CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Cars Wanted (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/cars-wanted-53/)
-   -   Looking to buy an old Camaro, 2nd or 3rd gen? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/cars-wanted-53/looking-buy-old-camaro-2nd-3rd-gen-886438/)

JPFP 03-16-2018 11:17 AM

Looking to buy an old Camaro, 2nd or 3rd gen?

So I'm turning 19 this summer, and it's about time for me to get my own ride. I know a bit about cars / have done minor work such as brakes, bearings, etc. but don't have much experience working on motors. (Though I've been told the old 305's and 350's are really good to learn on, so as long as you don't mind doing a lot of "learning" lol).

Anyways, after doing a LOT of research, I've narrowed my decision down to either a 1980 z28 or 1987 Iroc Z. I just have no idea which I should go for. It's going to be a daily for 7/8 months a year (say, 350km per week), and I'm hoping to put no more then 6/7k (cad) in it to have it on the road in decent condition. Either car will be exempt from emissions so that’s not a problem. I also don’t really care what kind of motor / rear end I get, as I’d love to build my own in a couple years anyways. I am looking for a stick though! Bellow I’ll list some pros/cons of each that I've come up with:

1980 z28: Pros --> “Cooler” looking, will be worth more in the future, came with better stock motors & rear ends Cons --> Heavier (more gas), parts are more $ / harder to find, bodies will be rustier

1987 Iroc Z: Pros --> Parts are pretty common, better fuel efficiency, still look great, better ride / newer technology? Cons --> Weaker motors / trans & notorious for bad rear ends

What do you guys think I should go for? Leave me your thoughts and experiences! :)

Zspoiler 03-24-2018 08:14 AM

Re: Looking to buy an old Camaro, 2nd or 3rd gen?

1 Attachment(s)
There are more second gen cars out there and were built for a longer period of time. And its up to your own taste. They are easier to work on especially for someone just starting out.I have driven both And prefer 2nd gen cars .This one is my 1979 Z-28 RS Pro-Touring car.

rdalewoody 07-05-2018 07:26 PM

We have a 1985 Z28 Notch back for sale. Would you be interested?

stevegregg78 01-27-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by JPFP (Post 6997204)
So I'm turning 19 this summer, and it's about time for me to get my own ride. I know a bit about cars / have done minor work such as brakes, bearings, etc. but don't have much experience working on motors. (Though I've been told the old 305's and 350's are really good to learn on, so as long as you don't mind doing a lot of "learning" lol).

Anyways, after doing a LOT of research, I've narrowed my decision down to either a 1980 z28 or 1987 Iroc Z. I just have no idea which I should go for. It's going to be a daily for 7/8 months a year (say, 350km per week), and I'm hoping to put no more then 6/7k (cad) in it to have it on the road in decent condition. Either car will be exempt from emissions so that’s not a problem. I also don’t really care what kind of motor / rear end I get, as I’d love to build my own in a couple years anyways. I am looking for a stick though! Bellow I’ll list some pros/cons of each that I've come up with:

1980 z28: Pros --> “Cooler” looking, will be worth more in the future, came with better stock motors & rear ends Cons --> Heavier (more gas), parts are more $ / harder to find, bodies will be rustier

1987 Iroc Z: Pros --> Parts are pretty common, better fuel efficiency, still look great, better ride / newer technology? Cons --> Weaker motors / trans & notorious for bad rear ends

What do you guys think I should go for? Leave me your thoughts and experiences! :)

I have a 1984 Camaro for sell it is not running at to moment but it does have a 96 LT1 with only 96k on it. I do have the wire harness and comp. with it along with a lot of other parts including paint. I am only asking $2500 for all of it. (some of the parts I have includs 4back hatches, a set of doors and door glass, ect. You can reach me at my email at stevegregg78@gmail.com or my cell number which is (620)741-4214 my name is Steve Gregg

ULTM8Z 02-03-2019 07:26 PM

should check out the smog laws in your area... in California, older than 1975 is smog exempt.

it broadens the possibilities of what you can do.

jrwatty 03-12-2019 06:40 AM

Have an 88 IROC Z for sale, if interested.