Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Sports Cars: Not Firing on All Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Sports Cars: Not Firing on All Cylinders

I'm shocked Miata sales are so low with 0 competition in that segment...maybe they are all buying Camaros now?

No mention of the Genesis....

Muscle cars are moving okay, but the rest of the sports car market is stuck in neutral. A 1,000-unit-per-month pace for a given sports car is becoming the norm, leaving some to wonder how long some automakers will - or can - support such frivolities, the cost-saving advantages of increased platform-sharing notwithstanding.

One example that will concern all car lovers is Chevrolet's Corvette. The car already endured its worst sales years in a half-century in 2009 and the mighty Corvette's prospects don't seem to be improving: sales were off in April by 22.6 percent and Chevy moved just 1,089 units. Corvette sales through April stood at 3,522 - a 21-percent plunge from its moribund 2009 total - and a pace that would have the Corvette barely cracking the five-figure sales mark for the full year. Not likely to help matters: a recall of more than 40,000 2005-2006 models for steering issues.

Mazda's legendary MX-5 Miata may be the world's most revered affordable sports car - and the best-sellling roadster of all time - but its 20-year love affair with buyers appears to be on the rocks. Sales in April dribbled to 577, a 55.9-percent plunge from last year. The Miata's year-to-date tally of 1,840 sales, a 42-percent drop, seems a resolute indicator of the ongoing troubles the segment faces.

In April, another storied favorite, Nissan Motor Co. Ltd's 370Z, dropped 39 percent to a meager 952 sales, while year-to-date figures put the 370Z down 42.3 percent to a total of 3,419 units.

Nissan's high-profile, high-priced GT-R can't be thrilling company accountants, either. When the car launched in mid-2008, the GT-R had enthusiasts of means jostling for position on dealer waiting lists - now there is considerably less demand: just 106 GT-Rs found buyers in April and year-to-date sales are off 42 percent to 331 units.

Staying on the segment's high end, Mercedes-Benz shifted a meager 182 SLK roadsters in April, a 40.3-percent decline, while year-to-date SLK sales stand at a miniscule 578 - a 46-percent plunge from like-2009, a year that saw Mercedes sell a total of just 2,566 SLKs.

Nor is the segment's most ubiquitous marque, Porsche, immune. Year-to-date sales of the seminal 911 line are down 18 percent compared with a mighty weak 2009. The Boxster/Cayman sportscars are down 21 percent year-to-date. As with the Corvette, a recall of all of its brand-new Panamera models casts a cloud over the brand.

The sales trajectory of Mazda Motor Corp.'s RX-8 is one that bears watching. The company sold just 128 in the U.S. in April and 428 in the first four months.
Mazda reportedly will not sell the car in Europe after 2011 because its unique rotary engine cannot comply with new Euro V emissions standards beginning that year - and speculation is running widely the situation will prompt Mazda to discontinue the car altogether next year.

With U.S. sales tracking for barely 1,000 units this year, the RX-8 is not making much of a case for its continuance. And its sales decline may be viewed as emblematic of a prolonged struggle for relevance that now goes beyond the traditional boom-and-bust cycles of the past. This time, is it the recession, or are sports cars just not that desirable anymore? - Bill Visnic, Senior Editor
http://www.autoobserver.com/2010/05/...-downturn.html
Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Corvette sales are very concerning, even in a down economy.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:37 PM

All sports cars mentioned in the article also happen to be 'compact', I notice.

However, Camaro and Mustang combined don't seem to suffer the same fate. There is merit in offering a 'practical' coupe after all.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby

However, Camaro and Mustang combined don't seem to suffer the same fate. There is merit in offering a 'practical' coupe after all.
Of course there is merit. The Camaro/Mustang sell to a completely different demographic than the 'true' sports cars. Camaro/Mustang buyers have lower incomes and are typically younger than Corvette buyers, I will assume Miata/Nissan's Z cars as well.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Of course there is merit. The Camaro/Mustang sell to a completely different demographic than the 'true' sports cars. Camaro/Mustang buyers have lower incomes and are typically younger than Corvette buyers, I will assume Miata/Nissan's Z cars as well.
That's exactly my point. Think Alpha and what some sports car proponents on this forum want 6G Camaro to be!

Be careful what you wish for. You might get the best handling sports car in the world... but it doesn't guarantee sales success!
Old 05-08-2010, 03:35 AM

Something profound and quite plausible:

In one fell swoop, Chevrolet achieved permanent ascendancy in the performance war. Nothing short of a Porsche — or a Corvette — could touch an LT1 Camaro in full song. I drove an early-production ’94 through the hills of Kentucky lo these many years ago and was absolutely crushed by the speed and power. Coupled to a six-speed manual, the original fourth-gen F-body was easily the most capable vehicle ever offered at that price level.

Wouldn’t you know, the SN95 Mustang outsold it from Day One. The general public preferred the friendly accessibility of the Ford to the rocketship performance and Countach-esque seating position of the Chevrolet. The men from GM had backed the wrong horse. As young buyers moved to import brands in record numbers, the market for these increasingly expensive and difficult-to-insure ponycars shifted back to the same men who had purchased them a decade or two previous. Those men didn’t want a road-going rocketship. They wanted to sit up straight and enjoy themselves.

GM’s response was typically bizarre: they restyled the Camaro a bit and dropped in the LS1 aluminum V8 from the then-new C5 Corvette. This simply emphasized the model’s existing virtues — speed, power, supercar proportions — while doing nothing about the problems that led to the Mustang’s runaway sales victory. The good news: for the first time since the Trans Am SD-455, you could buy a thirteen-second car for a working man’s wage. The bad news: nobody wanted to.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...et-camaro-ls1/
Old 05-08-2010, 07:53 AM

Toyota & Subaru have their versions coming out soon as well. I wonder how they will fare?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 95redLT1
Toyota & Subaru have their versions coming out soon as well. I wonder how they will fare?
How is the Genesis coupe doing?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:56 AM

Sports car sales are down because the best 2 aren't made anymore.
If people can't get a Kappa, it seems they don't want anything else.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
How is the Genesis coupe doing?
I don't think anyone really knows except Hyundai, they still bundle the Coupe and Sedan sales in their monthly release. Combined they have been selling 2,000-2400 monthly....I'd say its safe to say somewhere around 800-1000 a month.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by HuJass
Sports car sales are down because the best 2 aren't made anymore.
If people can't get a Kappa, it seems they don't want anything else.
Or we already have them and aren't giving them up!
Old 05-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by LeadSled1
Ain't that the truth.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:12 AM

That's exactly my point. Think Alpha and what some sports car proponents on this forum want 6G Camaro to be!

Be careful what you wish for. You might get the best handling sports car in the world... but it doesn't guarantee sales success!
You're stretching logic here. The fact that 2-seat sports cars are not selling right now says nothing about what a bit smaller 2+2 Camaro or Mustang would do in the marketplace.

The blurb you posted about the 4th Gen F-body vs. Mustang is actually interesting because the SN95 Mustang was a smaller car than the 4th Gen in every way. I don't think people suddenly became scared of performance - they didn't see the 4thG as a practical daily driver. The same seating position and other quirks wouldn't be replicated in an Alpha car.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by LeadSled1
A quick check on Autotrader shows 1,747 Solstice and Sky for sale at the moment. From the forums I follow I gather they're not an easy sell.

My thought is that this is a type of car that people tire of quite quickly and tough economic times make it one of the first toys they unload. If there's good choice in the used market why buy new?

For the record we have an '07 Solstice Z0K.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by poSSum
A quick check on Autotrader shows 1,747 Solstice and Sky for sale at the moment. From the forums I follow I gather they're not an easy sell.

My thought is that this is a type of car that people tire of quite quickly and tough economic times make it one of the first toys they unload. If there's good choice in the used market why buy new?

For the record we have an '07 Solstice Z0K.
If I had to unload my "secondary" cars, my Solstice GXP would be second to last to go.
I think the car is amazing. I love that little car. I've never driven a more fun car than the Sol. It's quick, it handles awesome, it's comfortable (once you're in), it has nice creature comforts, and it rides nice.
Of all the cars I have ever owned in the 24 years I have been driving, none of them have ever pleased me so much for such a long period of time like the Solstice has. It quickly became my favorite vehicle I have ever owned.

Nothing like running down a two-lane country road with the top down and old AC/DC cranked thru the Monsoon.

Quick Reply: Sports Cars: Not Firing on All Cylinders