CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Solstice to be built at Wilmington? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/solstice-built-wilmington-141328/)

Z284ever 07-03-2003 09:54 PM

Solstice to be built at Wilmington?

Don't have a link yet, but Automotive News will report that GM is considering the Wilmington DE plant to assemble the Solstice.

guionM 07-03-2003 10:12 PM

I'd imagine that means Solstice is in the final steps before being "approved".

Like I once said, it was a matter of "when" it would be approved, not "if".

johnsocal 07-03-2003 11:21 PM

So can we assume that the Solstice will be built on a RWD only chassis that will be about the same size as the current fwd Delta platform. I would also think that since Pontiac is holding off on a Delta-based FWD car and keeping the Sunfire for at least another 5 years (in the US) this would appear like they are holding out for the Solstice to be their affordable $20,000 performance car by the 2007 MY (3 years from now!).

While the Solstice might have a $19,000 base price I would think that a real-word optioned-out Solstice will be closer to $25,000. I would bet that the Solstice coupe will be a 4-seater in order to be what Lutz called the "next-Mustang", but it will be interesting to see if the convertible ends-up being a 4-seater as well.

While Pontiac in Canada will have their own delta-based FWD car called the Pursuit its interesting to note that the entire population of Canada is less then the population of California. For Pontiac to develope and Canada-only car does sound a little odd but it will be interesting to see if the Pursuit will be made available in the US to eventually replace the Sunfire and to be a cheaper alternative to Solstice's $19,000-$20,000 base price.

I still think that the Pontiac Vibe will get axed and will become the basis of a small Saturn SUV/crossover (smaller then the Vue) and a Pursuit/Delta-based sedan and 5-door hatchback will eventually become the low priced entry level cars to replace both the Sunfire and the Vibe for Pontiac.

Here's a real nice large pic of the Solstice Coupe:cool: - http://www.velocityphotos.com//image...ecoupe4904.jpg

gtjeff 07-03-2003 11:32 PM

That Saturn plant is running at about 50% capacity, plenty of room for a few space frame sports cars.:D

HuJass 07-04-2003 07:53 AM

Originally posted by johnsocal

While Pontiac in Canada will have their own delta-based FWD car called the Pursuit its interesting to note that the entire population of Canada is less then the population of California. For Pontiac to develope and Canada-only car does sound a little odd but it will be interesting to see if the Pursuit will be made available in the US to eventually replace the Sunfire and to be a cheaper alternative to Solstice's $19,000-$20,000 base price.

I

Guys,
Have you ever seen how Pontiac gets a version of a Chevy car for Canada. They put a different grille in it. That's it. Oh, and maybe center caps and hubcaps, badges, and air bag module.

I'm sure the Cobalt was designed with a Canadian Pontiac version in mind. So it's costing Pontiac next to nothing to have the Pursuit.

Now back to the Canadian Pontiacs. Let me name a few:

Pontiac Tempest = US Chevy Corsica w/ different grille
Pontiac Acadia = US Chevy Chevette w/different grille (eventually came to the states as the T-1000)
Pontiac Parisienne = US Chevy Caprice w/different grille (eventually came to the states as the Parisienne to fill a gap in Pontiac's line when they discontinued full size RWD Bonneville in 1982)
mid-size Pontiac = US Chevy Malibu w/ different grille (in mid 60s)

That's all the Pursuit is going to be. They've never even done a good job in trying to disguise the fact that it's a Chevy with a different grille.

guionM 07-04-2003 12:09 PM

Originally posted by johnsocal
...While the Solstice might have a $19,000 base price I would think that a real-word optioned-out Solstice will be closer to $25,000. I would bet that the Solstice coupe will be a 4-seater in order to be what Lutz called the "next-Mustang", but it will be interesting to see if the convertible ends-up being a 4-seater as well....
If there is a way to get the supercharged 4 on a base model (say for under $21,000) and came in a coupe, it would be very difficult for me not to buy one of them. :D

poSSum 07-04-2003 12:19 PM

Originally posted by HuJass

mid-size Pontiac = US Chevy Malibu w/ different grille (in mid 60s)

That would have been the Beaumont ... they changed the taillights too :rolleyes:

Minor nitpick ... the Pontiac Chevette was an Acadian. (you missed the "n")

Also, many of our Pontiacs were Chevy powered.

HuJass 07-04-2003 03:16 PM

Originally posted by poSSum
That would have been the Beaumont ... they changed the taillights too :rolleyes:

Minor nitpick ... the Pontiac Chevette was an Acadian. (you missed the "n")

Also, many of our Pontiacs were Chevy powered.

Sorry poSSum,

I knew there would be a guy from Canada to correct me. :D

Evil Turbo SS 07-04-2003 07:13 PM

Is the Solstice going to come in Coupe form? I really dont like convertables. I fell in love with the lines of the orange coupe.

0toinsanein5.4sec 07-05-2003 01:26 AM

Originally posted by guionM
If there is a way to get the supercharged 4 on a base model (say for under $21,000) and came in a coupe, it would be very difficult for me not to buy one of them. :D
W3rd

johnsocal 07-05-2003 03:01 PM

I have always been a big fan of the Lotus Elise and if Pontiac could bring out the Solstice convertible that has similar performance for half the price that would be hard to pass up.

I believe the Elise should finally arrive in the US in 2004/05 with a Toyota engine and sequential tranny from the MR2 Spyder and should sell for around $35,000

Toyota will cease production of the MR2 Spyder in the next 2 years or so to make room for the upcoming next-gen Supra and Supra convertible and a possible convertible version of the Celica replacement (the Celica name my get canned).

While I wont be buying another car until 2008 and Its nice to know there will be some cool cars availble when that time comes.:cool: