CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Computer Diagnostics and Tuning (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/computer-diagnostics-tuning-36/)
-   -   2 Bar Stock PCM Speed Density Tune for >6psi (Forced Induction) (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/computer-diagnostics-tuning-36/2-bar-stock-pcm-speed-density-tune-6psi-forced-induction-560089/)

dookie454 03-20-2008 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by engineermike (Post 5257621)
This is exactly my problem. 25 kpa is throttle on but slightly decelerating, while 30 kpa is throttle on and slightly accelerating. To hold constant speed in the 35 - 55 mph range required 27 kpa and it runs 17/1 A/F ratio.

Mike

And you are also running no 02's? If you can enable them or connect the WB to the stock pcm that may fix it, you can try disabling closed loop under 20mph see if that helps whatever 02 problems you were having.

bunker 03-21-2008 02:46 AM

No probs Dookie454, right I'm running 0 for baro reset.

Also as for Closed loop idle enable mph that is I believe to enable cell 16, so if ou set it to 20mph, that means that anything under 20mph 0% TPS you'll be in cell 16 which is the idle cell, right now I believe you can be in 17 or 18 until you come to a complete stop.

dookie454 03-22-2008 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by bunker (Post 5259786)
No probs Dookie454, right I'm running 0 for baro reset.

Also as for Closed loop idle enable mph that is I believe to enable cell 16, so if ou set it to 20mph, that means that anything under 20mph 0% TPS you'll be in cell 16 which is the idle cell, right now I believe you can be in 17 or 18 until you come to a complete stop.

Thanks Bunker, I guess that explains why it's set to ~0.7mph stock!

rtracy 03-22-2008 11:10 AM

Could I get a copy of the definitions file please? rtracy@stny.rr.com Thanks

1982z28with18s 03-23-2008 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by dookie454 (Post 5254822)
I did some homework for you...
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...og-signal.html
"My LC-1 has two analog (narrow band) outputs. It says that one can be hooked up to simulate the stock narrow band O2 sensor. It also goes on to say that some computers need the stock O2 sensors heating element hooked up and working or it will give the computer bad signals. It says to just hook it up and secure it somewhere."

I know all about that AC pressure input that's not what I was referring too... if you could.. hook it up to your O2 sensor PCM inputs and see what happens. It's ok having AC pressure input.. but would real "data capture", " or even better... "averaged bank to bank 02 circut/logging/fuel adjustment be better? Since your not using the 02 input's there really no reason not to try it.

Havent read about anybody doing it yet.. I posted about it just never tried it. Had a bunch of people theorize about how it wouldnt work but that was opposite of the point of trying it (those guys never tried it).
Bunch of guys said 2Bar reference wouldnt work for unknown reasons... those reasons were discovered to be BARO RESET.. we overcame that pretty quick once discovered now didnt we. Again, Tunercat has settings for O2's.. (specific voltage references...). I can only imagine that's for "non stock" 02 action.

I might try this when I get more time on my hands.

I got my part throttle tune dialed in fairly well tonight, it does have the lean spot at 27kpa still though, but doesn't surge nearly as bad. I found it likes less timing at idle though with this cam, around 23 degrees seems to be perfect, more and it will want to surge, even if its rich or lean.

I haven't got to test my other ideas on how to fix the issue yet, but honestly right now the car is very driveable, probably has less "surge" than most cammed 6 speed cars ever see.

WOT is nailed in pretty good up to 11lbs, then a lil rich up to 14lbs. I need to get some more better gas in it and will finish tuning it up to 15lbs next weekend and try to hit the track. :)

engineermike 03-23-2008 08:13 PM

1982Z28, I think I've figured something out, but my scanner is broke so I can't verify. What do you have your minimum pulse width set to?

Mike

1982z28with18s 03-23-2008 08:57 PM

I'll have to check the tune when I get to work, but I believe it was down to 1.09.

engineermike 03-23-2008 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1982z28with18s (Post 5264935)
I'll have to check the tune when I get to work, but I believe it was down to 1.09.

Make that number about .8 and see if everything at low load doesn't go lean. Then, correct the VE tables to make up for it. I think that will solve our 27 kPa issues.

You see, today, I put in a .8 and test drove my car. I really didn't expect to see any difference except for a slightly leaner idle since my idle PW should be around 1.0, but the minimum was 1.4. What I got was everything lean at light load and terrible surging because of it. I believe the VE tables are not correct (lean) and the minimum PW of 1.4 was masking that by artificially adding fuel. So, 27 kPa is right in the range where the VE table was making it go lean, but drop down to 25 kPa and the PW went to 1.4 and it richened back up.

Its just a theory, as I need to get my scanner and WBO2 back on line before I can test it.

Mike

dookie454 03-23-2008 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by engineermike (Post 5264973)
Make that number about .8 and see if everything at low load doesn't go lean. Then, correct the VE tables to make up for it. I think that will solve our 27 kPa issues.

You see, today, I put in a .8 and test drove my car. I really didn't expect to see any difference except for a slightly leaner idle since my idle PW should be around 1.0, but the minimum was 1.4. What I got was everything lean at light load and terrible surging because of it. I believe the VE tables are not correct (lean) and the minimum PW of 1.4 was masking that by artificially adding fuel. So, 27 kPa is right in the range where the VE table was making it go lean, but drop down to 25 kPa and the PW went to 1.4 and it richened back up.

Mike

I agree with Mike on this, when I had my min pulsewidth too low (0.5) I was getting very lean surge in the transition from decel to very very slight throttle. With the same tune I also had some pretty bad idle surge that would ususally smooth out the longer it idled but tap the throttle and it would start surging again. I increased my min pulsewidth to 1.1 (0.94 was still too low) and it all went away. Tuning the VE's should help, but not sure it will help with the idle surge I was having.
I did lean out the VE's alot in that area trying to get decel leaner and finally realized it was because of the min puslewidth being so high (1.4) and I still havent changed/increased the low VE's because it's running real good. My decel (before fuel cut off) is around 13:1 so Im not too concerned, originally was about 10.5:1... I think this was also messing up BLM's since it was trying to lean it out so much but really had no effect due to the min pulsewidth setting.

1982z28with18s 03-23-2008 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by engineermike (Post 5264973)

Its just a theory, as I need to get my scanner and WBO2 back on line before I can test it.

Mike

I'll give this a try this week, if it doesn't work I still want to try the AFR open loop table and if that doesn't work, use the PE table to try to make it work. Really right now the lean spot isn't bad in my car, MUCH better than before, but it is still noticeable.

You ever figure out the high timing at WOT? Mine won't go any lower than 26 degrees, still can't figure this out. :( My 1 bar map tune was perfect, 16-18 degrees, but this 2 bar tune won't go below 26 degrees no matter what I try to command. I believe you had this problem before with the 1 bar map tune also thus why you pulled timing via the igntion box.

bunker 03-26-2008 02:28 AM

I just wanted to add, and although this might not be too important but to be on the 100% safe side since we're tunning VE and want to improve each time with VE Master I did the following:

1. At operating temp, I make sure I drive the car atleast 4 mins.
2. than pull over on the side and start logging with data master
3. drive as normal for several minutes on HWY/street etc..
4. Pull over, and stop data logging
5. Turn car off
6. Run VE master on the log against your tune

Than repeat steps, make sure after uploading the tune, drive again for 4 mins to get operating temp in and if there are any other after start variables we don't want to have VE master accomodate for, so after 4 mins of uploading tune and driving, pull over, start logging a new file, than when done, pull over, stop logging, than turn off car and run new LOG against newer tune.

Also and I repeat, everytime you run these steps, to be 100% certain, try not to DECEL, when going down a hill just put her in neutral, don't hit PE mode or Decel while making the logs for VE master.

I realize it switches to a different cell but who knows, just don't hit those areas and maybe that will take care of a lot of lean/rich spots which sometimes happen after VE master is done.

engineermike 03-26-2008 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by bunker (Post 5270446)
...maybe that will take care of a lot of lean/rich spots

The lean problem we are having is at 27 kPa, which is between cells. Mine runs fine at 25 and 30 kPa, but lean between them.

Mike

cjmatt 03-26-2008 07:01 AM

what kpa are you guys having vemaster modify through?

engineermike 03-26-2008 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by cjmatt (Post 5270537)
what kpa are you guys having vemaster modify through?

I use my own hand-built logger that captures A/F ratios and puts them into a table with the same cell limits as the stock VE tables.

bunker 03-26-2008 02:12 PM

Like mentioned it might not be the issue for the lean spike but just a suggestion to a clean log for ve master.

Hey Engineermike, could you share a copy of your hand built logger :)? Thanks if you could just send it to my email bunker@telus.net

Thanks so much.