Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

What GM thinks about plastic panels vs fit/finish.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by billneu
Here in Minnesota our cars change colors in the Winter! From a clean color of your choice to a dull white! Salt white! NaCl...... Because of the cold weather only TRUE salt works, the other subsitutes like what you probably see in Chicago don't work very well when it gets below Zero F! Not too mention -20F.

They use real salt here too. You'll go for weeks when every car on the road looks white here too. I know it's colder in Minnesota than it is here...but we'll get -20 deg snaps in Chicago also.

BTW....cars really don't rust when it's below freezing. It becomes more difficult for the process of oxidation to occur as the temp drops below freezing. At 20 below...I'm pretty sure oxidation halts completely.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Banned

But as for the sides of the plastic cars they will not rust! And I have seen many non-plastic car up her with rust and not that old! Chips and dings that break the paint will and do rust! There are plenty of gravel roads around, as I'm sure there are everywere.

Ever seen a plastic panel shatter in the winter? They can and do. Denting is better than shattering.

I've also seen elderly Saturns where the door panels seem to be sagging. Can plastics of this sort actually distort? of plastic as compared to steel. What's going on? I
Old 10-13-2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
Who's talking about rigidity, Darth? I'm just refering to plastic panels' look, fit and finish. In my opinion they look like absolute crap. Even the fiberglass panels on a Corvette are exponentially better.

I wasn't really referring to you directly as far as the assumed rigidity and durability issues (plastic vs metal), but rather saying I believe that that is generally the 'downside' (incorrect as it may be) to plastic body panels as seen by the general public, as opposed to a panel gap issue.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:38 AM

BTW....cars really don't rust when it's below freezing. It becomes more difficult for the process of oxidation to occur as the temp drops below freezing. At 20 below...I'm pretty sure oxidation halts completely.
True, but the salt flies up everywhere and gets into every nook and cranny, just waiting for the warm weather and a bit of moisture so it can start attacking.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by R377
True, but the salt flies up everywhere and gets into every nook and cranny, just waiting for the warm weather and a bit of moisture so it can start attacking.
Ahh...One more reason why living in Texas is so great. They may throw down a little Salt/Sand mix just on the bridges once a year but past that no worries about rust here.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:46 AM

Just not wonderful to look at.....
Go ask some of the people who own the first mass produced car with Plastic panels. That is right 1984 Pontiac Fiero. They can look really good after all these years if the paint is taken care of.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by 91_z28_4me
Go ask some of the people who own the first mass produced car with Plastic panels. That is right 1984 Pontiac Fiero. They can look really good after all these years if the paint is taken care of.
Don't have to ask anyone....I can see for myself. Those panels looked pretty crappy to me, even when new.

Even without dings....they look like cheesey, illfitting, wavy panels.

Don't you guys understand?......even if you told me that those panels could juggle and sing "The Battle Hymn of The Republic".....I'd still think they look like ****!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:41 PM

I agree. I bought a 1984 Fiero new in 1983 and a 1987 GT used in 1989. Trust me, you get seasick looking at those body panels. Hawaii Five-O all the way.

I remember looking at the first Camaro in 1993 and saying, "Holy crap! That ain't that wavy!" Then I saw the fit. Believe me, anything that is WORSE than a 3rd Gen is BAD.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:28 PM

Go look at anything else made in 1984 and lets see how the faded paint, with dents scratches and rust look now!

Go look at an 1993 Dodge van or Ford or anything else and tell me what the paint looks like!

Our 1993 Olds is white with a black top! AND there is no warping, cracking (cold weather) and it was stored out in the winters! (20-30 below zero! and not to mention a few 100 degree summer days.

And no warping! Now I'm not sure just how picky some of you are, I'm not one to take a straight edge to my car body! nor do I stand over the roof looking for the imperfections! I have better things to do!

Like I said if you care about gaps or ruffles! Then buy painted steel. If you keep you car for more that 80k and don't want to look at dents, sctatches, or fading paint then buy plastic!

Plastic lasts forever, steel not quit that long!

p.s. I just saw a Fiero (not sure the year) but the body looked like new! To bad the drivetrains on them weren't as good! Or you would see more around!

Also its not really plastic, but a polycarbonate reinforced with fiberglass, so the shattering in the winter is not real likely!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:10 PM

Go look at anything else made in 1984 and lets see how the faded paint, with dents scratches and rust look now!

Go look at an 1993 Dodge van or Ford or anything else and tell me what the paint looks like!

Are you saying that the paint applied to plastic panels requires less maintenance (ie., cleaning, polishing, waxing), than paint applied to sheetmetal?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:50 PM

Not sure but isn't the color impregnated (sp?) into the color? Just asking!

I have never applied wax or polish to our van and never will (too many plactic stickers), but when I wash it, it sure appears new!

I know white doesn't fade but the black roof should and hasn't!

P.S. Z284ever I did some checking but it appears the IDOT (Illinois Department of Trans) uses what they call Road Salt or CaCL not NaCl. Therefore not real salt!

Have you ever created snow from a cup of hot water?

All you need is -30 below zero air! And throw the hot water up in air and you will get snow! Real cool to see!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:17 PM

P.S. Z284ever I did some checking but it appears the IDOT (Illinois Department of Trans) uses what they call Road Salt or CaCL not NaCl. Therefore not real salt!

Any difference regarding corrosiveness?
Old 10-13-2003, 11:12 PM

It's not just the corrosiveness but the enviromental reasons also! Not just car related.

I believe that beside Nacl works better in the cold but it has a tendency to kill the enviroment!

But atleast it is cheap!

p.s. I had a '87 Bonnivelle that I bought used in '93 with 68k that was a farm car and had the q-panels rusting.

But even last summer the panels still hadn't rusted thru, I had since sold it to a sister in-law and after 170k she finally recked it! But no rust thru! But the clear coat and paint had long since left the building!

And one other thing, have you ever seen a steel car get hit by 1" Hail! Plastic wins again! My van was hit and the Bonniville was also! The insurance guy didn't look at the VAN! But I collected for the Bonniville! Even California get Hail!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:34 AM

Re: What GM thinks about plastic panels vs fit/finish.

Ya, ya but can they be epoxied or welded when cracked?
Chris
Old 08-08-2013, 11:43 AM

Re: What GM thinks about plastic panels vs fit/finish.

Originally Posted by iseethereforiam
Ya, ya but can they be epoxied or welded when cracked?
Chris
Holy resurrection, Batman!

How did you find this thread from 10 years ago?

Quick Reply: What GM thinks about plastic panels vs fit/finish.