Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Should Chevy sell the Volt with different battery sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Re: Should Chevy sell the Volt with different battery sizes?

A diesel "range extending" engine would be a lot noisier than the gas one. Not that I'd care, but maybe some would.

I had the opportunity to ride in a Volt and I was actually quite surprised how quiet it was even when the gas engine was running.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 AM

Re: Should Chevy sell the Volt with different battery sizes?

Originally Posted by colin911
A diesel "range extending" engine would be a lot noisier than the gas one. Not that I'd care, but maybe some would.

I had the opportunity to ride in a Volt and I was actually quite surprised how quiet it was even when the gas engine was running.
Which brings up two points.

First, the popular myth that diesels are noisy and dump smoke in the air has for the most part been dispelled by the new clean-diesels that are popular throughout Europe.

Second, as EVs and HEVs are becoming more popular, they are becoming a huge concern for the disabled community, especially for the blind and visually impaired. The largest interface between vehicles and people are in the cities where HEVs are typically in "electric" mode. There is talk in the industry that the government may step in and require manufacturers to add "noise" to EVs so that blind and visually impaired pedestrians can hear them coming. Its not a matter of "if" but "when" this is likely to occur.

So some additional noise, as little as it may be, will someday be required for all vehicles while they are moving.