CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Classic Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/classic-engine-tech-21/)
-   -   Help Identifying intake manifolds. (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/classic-engine-tech-21/help-identifying-intake-manifolds-783578/)

d2stephen 11-17-2010 04:50 PM

Help Identifying intake manifolds.

2 Attachment(s)
I happened to stumble upon these and some other parts off a '73 Chevelle while helping my grandfather clean out his attic yesterday, and he told me if I wanted them, they were mine. He said one should be from his old '73 Chevelle, and the other should be from my dads old Chevelle (i dont know the year). I was hoping someone would be able to identify which was which, and what year(s) the intake manifold applies to.

Attachment 19076
Attachment 19077

cnorton 11-18-2010 07:33 AM

Re: Help Identifying intake manifolds.

[QUOTE=d2stephen;6532467]I happened to stumble upon these and some other parts off a '73 Chevelle while helping my grandfather clean out his attic yesterday, and he told me if I wanted them, they were mine. He said one should be from his old '73 Chevelle, and the other should be from my dads old Chevelle (i dont know the year). I was hoping someone would be able to identify which was which, and what year(s) the intake manifold applies to.

The upper picture is of a 2-barrel manifold with an EGR valve in place. In terms of performance, it doesn't get much worse than that. I don't recall the year that the EGR system was introduced but it's probably a mid-to-late 70s manifold.

The lower picture is of an earlier manifold used with a Quadrajet carburetor. It has a number cast into the area just behind the carburetor mounting pad. If you can read that number, it will give a clue as to the era in which it was produced. It wouldn't be of any particular value unless someone needed it for restoring a car of that year or wanted to build a car for a racing class that specified original parts such as Stock Eliminator.

Neither of them would be considered rare or valuable.

Z28SORR 11-18-2010 09:08 AM

Bottom one is the older of the two. it has the "capped off" hole for the oil filler tube. Would have to be an early 60's manifold.

cnorton 11-18-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR (Post 6533015)
Bottom one is the older of the two. it has the "capped off" hole for the oil filler tube. Would have to be an early 60's manifold.

Good catch on the oil filler hole. That feature had disappeared in 1969 so the manifold would only be a '66, '67, or '68. There were relatively few '66 Q-Jet small block options (possibly some 327 motors) that could be equipped with Q-Jet, Holley, or AVS) so the most likely years would be '67 or '68.

d2stephen 11-18-2010 11:39 AM

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm just debating on what to sell or junk and what to keep. I'm wanting to keep the front grille off his Chevelle, but things like the intake manifolds, front/rear lip, exhaust manifolds, I just have no need/desire to have laying around.