CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   right on the AOL welcome page "GM MASSIVE RECALL" (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/right-aol-welcome-page-gm-massive-recall-361919/)

Caps94ZODG 04-26-2005 09:14 AM

right on the AOL welcome page "GM MASSIVE RECALL"

knew it was going to be front page news...WTF...yup the press has got it out for american brands..

what recently for imports was a major recall??? cus I know it was on here but didnt hear a peep about it in the news...

Last of a Breed 04-26-2005 09:20 AM

Re: right on the AOL welcome page "GM MASSIVE RECALL"

What, you don't know by now? American cars are junk, and will always be. Nothing compares to an import. Toyota, Honda, BMW et al, are all perfect cars. No one can take that away from them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

Yeah it does get a bit ridiculous how the media reports its news. Hopefully GM, Ford and Chrylser can keep it going and improve upon ots products to maybe someday get rid of this perception.

Caps94ZODG 04-26-2005 09:35 AM

well its not just that its the fact that when toyota or honda has a major recall it gets a side not or little mention...yet GM gets front headline

Last of a Breed 04-26-2005 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
well its not just that its the fact that when toyota or honda has a major recall it gets a side not or little mention...yet GM gets front headline

Oh trust me, I know that. And it pisses the hell out of me. Maybe GM, Ford and Chrysler have some of the blame for putting out average at best cars during the 80's and early 90's and are fighting an uphill battle. But what gets me is it seems (well with Mercedes and BWM for the most part, maybe due to more elctrical gizmos) that the imports haven't been as well built as before yet they get a pass. Just doesn't make sense.

anasazi 04-26-2005 11:45 AM

:rolleyes:

when was the last time honda or toyota recalled over 2 million vehicles in the united states?

Z28Wilson 04-26-2005 11:51 AM

We all know the off-shore automakers rarely, if ever, get publicity for recalls but this is 2 million vehicles for GM...it's a big story and it will be played out as such. Gotta just suck it up and move on...

Gold_Rush 04-26-2005 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
We all know the off-shore automakers rarely, if ever, get publicity for recalls but this is 2 million vehicles for GM...it's a big story and it will be played out as such. Gotta just suck it up and move on...

Yeah. 2mill is a lot, and front-page worthy. And GM has been on the front-page a lot this year, and so they're being scrutinzed. Just gotta suck it up, and make sure you don't crush anymore eggshells. Just how sensative things are at the moment.

This is just an ugly ugly fugly year for GM.

anasazi 04-26-2005 12:14 PM

gotta love this forum

if GM made a car named "the inferno" that was designed to explode on impact, and was advertised as such, you'd get people saying "media bias" and the same crap you see above whenever some review came out that said it was a dangerous car ... :rolleyes:

Z28Wilson 04-26-2005 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by anasazi
gotta love this forum

Yup, that's why you come here so much, right?

CLEAN 04-26-2005 12:39 PM

Who hoo! This will put GM that much closer to my BUY price!

anasazi 04-26-2005 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Yup, that's why you come here so much, right?

yep, its friggin hilarious :)

Yossarian14 04-26-2005 02:37 PM

I think your all crackheads...honestly. If imports are sooo much better than domestics you got to wonder what causing the quality to be soooo much better. Hell for my first car I'm driving a 97 Land Rover Disc and the only reason its so cheap was because the previous owner couldn't drive 10 miles without something breaking. The previous owner before him payed to have the entire engine redone and its still crapping out. My friends Toyota Camry is the same way, exactly.

Now on the other hand we have a Ford Excursion (1998), Ford Explorer (01), Ford Expedition (98), GMC Suburban (94?) and the only thing we have had real problems on was the Expedition and that was with the air-ride suspension, Im not really suprised. Honestly I cant point out 1 reason to be biased either way. If I was in the market for a economy car, it would be a Honda or Toyota probably, Performance would be a Chevy, Truck would be a Ford, Luxury would be a BMW or I kinda like those Chryslers.

morb|d 04-26-2005 08:13 PM

you know, even though it bugs me that the domestic automakers get more negative press, the whining about it here is beginning to sounds like that Kris Rock comedy bit. IT'S THE MEDIA.

it's not just "the media." the newsflash on all this is that a recall is newsworthy material and "the media" is just doing it's job by reporting it. the fact that they tend to sometimes under-report foreign makers' recalls is a symptom of America today. we are more critical of ourselves than anyone else. and frankly the fact that Ford and GM still tend to sell more cars here than any other automaker means that overall their recalls would tend to effect more people therefore, they deserve more media scrutiny. When Toyota passes Ford and GM as having the most market share in NA, don't think for a second "the media" won't shift their eye more toward Toyota.

anasazi 04-26-2005 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by morb|d
you know, even though it bugs me that the domestic automakers get more negative press, the whining about it here is beginning to sounds like that Kris Rock comedy bit. IT'S THE MEDIA.

it's not just "the media." the newsflash on all this is that a recall is newsworthy material and "the media" is just doing it's job by reporting it. the fact that they tend to sometimes under-report foreign makers' recalls is a symptom of America today. we are more critical of ourselves than anyone else. and frankly the fact that Ford and GM still tend to sell more cars here than any other automaker means that overall their recalls would tend to effect more people therefore, they deserve more media scrutiny. When Toyota passes Ford and GM as having the most market share in NA, don't think for a second "the media" won't shift their eye more toward Toyota.

you speak of reason, you obviously don't belong in this forum! :D

standard operating procedure for the 5th gen forum is any slightly bad news reported about GM or ford is automatically "media bias". its an unwritten rule that most people here blindly abide by.

its actually one of the main reasons why this forum is so entertaining. :)

Fbodfather 04-26-2005 10:31 PM

By the way....did anyone happen to notice that this was a voluntary recall when GM discovered there was a problem? The NHTSA was not involved..no deaths, no injuries that we know of...........but it was done because it was the right thing to do?