com or Ed Wright, are there recommendations on who is better or whatnot? Would I not have to send in my hypertech then, they would just program and ship me a chip? Is that how it works?

Elliottsportworks ports heads. As far as I know, they don't do PCM tuning. Ed Wright/FastChip have been around for years. Also consider pcmforless.com and madtuner.com.

They will burn you a new chip.

havoq 04-14-2011 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6662410)
Elliottsportworks ports heads. As far as I know, they don't do PCM tuning. Ed Wright/FastChip have been around for years. Also consider pcmforless.com and madtuner.com.

They will burn you a new chip.

Injuneer: You think I should just go with something like this cam:
212/222 .563/.562 114 LSA. – Idle-5800 RPM
“Sleeper cam” with smooth idle improving HP and TQ everywhere.???

Or buy like a compcam?

havoq 04-14-2011 08:29 AM

I'm kinda thinking of doing just a tune and no cam actually now...

I'd rather spend 150 bucks or so than 800

lt1-xjs 04-14-2011 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by havoq (Post 6662652)
I'm kinda thinking of doing just a tune and no cam actually now...

I'd rather spend 150 bucks or so than 800

Alvin at pcmforless.com

havoq 04-14-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs (Post 6662726)
Alvin at pcmforless.com

Any differences between him and madtuner? I've already been talking with madtuner and he seems very reasonable and knowledgable

Injuneer 04-14-2011 05:25 PM

Looks like a lot of lift for stock heads, which appears to be what you are running. They aren't going to flow very well at 0.56+ lift. I'd go for a bit more duration, and a bit less gross lift. I like a 114LSA, because it keeps the bottom end stronger, and makes it more manageable on the street.