Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

1 farad cap.... charging system is still getting nailed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 06:34 PM

Question 1 farad cap.... charging system is still getting nailed

My previous system (two 800W amps and three 15"s) was in my Blazer. I didn't have any caps in there, and it dimmed the lights and everything, but for the most part it wasn't anything too much for the 350 and it's heavy charging system to handle. I wanted to add caps to it eventually, but never did, I ended up taking the stereo out before I had a chance.

Now, to the present day. I just got a little 92 Integra (1.8L) to be my commuter. I decided to put one of those old 800W amps in to drive one of my 15"s.

Knowing full well this tiny little Acura was going to be affected much more dramatically than my Blazer, I put a 1 farad cap in. My neighbor up the street (a pro that installs stereos all the time) wired everything up with me. We got everything running, and it doesn't seem to matter: the stereo lugs the RPM down, dims the lights a bit on low excursions and peaks.

Doesn't something seem wrong to you? I've seen much larger systems with caps that run without a single hint of a strained electrical system. Or is the cap helping, but not doing the job completely?

Anyway, he thinks it's possible that the ground from the cap isn't solid enough (but I'm pretty sure it's good) .... Opinions?
Old 03-27-2004, 06:30 AM

IMO the CAP in that new situation is like putting a band-aid onto a severed hand, it's not doing much to solve the problem.

If you really want to keep that in there, you're going to need to upgrade the charging system, and put a HELL of an alternator on there. I don't know the size of the alternator on there now, but my guess is it's pretty small.