Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM Likely to Introduce Pure EVs in China, But Not the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Thumbs down GM Likely to Introduce Pure EVs in China, But Not the U.S.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=20077

[quote]GM hopes to launch small pure-electric vehicles to China sometime in the next few years. (Source: Inhabitat)

GM is convinced that pure electrics are unwanted by U.S. customers, though. (Source: YouTube/GM)\ In the U.S. GM is talking smack about BEVs, but abroad its all flowers and roses

In a company as big as General Motors Company, a certainly level of differences in approach when it comes to different international branches is fairly standard. However, GM's approach to pure electric vehicles (also known as battery electric vehicles -- BEVs) is nothing short of bipolar.

Abroad GM is brimming with enthusiasm for BEVs. In Germany it's testing a fleet of Opel Merivas transformed into electrified BEVs. GM India President and Managing Director, Karl Slym, says that a new BEV -- based on the Chevrolet New Sail -- may be shown off sometime next year. And in Korea GM is showing off an all-electric Chevrolet Cruze test vehicle at the G20 summit.

But perhaps most significantly it's talking about introducing a low cost BEV to the Chinese market, which recently passed the U.S. market in sales for GM. The new EV will be based on the EN-V concept, which enjoyed a strong response at Shanghai Expo.

Meanwhile in the U.S. GM has aired no plans to release a pure electric, and in fact seems to be minimizing their exposure.

Apparently convinced that American consumers don't want pure electrics, it's been airing a commercial not-so-subtly jabbing at BEVs like the Nissan LEAF EV. The new commercial, which promotes the 2011 Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) states:

This isn't a country where plans made at 9 necessarily apply at five. This is America, man. Home of the highway, last-minute detours and spontaneous acts of freedom... So doesn't it just make sense that we build an electric car that goes far... really far.

The message seems clear. Pure electric vehicles are great, especially for the lucrative Chinese market -- just not for the U.S.

Has GM correctly tapped into the public sentiment, or is it missing the pure electrics boat that its domestic rival Ford and international rival Nissan seem happy to jump on? That remains to be seen over the next couple years.

Sigh....
Old 11-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Re: GM Likely to Introduce Pure EVs in China, But Not the U.S.

GM is selling one in India too https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=776771

The car it is based on is too small for the US market. Rumor is we will eventually get an all electric Volt. They are testing that powertrain now in the Cruze in Korea.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:23 PM

I don't see a problem with this. I think the Volt is a much better way to go than an all electric. It would suck to have to have a car for vacations, and a car for daily commute. What would happen if you got called into work and forgot that you didn't get the full charge into your 100 mile pure EV? At least the Volt can still make it home.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:36 PM

A friend of mine was in Scotland on business. They had an off day and were not too far from St. Andrew's. They asked their Scottish co-workers about going to see it. Their response was, "but it 25 MILES! away.", as if it was the other side of the planet. The American viewpoint on driving, and distance compared to the rest of the world is vastly different. Probably the very reason why electric and midget cars don't have the following here.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
A friend of mine was in Scotland on business. They had an off day and were not too far from St. Andrew's. They asked their Scottish co-workers about going to see it. Their response was, "but it 25 MILES! away.", as if it was the other side of the planet. The American viewpoint on driving, and distance compared to the rest of the world is vastly different. Probably the very reason why electric and midget cars don't have the following here.
Well you haven't run into very many people from Williamsburg Va I see
Old 11-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Has anyone actually seen some of the power lines in China? I don't know how they haven't burnt the whole country down yet. Adding more load would be great, maybe it's GM's way of trying to swing power back here.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:24 PM

+1

You can cross the whole country of Slovenia in a couple hours, and my wife hates driving to Venice, even though it's a wonderful little day trip (~3 1/2 hours 1 way). She thinks that needs to be a weekend trip or something.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 AM

I think GM is right on this one. I just don't see how very many Americans will accept a pure electric vehicle given their current milage range. And if they are wrong, it wouldn't be very difficult to adjust the plan and bring pure electric vehicles here sooner.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 AM

I wouldn't want a pure EV unless it would go 150 miles on a charge. If I go to my parents house it is 90 miles round trip, and I would want to make sure I had some extra battery power just in case. The Nissan Leafs range of 47-138 miles just isn't enough.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 PM

I think GM is right. Despite what people are yelling for there won't be a significant amount of people that would buy it. It's all a "someone else will buy it so i can keep driving my SUV" sort of thing here...
Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by msgZ28
+1

You can cross the whole country of Slovenia in a couple hours, and my wife hates driving to Venice, even though it's a wonderful little day trip (~3 1/2 hours 1 way). She thinks that needs to be a weekend trip or something.
I assume you are no loonger in Texas?

Are the people of Willimasburg that big of homebodies?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:01 PM

I assume you are no loonger in Texas?
We're back in Texas, but we fly over to visit her family fairly often.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 AM

They are speaking from experience. People screamed and latter signed up for the EV1, only to balk when the lease agreement was on the table