Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Small Pickups we can't get now Head 2 Head

Old 08-30-2012, 03:17 PM

Small Pickups we can't get now Head 2 Head

"Global Pickup Shootout" from pickuptrucks.com. Tested in Australia. The contenders were the Toyota Hillux, Holden Colorado, Ford Ranger, and VW Amarok. Colorado lost to Ranger by 1pt apparently.

From the results

Second Place: Colorado
If you’re expecting a ute that handles more like a car, then it’s going to disappoint. Sure, it feels more traditionally trucklike compared with the Ranger and Amarok when it comes to cornering and is far more cumbersome in general driving, but it is a pickup, after all.

Some liked the no-nonsense interior, but we thought it was a little ordinary for an all-new truck, and it did look like a lower trim level. The engine is the loudest at idle, but the sound is not irritating and smoothens out as the truck gains speed.

Despite all that, it didn’t take us long to warm up to the Colorado. Its softer suspension means it floats a little more than the others, but it is also very comfortable in most conditions. The engine has plenty of torque to get around without much fuss, and the cabin feels spacious.

The Colorado’s 7,500-pound-plus tow rating is handy, and there is nothing missing from the list of standard equipment. If you don’t mind driving a pickup that feels like a pickup, the Colorado (the least expensive of our group) makes for a good value proposition.
First place: Ranger
It’s the most expensive ute here, but the Ranger is the best of the bunch. The Colorado and Amarok are both impressive, but the Ranger sets the new standard.

It isn’t perfect, though. The engine has some inconsistent injection noise, the manual gearbox is not extraordinary, the cargo bed is narrower than the Amarok’s, and the ride can be a little firm at lower speeds. But the Ranger is a clear winner in almost every other respect.

The engine has plenty of torque and never seems to be working too hard. The six-speed automatic is a good option, especially for stop-start city driving or remote and rugged off-road action.

Serene is the best way to describe the cabin. It is quiet and also rather well-isolated from all the bumps and ruts on the roads.

We understand that design is quite subjective, but we thought the Ranger was an attractive machine. It doesn’t have the hard-edged ruggedness of the F-Series pickups, but it still looks tough, especially when it’s next to its competitors.

Then there is the interior. Some of the buttons confused us, but the layout, design and quality of materials are far superior to the others. Also, the high-ish payload and tow ratings make the Ranger a practical machine.

What did we like most about the Ranger? One thing that stands out is how it handles flowing country roads: It stays surefooted, sits flat and responds quickly to inputs. To put it simply, it was fun to drive.

While U.S. customers should no doubt be pleased that GM has committed to sell the Colorado there, it’s a shame there aren’t similar plans for the Ranger to come over as well.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:06 PM

Re: Small Pickups we can't get now Head 2 Head

Dang... the VW is the best looking of the bunch.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:42 PM

Man, they all look so much alike.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 PM

You can tell they didn't spare any designers to make those trucks. Talk about butt ugly. Rangers and S10's used to be very good looking trucks, even the canyon was a nice looking truck.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
You can tell they didn't spare any designers to make those trucks. Talk about butt ugly. Rangers and S10's used to be very good looking trucks, even the canyon was a nice looking truck.
You hit the nail on the head!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Boy, you got that right.
I hope the renderings of the blue Canyon I posted a few weeks ago are close to what GM has planned for the States. Otherwise, the truck will probably fail miserably

GM,
If you're reading, the U.S. versions of the Colorado and Canyon have to look tougher, more unique, and they have to look American. If they don't, they will fail.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:26 AM

The Ford Ranger is the most expensive ute here at $53,990.

53990 Australian dollars = 55733.8770 US dollars
Old 09-02-2012, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by lymelizzard

Holy crap

You can get a loaded full-size here for less.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:19 AM

We also WILL NOT be getting this (which I'm glad we're not.) I do wish (cough GM cough) would run with the idea though...

The Saga Ends: Mahindra Compact Diesel Pickup Canceled for U.S. Market - WOT on Motor Trend
Old 09-02-2012, 01:49 PM

I like those trucks, I like the idea of Diesels but....Whats the point. They are about the same size as a full size, the price will be be expensive. Why buy midsize when for about the same scratch you can buy a full size?

Lastly I like the size of regular cab s-10 or s-10's for that matter. Just wish the car companies would market/develop/sell a nice small truck with good mpg. Think s-10 size v6 or I4, 40 mpg on the hwy and ability to haul some stuff from lowes.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:37 PM

I like those trucks, I like the idea of Diesels but....Whats the point. They are about the same size as a full size, the price will be be expensive. Why buy midsize when for about the same scratch you can buy a full size?

Lastly I like the size of regular cab s-10 or s-10's for that matter. Just wish the car companies would market/develop/sell a nice small truck with good mpg. Think s-10 size v6 or I4, 40 mpg on the hwy and ability to haul some stuff from lowes.
Midsize trucks are still much smaller than fullsizes. About 4-5" less in width. That's the difference in width between a Sonic and Impala. There is a small truck on the market - the Colorado. Its about 10" narrower than a fullsize and very close to the size of the S10, but the mpg isn't great. For some reason they just look that much larger.

The new Colorado is definitely a midsize and is about mid-way between the width of the current Colorado and the average fullsize. Think current Tacoma and Dakota.

You're not going to get a 40mpg truck anytime soon if it is built to tow or haul any kind of load. Manufacturers are barely there with economy cars.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 PM

Yeah you can't just do a AU$ to US$ conversion. The V8 Commodore was near $100k AU but the Pontiac G8 started in the low $30k.

MANY more factors are in play than just simple currency conversions.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM

You could say the same thing about sedans and SUVs, yet Ford sells 4 sizes of each. Surely there is room for 2 sizes of truck.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Yeah you can't just do a AU$ to US$ conversion. The V8 Commodore was near $100k AU but the Pontiac G8 started in the low $30k.

MANY more factors are in play than just simple currency conversions.
Which one?

You're comparing probably the top line HSV GTS with a base model G8?

Top range Commodore SS can be bought for under 50K

Last edited by AnthonyHSV; 09-18-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by AnthonyHSV
Which one?

You're comparing probably the top line HSV GTS with a base model G8?

Top range Commodore SS can be bought for under 50K
I think the comparison was an HSV vs the G8 GXP. Either way you can't just do currency conversions when deciding what something could be priced for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Small Pickups we can't get now Head 2 Head