Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Window and Radio not working not BCM HELP plz

Old 07-20-2015, 02:05 PM

Window and Radio not working not BCM HELP plz

My radio and windows have been going off and on for a while now I tried all kinds off tricls but now the are completely off/

I went and got another BCM for $50 and had no luck. I opened both of them up and they look fine. Im thinking of reinstalling the original the fuses look fine. Im going to try and replace the window relay to see if they are independent problems.Also what is a RAP? Do you think I can re-sale the BCM for more than $50

let me know thanks
Old 07-20-2015, 02:21 PM

Re: Window and Radio not working not BCM HELP plz

RAP is 'retained accessory power'. It is the module that allows the radio and windows to work until a door is opened (or it times out). If I have understood it correctly, if it is bad, you won't get radio or window power even if the key is on.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:26 PM

I answer questions in the order of newest to oldest as per how the 'new posts' link gives results. I answered your question and then I saw that you posted in another thread where Fred explained what RAP is as well. Do you not read the threads?
Old 07-20-2015, 06:15 PM
Administrator

I suspect the $50 BCM was a used unit. The problem with the solder joint in the RAP section of the BCM is so common, you may have two faulty units. You have to trace the 12 V power supply from the source, through the BCM, to the point where the power window and radio circuits diverge.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:40 PM

Another other thing that 97-up Fbody owners need to be aware of is the BCM (body control module) these are know to have a power window relay which has shoddy soldering and the 5 pins need to be de-soldered/re-soldered.
You will know because the radio and windows will start to work intermittently then stop working altogether.
This module is under the dash on the passenger side just below the glove box, google 97-up Fbody BCM repair.
Ask me how I know because I'm in the midst of doing these repairs now plus I'm adding the Autotrix window relay kits which bypass the BCM and put both windows on their own relay system, I hope this helps.