Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Sonata 2.0 Turbo - 274hp / 34mpg

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:42 PM

Sonata 2.0 Turbo - 274hp / 34mpg

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-sonata-turbo.html

“Think about it – more horsepower than any of our V6 competitors, with better gas mileage than any competitive 4-cylinder model
As of now these numbers aren't official, but damn they're impressive if true.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:54 PM

Major downside is that the turbo will be available ONLY with an automatic.

Cruze? Anything to counter? :crickets:
Old 03-31-2010, 07:14 PM

The Sonata is a midsize. It goes up against the Malibu, Accord, Camry etc.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:22 PM

really intelligent VNT turbos can open the turbine A/R to .90 at part throttle to avoid exhaust losses. the best of all worlds.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:43 AM

Do they still give you a ten year warranty on that too? I think they will lose their as if they do. Still, looks like a pretty nice setup.

-Geoff
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM

I think this car will make a run in the rags and win a few competitions vs the Malibu, Accord, Camry and Fusion. They're very nice looking in person, and especially in their highest trim level.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by El Duce
I think this car will make a run in the rags and win a few competitions vs the Malibu, Accord, Camry and Fusion. They're very nice looking in person, and especially in their highest trim level.
I sat in one last week. It's straight up impressive how nice that interior is. It looks good, and it feels good. The seats were very comfortable wrapped in a soft and sporty looking cloth. The rest of the car looks really nicely done too.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Koz2
I sat in one last week. It's straight up impressive how nice that interior is. It looks good, and it feels good. The seats were very comfortable wrapped in a soft and sporty looking cloth. The rest of the car looks really nicely done too.
A guy at work bought one and when I walked outside the first day he bought it, I walked straight to it to have a look. I wasn't sure what it was at first. I saw the "H" in the grill, but I thought that it must be the new car that places higher than the Genesis. I was astounded to see it was the new Sonata. Very impressive.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 AM

Its too bad GM doesn't have a 2.0L turbo four they can counter with in the current Malibu... wait...
Old 04-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Yeah, is there any reason under the sun why GM appears to be abandoning the LNF engine? Is it weak auto transmissions and torque, or is there some other villain?

It's got nice output that would put it (Malibu or any other car for that matter) right into the thick of things with this Sonata and the Fusion Sport too, among others.

Some shots of the new Sonata make the car look weird, but in the flesh it looks fine - I'm not sure about the overly busy grille though.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM

Regal GS better take note. 255hp is not going to cut it.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by SharpShooter_SS
Yeah, is there any reason under the sun why GM appears to be abandoning the LNF engine? Is it weak auto transmissions and torque, or is there some other villain?

It's got nice output that would put it (Malibu or any other car for that matter) right into the thick of things with this Sonata and the Fusion Sport too, among others.

Some shots of the new Sonata make the car look weird, but in the flesh it looks fine - I'm not sure about the overly busy grille though.
The Regal is getting a 2.0 turbo that appears to be LNF derived but with less power and more torque. I don't know if it will be designated LNF, though.

But if its going in Regal, seems it would be easy for the 2012 Malibu since they are both SWB Ep II.

Originally Posted by ZZtop
Regal GS better take note. 255hp is not going to cut it.
But the Regal does have 295 torque to 269 in the Sonata...
Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by El Duce
A guy at work bought one and when I walked outside the first day he bought it, I walked straight to it to have a look. I wasn't sure what it was at first. I saw the "H" in the grill, but I thought that it must be the new car that places higher than the Genesis. I was astounded to see it was the new Sonata. Very impressive.

The waterfall dash/console is very CTS ish
Old 04-01-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by BlkLT1Z28
The waterfall dash/console is very CTS ish
And the Nav is like an Infiniti and the climate control is similar Volvos. Nobody's ever said the Hyundai was original. If they're simply stealing the best ideas from other companies and putting them in one car, so be it.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:20 PM

This design element is even showing up in the new Accent as is the turbo, albeit in 140 hp form. The Elantra is even rumored to be getting a turbo. Hyundai is starting to get serious.

Quick Reply: Sonata 2.0 Turbo - 274hp / 34mpg