Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Stereo comes on in the middle of the night....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 07:26 PM

Stereo comes on in the middle of the night....

My 94 Z28 has been having an issue staying charged for the past year....The issue started after my 383 swap. I relocated my battery to the rear of the car also. I found out that the stereo has came on in the middle of the night, on at least 2 occassions. I turned the stereo to the off position and the issue remains.
I can fully charge my battery and 2 weeks later its dead. The mechanic says that there is no CONSTANT draw on the battery.

My question is...what would cause a stereo to come on in the middle of the night? I think that whatever does, is the route of my battery drain issue. Also I have a 500/1 JL audio amp and a kicker 10 sub.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Re: Stereo comes on in the middle of the night....

Factory audio system?

All the power to the factory system passes through the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) module. Might have a problem with the module relays shorting. On the other hand, if you turn the stereo off with its switch, rather than relying on opening a door to turn it off via the RAP module, the module couldn’t be the issue.

The RAP module also feeds the power windows and the 15-amp “power accessory fuse”. Do you have any of the aftermarket component fed through that fuse?

Shoebox has the RAP module wiring diagram. 95 should be the same as 94, although the fuse #’s might be different.

http://shbox.com/1/rap_schematic.jpg
Old 08-30-2018, 08:13 PM

Awsome. I have a SS spoiler with 3rd brake light and it is aftermarket. I installed it with instruction that were included. I can hear the relay tick when i press the brake pedal. Thought that was odd.... My head unit is also an aftermarker Alpine unit. The mechanic that completed my 383 install replaced a relay or something under the dash that WAS discharging the battery but he said that once he replaced that relay that there was no furthur drain.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:17 AM
Administrator

The way the relay is wired into the third brake light, it is normal for the relay to click when the brake pedal turns on the brake lights. It's just there to serve as a parallel resistive load in the circuit.

Did you use Shoebox's diagram:

http://shbox.com/1/relay_for_ss_spoiler.jpg

This is the RAP module:

http://shbox.com/1/express_down1.jpg
Old 08-31-2018, 03:12 PM

I did use the shoebox ss spoiler diagram. I havnt looked under the dash for the RAP module yet. Im away from the car at the moment. Is the RAP module removalable with removing the dash?
Old 08-31-2018, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Yes. Just rests in the pocket against the firewall.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:10 PM

Ok. Yeah i see it now. Does swaping this part require taking the dash apart or is there a way to swap it while leaveing most of the dash together? Is this an AC Delco part?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Are you sure you need to replace it? I suggested something that MIGHT be the cause. Have you determined the module is faulty? Do the power windows also work when the radio comes on in the middle of the night? We’re you leaving the radio on, allowing the RAP module to turn it off when a door was opened? Did you turn the radio off before exiting the car to see if that prevented the module from turning on the radio?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 AM

Im not sure that the RAP module is the culprit. The 1st time i noticed the stereo come on was because the volume was up. So i turn the stereo off completely when i turned the car off after that. The 2nd time i notice it come on was by luck when i walked by it one night and seen the lights from the stereo head unit come on, as soon as i opened the door, naturally it turned off. Oh, i dont have power windows eith. Just power locks. I dont really know a way to test whether or not it come on when im not around. Perhaps a good diagnostic shop could? Its very frustrating not being able to jump in it and go. i appreciate your input, it helping out a bunch. What about a battry cut off switch?...im at the end of my rope bud. Lol
Old 09-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Administrator

The fact it turned off with the door opening would seem to tie it into the RAP module. Shoebox's photo was taken by holding the camera under the dash. It should just lift out of the pocket, without taking anything apart. Hard to reach laying on your back, slide driver's seat all the way back.

Here's a similar problem from search:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...hoebox-153751/

Includes the part #. GM part is expensive.

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-12135089.html

Buy GM 12135089 Module, genuine OEM part

Some sources list it as discontinued.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:58 PM

My 383 i have now came from a 94 corevette(4 bolt main block), i used my 94 camaro starter, which does have a few miles. ...would a dead battery be a symptom of a wore out starter? May be cheap insurace to replace since it is older...is a corvette or camaro starter best? I checked the ACDelco starters and apparently the corvette and camero starters have diffrent part #s. Is there advantaages to one over the other?
Old 09-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Administrator

The F-Body and Corvette starters are different. Most likely because of exhaust interfererence issues. My factory starter was replaced at 30K miles under warranty. The factory replacement showed signs of weakness after the 381ci build at ~60K miles. At first I thought an extended started was due to the added load of the stroker, but the shop showed me their measurement of the torque required to turn the new engine was less than the stock engine.

Turned out the starter was drawing excessive current, reducing voltage to the point it was affecting the injectors. Years of exposure to the heat of headers had taken its toll. I replaced the factory starter with a CVR Pro-Torque starter. Smaller, more torque. The body of the starter could be rotated to move it away from the headers. Solved the problem.... first touch of the key the 74 #/HR injectors would start the engine instantly. I think JEG'S sells the CVR starter under their name. Probably no more expensive than the Corvette starter.

But I don't see how a worn starter would cause excessive current draw with the key in the off position.

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-04-2018 at 10:38 AM.