CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Car Audio and Electronics (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/car-audio-electronics-12/)
-   -   First time running Amp wirring on an fbody (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/car-audio-electronics-12/first-time-running-amp-wirring-fbody-513312/)

The Captain 04-07-2007 01:31 PM

First time running Amp wirring on an fbody

I have done amp installs before, just never on an fbody. I have a 93. I have been searching for about an hour and all I have come up with as far as getting through the firewall is a grommet under the PCM on the Passenger side. Is this correct? I can get the rest from there, just need to know exacttly how to get through the firewall. Probably going to wait till tomorrow to do it, that way I have time to figure it out beforehand. Thanks for any help!

Justin Horne 04-07-2007 02:17 PM

Run the amp wiring through the PSM wiring whole. People will suggest pulling it out.. I was gonna, but then I remembered, I never did. Pull up the passenger footwell carpet, you'll find it easily enough. I actually found it easier to have a friend put the wire in the hole FROM the inside of the car, and push it through. Then you can search for whereever it pops out in the engine bay, and pull it through. Five minute job with me and a friend.

fredmr39 04-07-2007 03:06 PM

Compliments of Rob:
http://shbox.com/fw/Firewall_wire_feed.html

megahyperion 04-08-2007 08:01 AM

Just drill a new hole, if you want I can take a pic of where I ran my 4agu wire through.
No offense but being a former install tech I will tell you that most cars you have to drill a new hole and if your not comfortable with it take it to a shop.
Its not that trivial of a thing to do lol.

Dont forget to run the RCA's down the oppisit side (kinda backwards from what Im used to) Im used to power on drivers side rca's on passenger side lol.

The Captain 04-08-2007 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by megahyperion (Post 4526750)
Just drill a new hole, if you want I can take a pic of where I ran my 4agu wire through.
No offense but being a former install tech I will tell you that most cars you have to drill a new hole and if your not comfortable with it take it to a shop.
Its not that trivial of a thing to do lol.

Dont forget to run the RCA's down the oppisit side (kinda backwards from what Im used to) Im used to power on drivers side rca's on passenger side lol.

I always just ran them all down the passenger side with no problems :shrug:

The Captain 04-08-2007 12:25 PM

OK I dont know if it is because I have a 93 or what, but I pulled the carpet back on the passenger side and there is NO access through the firewall besides one grommet on the floorboard. I cannot even see where the PCM wires come through without what looks like taking the whole dash apart. I am going to look around some more before I drill a hole though.

Chevy16 04-08-2007 01:21 PM

pop the hood, unbolt the pcm, pull it out of the way and see if you see the grommet thats what i had to do cuz the hole is more towards the top of the firewall

Justin Horne 04-08-2007 01:26 PM

It might help if you take the plasstic trim from under the glove box down... on a 97, there'ss 2 little push plastic things, left and right side, that you pul out. Do that, the piece will fall down in front. Open your hood. On mine, there's a tiny, tiny little light hole. Take a wire, proceed to poke and prod until you get through. duct tape your wire to your pushrod, pull it back.

The Captain 04-08-2007 01:44 PM

Got it guys! I removed the PCM, there was the grommet. I just started forcing the power wire through the grommet and hole, and it eventually popped out on my floorboard. Talk about a bitch to work on, I like to never got the panels to go back together correctly. Took me probably 30min just for that. Anywho, thanks guys!

Chevy16 04-08-2007 07:53 PM

glad you got it! especially with my method lol:thumb:

fredmr39 04-08-2007 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy16 (Post 4527827)
glad you got it! especially with my method lol:thumb:

If I had to throw a number out there....I'd say at least 90% use your method on these cars.

The Captain 04-08-2007 09:17 PM

Ha, if anyone cares to pitch in, I have run into another issue. I ran 0 gauge wire for the power (thats what I had left over from an old setup pushing really high watts) and I gotta figure out how to hook this up to the amp. Any suggestions?

Chevy16 04-08-2007 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by fredmr39 (Post 4527842)
If I had to throw a number out there....I'd say at least 90% use your method on these cars.

well i meant out of those who posted up:)

fredmr39 04-08-2007 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy16 (Post 4528161)
well i meant out of those who posted up:)

Did you read post #2 or #3?? :p