Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion
View Poll Results: What subwoofer option should I go with?
Go with two 10" subwoofers (keeping the same subs I already have)
18.18%
Go with two 12" subwoofers
36.36%
Stay with 10" subwoofers, and just buy some high-end subs
45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

4th Gen Owners, I need your opinions: 10" or 12" subs...which are better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:17 PM

4th Gen Owners, I need your opinions: 10" or 12" subs...which are better?

First off, I want to apologize in advance, because I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times; however, I couldn't find any threads that covered this topic when I did a search.

I've currently got a Subthump box with two 10" subs in my '93 Camaro. For the sake of argument, let's ignore sub and amp brands/models. I'll be converting my hardtop into a t-top soon, and I'll be replacing my standard Subthump box with a T-Top Subthump box. Before ordering it, though, I haven't decided yet, whether I want to stick with my two 10" subs, or move up to a pair of 12" subs. Years ago, I remember having a pair of 12" subs in an '87 Camaro, and I remember liking them; but then again, I was 16 and loved anything that was obnoxiously loud and rattled my eardrums.

I love my dual 10's, which sound great with rock songs and other similar songs, but I've noticed that some of the songs with deeper or stronger bass don't sound as rich as they did when I had 12's in my older Camaro. One thing I do like (now that I'm 31), is that I can have the volume up high, and the audio sounds great, but when the windows are up and doors are closed, you can hardly hear anything outside the car, even when standing next to it (which I really like).

So guys, can you help me decide? 10's or 12's? Or could my bass range issue be remedied with higher quality subs? I have decent ones in there, but nothing super extravagant.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Well im very partial to 10s! I say stick wit em!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM

Re: 4th Gen Owners, I need your opinions: 10" or 12" subs...which are better?

Originally Posted by RedRyder
Well im very partial to 10s! I say stick wit em!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Do you have any experience with various 10's? Like I said, I love my 10's currently, but it seems as if the bass range falls short on some of the more "bass-intensive" songs. Do you think this is a subwoofer SIZE issue? Or perhaps a subwoofer/amp QUALITY issue?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM

The thing with 10" subs are since they are smaller they have the ability to beat slightly faster then the larger subs(12,15,18) but they usaully tend to fall short when it comes to hitting those breath taking lows. From my experience iv ran three 10s and have gotten great sound and tremendous lows. In my opinion 10s just tend to fall short when listening to rap/hiphop but do awesome with faster tempos like rock/metal. And what size amp are you running?
from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure. I bought my audio system (head unit, subs, speakers, amp, box) about 8 years ago. The Camaro has been garaged (awaiting a turbo engine rebuild) for the last 6 of those years. I'm finally getting close to the time to finally finish my "project", so I'm doing my shopping and planning so when I start tearing it down, I know exactly what I'm getting and where I'm getting it from.

Like I said, I don't know what amp I'm running, but I bought it new, and it was a couple hundred bucks. Nothing extravagant, maybe something "entry-level". It sounds really nice, and much like you described, sounds great for rock songs and such, but anything with heavy bass, it seems to fall short.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 PM

since you already have the subthump box made for tens I would just step up your subs and depending on the amp that also. Im running 2 alpine type r 10s in my 94 in a custom 2.8cu.ft ported box. trust me people know when I'm coming down the road.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 PM

I have two Rockford Fosgate p1 12's in a sealed box. I'm running them bridged off a 300 watt Lightning Audio amp. They sound fantastic. I've got many complements.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by scottycamaroz28
since you already have the subthump box made for tens I would just step up your subs and depending on the amp that also. Im running 2 alpine type r 10s in my 94 in a custom 2.8cu.ft ported box. trust me people know when I'm coming down the road.
Scott, my Subthump box is for the hardtop models, and I'm converting my Camaro to a T-Top car, so I'll be buying a new box anyway. This is why I'm even pondering 10's vs. 12's...

Also, I don't necessarily want people to hear me coming from afar...I'm just looking for a richer bass, as it seems my 10's sound like can't keep up with songs that have a deeper or stronger bass in them.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:10 PM

ive had a single 10 and 12 in my car. the 12 was 3x louder, but it had a bigger box and i couldnt store my t tops. now i have a driver side stealth box with a ARC 10, not bad. Sounds very nice but isnt anywhere close in terms of how hard it hits, how loud it is, total bass, etc etc

but im not 17 anymore so the earth shaking bass isnt what im after.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:54 PM

The T-top version will a less available air space for the sub/s, so if you want deeper cleaner bass go with a single sub for more air space, and go with a better sub either a 10 or 12".
BTW, what 10" subs do you have now?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM

Both 10s and 12s sound good in these cars because of the shape of the back hatch but when I swapped from 10s to 12s I noticed a body massaging difference. I can rattle my cellphone out of my upholder. The 10s would just shake mirrors.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Esjar
Well I have no information about this particular issue so I am unable to make any comment. I would initially get through this subject and would provide my views.
And would that be because you are a spammer using an IP address in New Delhi, India?

Troll.......
Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 AM

It honestly depends on what you are listening to mostly. 10" Subs produce a much higher bass frequency than 12" subs. However i have 2 Alpine SWX-1043Ds and they can produce a very low bass response. So you can remedy your issue with higher end subs but like i said the 12's will get alot lower for say, rap, dubstep and most country. 10's are great for rock and have alot more "punch" to them. Just my opinion.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
And would that be because you are a spammer using an IP address in New Delhi, India?

Troll.......
It defeats the purpose of deleting a spam post when you quote it.

OP - All the new sub box will give you is room to store your t-tops. Might make more sense to keep your t-tops in the rear seat or leave them at home, depending on what you use the car for. Personally, I would think that two decent 10's would have PLENTY of power to provide adequate base in such a small car, but then again I listen to a fair bit of country so I don't need bass.

I don't see the need to jump to a different box just because you are doing a t-top conversion. Perhaps if it's a DD and you'll be pulling the t-tops off quite a bit. Another option would be to do the "wheel well" boxes and put 10's in there.. That will give you the trunk space for your t-top hatch storage mounts.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM

I have one JL audio 10 inch sub in a stealth box that fits in the cubby hole on the driver side
and a alpine 500 watt amp. the sub and box are a combo package has an expensive price tag
but it is the high end JL audio sub sounds great and I still have room for a cooler full of beer ,t tops and grocery

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Owners, I need your opinions: 10" or 12" subs...which are better?