CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   SRT Viper vs. Corvette ZR1 at Laguna Seca (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/srt-viper-vs-corvette-zr1-laguna-seca-871488/)

30thZ286speed 01-24-2013 09:42 PM

SRT Viper vs. Corvette ZR1 at Laguna Seca

This is a pretty cool comparison. I let you all watch the video, but one of these cars sets a record lap time for a production car at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway. Pretty impressive.

SRT Viper GTS vs Chevrolet Corvette ZR1! - Head 2 Head Episode 24 - YouTube

AdioSS 01-25-2013 01:20 AM

Re: SRT Viper vs. Corvette ZR1 at Laguna Seca

That was very cool! Makes me proud of the American super cars :)

30thZ286speed 01-28-2013 07:55 PM

Wow its dead in here!

Apparently the guy over the SRT program (can't remember the name) raised quite a stink over this comparisison saying it was biased and they (Viper development team) had bested the ZR1 on every performance level with the new Viper.

I can't believe that Motor Trend would be biased in favor of GM.

King Moose SS 01-28-2013 10:23 PM

Lap time's don't lie... The ZR1 just has that monster edge with those Michellin Sport Cup tires. I'm not sure how the SRT team could claim they bested the ZR1 on every performance level. The ZR1 has a way better suspension (magnetic vs standard), has way better brakes (carbon ceramic vs steel), and has way better tires (Cup sports vs Pirelli w.e's). It's hard to beat that combo.

ImportedRoomate 01-29-2013 07:19 AM

Ralf Gilles is the SRT head and he already commented that the Viper was much closer to the ZR1 in their tests. Basically he said yes, the ZR1 is better, but not by much. lol.

99SilverSS 01-29-2013 05:19 PM

Great video. On paper they are a draw. Very close on the drag strip too.

While the Viper might be brand new and now has some added technology. The same complaints are alive and will as with past Vipers. It's less refined, more difficult to drive fast, wild and crazy at times. And in this test the steel brakes started to fade at half a lap. While the interior is better than the old C6 the comments that the seats were too firm and not as supportive enough isn't a good start. I think part of this is that Dodge wants the Viper to be more brutish. It’s a lower volume seller than the Vette and that seems to be what its customer base wants.

The Vette wins because it's been continuously improved over the years. We could all point to the carbon brakes, magnetic ride control and sticky Michelin tires. But this Vette really wins because as Pobst stated it's more refined and that allows for greater confidence and the performance is easier to access.

Viper is great and I'm glad it's back. The bar is set very high. It'll be the top American representative for the next few years while Chevy gets the C7 up to speed and the higher performance Z models are brought to market.

The most impressive point to me is that both of these cars lap Laguna Seca quicker than the 458 Italia, Lexus LFA and GTR.

SSCamaro99_3 01-30-2013 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS (Post 6931835)
The most impressive point to me is that both of these cars lap Laguna Seca quicker than the 458 Italia, Lexus LFA and GTR.

Exactly. Think back to how things were 10 years ago, would have been unheard of. 20 years ago just plain laughable.