Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Top 20 selling vehicles for April 2013

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 AM

Top 20 selling vehicles for April 2013

TABLE-Top-20 selling vehicles in U.S. through April | Reuters

Top list is just April, bottom list is Jan-April 2013.

I'm glad to see the new Escape is doing well, I wasn't sure how that would go since the styling is so dramatically different than the last generation. I think what really sells vehicles like the Escape and Equinox is the terrific MPG for a vehicles of that size with that much utility.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 AM

Re: Top 20 selling vehicles for April 2013

For as bad as the Malibu is (allegedly), it is on both lists.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM

The new Ford Fusion is destroying the Malibu in sales. What makes it even worse is the Malibu is down almost 12% from last year at this time, when the lots still had some of the previous generation Malibu's on them.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 AM

Malibu got shafted by the press for some reason.

Once all the negative press was out there, that was it. Party over.

Still can't comprehend why it's not selling better. Best styled mid-sizer out there.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 PM

I like the Malibu too. I don't think Chevy is selling the new Malibu to fleets, or at least I haven't seen any. Ford on the other hand is selling the Fusion to fleets, our state just got a huge order of Fusions and Escapes.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass

Still can't comprehend why it's not selling better. Best styled mid-sizer out there.
I have to disagree with you on this one. I like the Fusion better (and Impala styling the best). I also like the Fusions engine choices better. Plus with the Fusion you can get AWD or a manual transmission.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass

The Malibu Eco (which was the 1st new Malibu out) got shafted by the press, but not without reason.

The Fusion is destroying Malibu in sales for a reason. Styling, interior, and a Hybrid system that actually gets high fuel economy.

GM is doing an emergency restyling on Malibu this year, so it's not over yet.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM

I'd like to see what the take rate is with AWD on the Fusion. I heard on the Cadillac ATS it is almost 50%.

Last edited by Z28x; 05-08-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM

My wife absolutely loves the style of the new Malibu. I do as well. The only reason we didn’t by one is because we wanted a smaller car for scooting around town in so we bought a 5-door Sonic.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 PM

^That's an excellent point. The "old" malibu was on lots with the Cobalt and Aveo. The "new" malibu is sold next to the Cruze and Sonic, which appear to be well made and selling well. Could be stealing sales as mentioned above.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 PM

Both of GM's mid size cars are having problems, Malibu and Regal. My solution would be to switch both to RWD. The Regal on Alpha (which rumor says is happening) and Malibu on this new cheap, scalable RWD platform Mark Reuss has been talking about wanting to build. This would provide a few advantages and help set many products apart.
1. RWD will sell. Look at the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. Both have been very popular. I see no reason why a well executed mid size RWD Malibu could not still compete against other mid size cars in its class that are FWD. The RWD would help set it apart.
2. This would allow the Cruze to grow a little bit. It should stay a compact but would have a little bit more separation between it and the Sonic. I spent time with both recently (and bought a Sonic Hatch). They are too similar in size. I’m talking just an inch here and there to make sure it has best in class room all around.
3. This platform would also be used for a line or small, global, niche RWD cars. Coupe and Shooting Brake (Nomad!). Both would slot below Camaro and start in the $17-18K range. Sharing as many Gamma and Delta interior parts as possible to help economies of scale.
4. Pretty much the same plan for Buick but Regal uses Alpha (since it can support the price needed for Alpha) and GN and GNX could be offered.
5. GMC gets a version of the smaller Chevy platform for a Granite. Think HHRSS here but RWD.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
The Malibu Eco (which was the 1st new Malibu out) got shafted by the press, but not without reason.

The Fusion is destroying Malibu in sales for a reason. Styling, interior, and a Hybrid system that actually gets high fuel economy.

I agree with some of your points, but styling is subjective. Both cars have a nice interior, but nothing ground breaking styling/layout wise. I think the Malibu wins on the interior.

We just got a new Fusion in at work last week, I picked it up from fleet and drove it back. I love the front end styling, but from the side profile and rear, its just ok. Of course this just a basic fleet car that doesn't have nice wheels or extra trim. I found the seats to be really supportive and have nice side bolsters. It has a small display screen for the radio and other setting. When you start the car a graphic of a the Ford emblem comes on the screen and it looks like its something you would see on a Atari or Nintendo from the 80s.

Our new Fusion at work. Note the '07 Malibu in the background. We've got several of these and I have been really impressed with them, they have all been relatively trouble free. All of them are high mileage with the most being 180K+. My work car, other than regular maintenance has only had the gas cap replaced.
[IMG][/IMG]

Malibu interior

Fusion interior
Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Thank goodness. The current Malibu is hideous in my eyes.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM

I hope the emergency restyle of Malibu is the end of the Chevy bar style nose. Glad to see it go.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 PM

^^Gee, that only took 13 years to eradicate from the lineup....

Quick Reply: Top 20 selling vehicles for April 2013