Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

VF Commodore / Chevy SS Reveal

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 PM

Re: VF Commodore / Chevy SS Reveal

No manual? (scratches off list of potential list of next cars)

It looks nice, I don't need an aggressive looking car and the interior looks really good but if I am going to put that much cash into a car I want it exactly how I would like it.
Also do we know if this is an LS3 or a Gen V?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 PM

I think it said LS3.
It's not even gonna get the LT1.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM

Gee, am I the only one that likes the car?

The front end looks aggressive, yet polished. It looks more modern than my G8 and I really don't mind that it doesn't have a manual. As a daily driver, this will be a damn nice car!!

I WILL replace my G8 with this car........
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
Obviously they put the least amount of effort into this as they possibly could. That would explain the styling since that is what Holden came up with. The lack of a manual absolutely baffles me though - all the parts are there.

Maybe if we complain enough we can get the manual later like BMW does for the manual M5 only available in the US. If nothing comes of this I'll have to look for a used CTS-V.
I don't have time to chase Chevy's silly mistakes, I thought Chrysler/Dodge was going to have a run for it's money with this new car, but as of right now I think Chrysler is the one ahead with it's outdated LX line. (Esp, with the 8 speed Hemi's coming)

Is this SS going to handle better and have nicer braking? Sure... But Idc GM muffed this one up, and if sales are sub-par they can't blame the car they should blame there execution. There was a void in the market and they decided to go head on with the Charger instead of deviating a little bit to make there car special.

I know I can't be the only person who feels this way, maybe we built too much suspense with this car and that's why I'm so disappointed. I guess I'll just have to wait till the LT1 version of this car comes out and see if GM can salvage the disappointment.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 AM

Ugh.

It all just makes me sick.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 AM

For all the people out there that have no interest in an auto SRT8, or an impractical Camaro or Mustang, but just want a RWD V8 manual sedan, this was the answer. The manual trans take rate for the G8 GXP was 46%!!! GM really screwed this one up. There went half their sales.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Silverhawk
Gee, am I the only one that likes the car?

The front end looks aggressive, yet polished. It looks more modern than my G8 and I really don't mind that it doesn't have a manual. As a daily driver, this will be a damn nice car!!

I WILL replace my G8 with this car........
No, you're not the only one who likes it. I like it, but they didn't do very much to make the Commodore a Chevy in this case. I'd like to think there will be a manual, but likely in a down the road GXP kind of package — why I don't know, since VF like VE was engineered with a manual as part of the package. On the surface it looks like it would be no cost, no brainer addition.

It's the first Chevy sedan sold in NA in a good long while that makes for a compelling package even if its sporty styling is understated and relatively conservative, its still pretty classy looking.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 PM

This is what the SS should look like.

This was done by MonaroSS over at GMInsideNews.

Forget about the rest of the car (except the exagerated fender flares) and just look at the front end.
Why does the SS not have a front end like this?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 PM

The car has been peculiar since its inception. From the bad name or lack of a proper name to it being a left hand drive copy of the Holden Commodore SS- V and yet they left the manual trans in Oz to using the last gen small block v8.

Ruess says they want to market this thing as a Premium performance Chevrolet but attempts to do so without a manual trans option? Bad decision.

The LS3 is a great engine but the Gen V LT1 will be in the C7 by the time this car goes on sale as a 2014. It's not a big complaint but for a RWD V8 sedan that isn't likely to be light why not have the added power and fuel economy improvements from the new LT1.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM

If you think you're disappointed now... wait till they announce the sticker price.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM

Like the rest of you, surprised they're only bringing the auto version over your side of the world.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
If you think you're disappointed now... wait till they announce the sticker price.
Hmmm probably more than the MSRP of the Volt. This SS has $40k + all over it.

Wonder if there will be a charge for the automatic? Normally the 6-speed manual is a no cost option.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:34 AM

The manual was actually $700 extra in the G8 GXP.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
This is what the SS should look like.

This was done by MonaroSS over at GMInsideNews.

Forget about the rest of the car (except the exagerated fender flares) and just look at the front end.
Why does the SS not have a front end like this?
Wow, something based on that would have been alot better. Chevy needs to get it together. The G8 was at least aggressive looking. Then again, why ask why when they couldn't even come up with a name for this car? Or a manual to give it? Geniuses at work! Hopefully they improve it in the next few years, if it lasts. If it doesn't, they'll blame it on the car and not them, while Dodge continues to sell Chargers and such all day and night.

It seems that Chevy likes all of it's cars to unfortunately really resemble each other, except the Camaro and Corvette. Can't even say that anymore though, since the C7 looks like they took a Camaro, a Ferrari, and a Viper, mixed them all together and said, "Yup, that'll do! New Corvette right there!"

Last edited by IZ28; 02-18-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM

Honestly you shouldn't be surprised at much with this. It's a good looking if not understated car and it will be quick for its segment, and I would only guess (hope?) that a manual will be coming sometime after launch. As far as styling goes, I wasn't expecting much to be different. Is GM aiming for anywhere close to LX-type sales numbers for this? I don't think so, and thus it's little surprise that they'd budget almost nothing for changes to Holden's basic design.

This is classic, conservative Chevrolet.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 02-18-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: VF Commodore / Chevy SS Reveal