Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Ford's Best-Selling F-150 to Lose 700 lbs to Meet EPA Fuel Standards

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Thumbs up Ford's Best-Selling F-150 to Lose 700 lbs to Meet EPA Fuel Standards

Hopefully aluminum is as strong as steel!

DailyTech - Report: Ford's Best-Selling F-150 to Lose 700 lbs to Meet EPA Fuel Standards

The Ford F-150 will make extensive use of aluminum which could add $1,500 to the cost of the truck

Upcoming fuel standards proposed by the Obama Administration are affecting all auto manufacturers. The regulations would see the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) rise every year for manufacturers from 2017 through 2025. By 2025, auto manufacturer will be expected to meet a fleetwide 54.5 mpg CAFE average.

The Department of Transportation says that meeting the 54.5 mpg CAFE average will save customers nearly $7,000 in lifetime fuel costs, but that figure will be mostly offset by the increase in costs associated with more advanced powertrains and lightweight materials needed to achieve that goal (the National Automobile Dealers Association claims that "fuel saving technologies" will add $5,000 to the cost of a 2025 model year vehicle).

I. Aluminum to the Rescue

According to a new report by the Wall Street Journal, Ford is already well on its way to making one of its most popular gas guzzlers more fuel efficient in the coming years. The F-Series has been the best selling truck in America for the past 30 years, so any drastic changes made to Ford's most profitable vehicle line aren't taken lightly. But in this case, "lightly" is exactly what's on Ford's mind -- the next generation F-150 will reportedly make extensive use of aluminum to drastically shed the pounds to boost fuel economy by as much as 25%.

The current F-150's hood has been made of aluminum since 2004, but applications of the lightweight metal will spread to include the doors, cargo box, fenders, front suspension/steering components, and portions of the interior structure. When all is said and done, the next generation F-150 will shed roughly 700 pounds of weight thanks to aluminum.

"Aluminum is certainly a big opportunity for weight reduction," said Raj Nair, Ford's global chief of product development earlier this year. "We have been public that weight reduction is going to be a big part of our strategy."

II. Extra Aluminum Means Added Costs for Customers

However, the intensive use of aluminum in the next generation F-150 doesn't come without its downsides. Aluminum is harder to work with than steel when it comes to building vehicles. In addition, aluminum body parts are costlier and harder to repair which in turn leads to higher insurance premiums.

And then there's the issue of costs for the buyer when it comes time to sign on the dotted line for new truck. It's estimated that Ford's new aluminum obsession will add roughly $1,500 in material costs to the F-150 (which would most likely be passed on to the customer). This is a risky bet for a vehicle that is a cash cow for Ford.

However, some feel that customers will eventually come around to Ford's master plan. "There is going to be a certain percentage of the people that will bitch and complain, but they will ultimately get that vehicle," said Mike Shaw, owner of more than a dozen auto dealerships in the state of Colorado. "They may hold off for a little and keep their old ones longer. Then they will buy a new one."

Naturally, a spokesman for Ford is downplaying the Wall Street Journal's article on such a dramatic weight reduction, perhaps not wanting to spoil what it has in store for F-150. "It is premature to discuss specific approaches or solutions that we might use for future products," stated Ford spokesman Said Deep in an interview with Detroit News. "Ford is already a leader in aluminum use in full-sized pickups. We're constantly looking at multiple ways to improve the fuel efficiency and capabilities of our cars and trucks with innovative technologies."

III. Gains in Fuel Economy Already Being Made

Reducing weight isn’t the only option Ford has on the table for increasing fuel economy on its best-seller. Two years ago, Ford introduced an all-new lineup of V6 and V8 engines to the F-150 to not only increase power, but also increase fuel efficiency across the board.

The 302hp 3.7-liter V6 already helps the current F-150 achieve best-in-class fuel economy of 17/23 (city/highway). Likewise, the EcoBoost V6 has been a popular option with buyers, offering performance superior to the available 5.0-liter V8 while achieving fuel economy ratings of 16/22 (city/highway).

The two V6 options have proved to be powerful and popular enough to account for over 50% of all F-150 sales; numbers that are typically unheard of for a full-size pickup truck.

Reduced vehicle weight along with more efficient powertrains could make for some interesting options for truck buyers in the future. It may seem sacrilege to even mention this, but could we possibly even see a four-cylinder EcoBoost F-150 in the future?

Sources: Wall Street Journal, Detroit News
Old 07-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Re: Ford's Best-Selling F-150 to Lose 700 lbs to Meet EPA Fuel Standards

Was bs'ing with a Paintless Dent Removal guy (while he fixed my car) and I asked how much harder aluminum was to work with.

He stated it was, for lack of better words "an absolute pain in the ***."

I wonder how much better the MPG will be.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:15 PM

I would like to 700lbs removed from the Camaro.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:18 PM

700lbs my ***.

Good luck with it only costing $1,500 per vehicle. Ford probably spent that much in just research alone.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 PM

Back when I work for GM at Janesville around 2004-2005 GM was trying out aluminum lift gates on Tahoes. The biggest problem with it is that the finished outer surface aluminum was a different grade than the aluminum stamping inner door and could not be welded together it just wouldn't fuse. So the door, because of the different grades of AL is a one shot deal. If it gets stress cracks it's shot. Some automakers get around the stress issue in AL doors by giving you the "free" upgrade to power closing doors, much less stress on a door to have a motor gently lower door than giving it a healthy SLAM!.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 PM

My mustang has an aluminum hood and it got littered with hail dents about a year ago. I have an awesome paintless dent guy and he got them all out. Said it was a complete pain in the ***.

Aluminum doesn't rust like steel does either... I could see rust belt people loving these new trucks. I'm intrigued... a TRUE 25% savings in fuel economy could quickly pay for the higher initial cost.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:17 AM
slt

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
My mustang has an aluminum hood and it got littered with hail dents about a year ago. I have an awesome paintless dent guy and he got them all out. Said it was a complete pain in the ***.
Same with my old Evo, lots of aluminum panels. Got caught in a hail storm, that was not fun
Old 07-28-2012, 11:17 AM

I'm sorry but its a TRUCK! If you purchase a truck and plan to actually use it. you're going to hate an aluminum cargo box. (Here's hoping the inner box is at least steel.)
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM

Aluminum doesn't rust like steel does either...
What's interesting about that is that aluminum does oxidize (rust) when exposed to air. It's just that unlike iron oxide, the aluminum oxide is basically fairly bright silver and it clings to the aluminum, preventing further oxidation.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:03 PM

I can see GM or Dodge commercials now;

"Unlike the flimsy cheap aluminum cargo box on a Ford you get a real american steel box with {insert brand here}"

I suppose this a pretty balsy maneuver for a truck manufacturer though. Good luck Ford! I hope it works out for them.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 PM

Nobody else has mentioned it... a 700lb lighter 5.0 F150, the ecobost V6, and the raptor are going to also be a hell of a lot FASTER too.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 AM

Nobody else has mentioned it... a 700lb lighter 5.0 F150, the ecobost V6, and the raptor are going to also be a hell of a lot FASTER too.
Yeah, but pickups aren't ever going to be race cars.

I was always under the impression that truck guys are much more interested in things like towing and payload. I'd be more interested to see how those numbers are affected by extensive use of aluminum than anything else.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:05 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. 700lbs. seems like a lot.

That kind of weight loss though would make the 3.7L a decent engine in 4x4 crew cab trucks though.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM

On automotive news, Daily Tech tends to take news and streach it a bit because anyone can write a story or post a blog there. And it shows.

The real deal is Ford is targeting a 700 pound loss on the next F150.

When John Coletti left SVT and Ford, refering back to the Ford Lightning program (which was killed when the final go-ahead would have been given) he stated that the future in the performance (and fuel economy) for vehicles such as that would be done through weight savings over increasing power.

Ford has been on a quest to drop weight of it's F-series trucks for years, extensively using aluminum. Now Ford seems to be at a point where making an aluminum frame and cab is economically feasible, practical, and can be durable enough to replace steel. Making those 2 items of aluminum instead of steel is expected to save between 200 and 500 pounds depending on the model (ie: 2wd shortbed vs longbed crew cab).

The remainder of the weight savings will come through things like aluminum axles and differential cases, and because of lighter weight of the chassis and body, smaller & lighter engines, brakes, etc...

However, here's the deal:

Aluminum truck frames has been experimented with before. In fact, GM even toyed with it. The problem is that so much aluminum is needed to get a truck frame as strong as steel that the cost comes too high for the miniscule weight advantage.

If you read between the lines, you'll realize that this aluminum frame F150 will likely have a little less payload capacity and be a little more "light duty" than the current F-150.

Ford's reaction to the WSJ article has been to say it's "premature", which is "press-speak" for "we haven't hit that target yet". For a 2014 production timeframe, Ford would be into severe durability testing right now, and presumably if any new aluminum part doesn't hold up, it's going to be reengineered or replaced with steel... hence why Ford calls the story premature.

Unlike passenger cars, there is a HUGE opportunity to take weight out of large trucks. While todays car bodies are stamped unibody, load carrying steel, trucks body on frame construction and many cast steel parts (many which were replaced with aluminum in cars long ago) gives an opportunity to shed large amounts of weight.... as long as it can maintain durability (or lose only the durability margins which are already huge in trucks).

If by now, you're worried that your next Super Duty F250 won't hold up as well as your current one on the farm or pulling your mini oceanliner behind you, there's no need to worry....

...the F250 and larger Ford trucks do NOT fall under the new CAFE standards, and therefore aren't part of Ford's F-series weight shedding program.

Last edited by guionM; 07-30-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Ford has been on a quest to drop weight of it's F-series trucks for years
Hmm, hasn't the F-150 steadily been gaining weight over the last few generations? I suppose you could say the weight "loss" has been in making each new generation lighter than they might have been without taking those steps or a "loss" when considering all the new safety and gadget features. But regardless, I am pretty sure the current truck is "thicker" than it ever has been...

Quick Reply: Ford's Best-Selling F-150 to Lose 700 lbs to Meet EPA Fuel Standards