Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

OK, OK. Non cryptic answers to your RWD fears. (non-believers, get in here!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 07:09 PM

Wink OK, OK. Non cryptic answers to your RWD fears. (non-believers, get in here!)

"We did not cancel the Zeta plans to save money, or to divert funds elsewhere that would've been used for product development."

"Rest assured, we remain committed to developing RWD, premium, high-performance, affordable vehicles, perhaps even a few with a trace of nostalgia baked in."
Bob Lutz, Product Chairman, General Motors
"While work on particular North American applications of our premium rear-wheel drive midsize vehicle architecture have indeed been stopped, we have begun to study new approaches to efficiently capitalize on future opportunities we see for future midsize rear-wheel drive applications." Marc Beckers, spokesman for General Motors
"(The Zeta architecture) will continue to be the basis for products sold in regions outside North America."

(product Chairman Bob Lutz) pulled the plug on the North America models after determining the vehicles could not be engineered and assembled to sell at prices competitive with the popular Chrysler 300C, Ford Mustang and other models, without sacrificing quality and content.

GM Chairman Rick Wagoner last week said there would be no reduction in capital spending in light of the abrupt profit warning and signaled new product programs would be safe from the budget ax.
The Detroit News
"We have other RWD platforms and are looking at our options, which include developing more vehicles off a Cadillac platform that can provide rear-wheel- and all-wheel-drive." GM Spokesman Pat Morrissey
"Some observers suggest GM scrapped what was to be a low-volume Zeta lineup to turn to a platform that could accommodate higher-volume cars, crossovers and SUVs in rear- and all-wheel-drive." Chicago Tribune
"but if you look at the European potential, the Asian potential, Holden and the United States and it could be 400,000. Bob Lutz, February 2004 (indicating only 200,000 maximum for a North American produced Zeta..with a portion to be made as Opels. Australia would produce about 150-190,000 & the remainder made in China)
"GM Canada also announced that it would proceed with major new investments in flexible manufacturing processes and technologies at its number two Oshawa Car Assembly Plant. These investments will enable the plant to adapt quickly to customer and vehicle market changes and to produce a multitude of vehicle models and platforms on the same assembly line Press release- GM, Canada.

1. Zeta will be made in Australia by Holden. Other GM divisions due to get Zeta will likely have it manufactured by Holden & it will be exported. Yes, that includes us here in North America. No, it probally doesn't include the GTO.

2. There's likely NOT going to be a just 1 RWD chassis, but at least 2 chassis here in North America that will fill in for what was planned for the Zeta.

3. Zeta was cancelled for much the same reasons the Sigma-Camaro didn't happen, but GM is is a far better position (and mindset) to subsitute with a more cost efficient chassis... or a couple of them.

I could go into more details about what's come my way about all this, but I'd have to kill you.

Feel better.

BTW: I left a cryptic a couple of weeks ago about which plant GM was investing money in that would assemble the "Zeta" cars. Now that it's in print, I'll post it:

"GM's Oshawa car plant No. 2 was scheduled to begin assembling two rear-wheel-drive Zeta sedans in 2007. Those cars were the Pontiac G8 and the next generation of the Buick LaCrosse. The Globe & Mail
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/Business
*DISCLAIMER: I've taken great care NOT to spill anything I was told, and not to be "cryptic". Instead, I relied on the same method I used on last year's Camaro story, using press and GM's own words. However, it does accurately tell the story.

Last edited by guionM; 03-22-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:17 PM

Re: OK, OK. Non cryptic answers to your RWD fears. (non-believers, get in here!)

Yup, puts it all in perspective now doesn't it.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:19 PM

Re: OK, OK. Non cryptic answers to your RWD fears. (non-believers, get in here!)

Thanks for that.

I feel like it's 2 month's ago all over again. The good and the bad.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:24 PM

Won't believe anything until I see it.

BTW guionM I would only assume since you own a few SC's you visit the SC boards? Have you done anything to them? Do you by chance know XR7Dave?
Old 03-22-2005, 07:29 PM

Good work Guy.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Won't believe anything until I see it.

BTW guionM I would only assume since you own a few SC's you visit the SC boards? Have you done anything to them? Do you by chance know XR7Dave?
SCCOA.

My 1st '89 5 speed had a smaller pulley, headers, chip, & a supercharger spacer.

Current '89 I fully restored, and gave it the questionable 18" rims that I inherited off my latest SC when I bought it.

The '93 (the only automatic SC I've had) I replaced the "bling-bling" rims with stock wheels, and my mom's using it in Arizona.

Don't know anyone off the sites.

Better to e-mail me before we accidently hijack this thread.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:11 PM

Thanks much for the info Guy. It has the ring of truth, although I'm still at a loss to comprehend how it makes sense to design/qualify/produce Zeta in Australia, for the rest of the world, but not here (or only here in an imported, reduced capacity).

I really grieve for GM. They are lost. People forget that the truck/SUV market is overwhelmingly made up of the former RWD sedan market (those that didn't migrate to German RWD sedans), and I don't think GM is going to have anything to offer this group. As gas prices rise (maybe even if they don't) I think this group will migrate back; they only adopted the trucks because the RWD car had essentially vanished! From your explanation, there really seems no push to create a portfolio of RWD cars/crossovers for these people. The Beta, or whatever it's name is these days, Camaro chassis, if that is the plan, will probably be too small for mainstream passenger vehicles, and the Sigma is peculiar looking with its high cowl, on anything smaller than the STS. So, if there is yet another platform, someone speak up. I don't see how there really can be though, it would duplicate the Holden Zeta, which doesn't make any sense.

I had held out hope that GM had finally seen the light and would actually market an American RWD vehicle family. I guess that was too much to hope for. But the FWD nightmare continues!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
1. Zeta will be made in Australia by Holden. Other GM divisions due to get Zeta will likely have it manufactured by Holden & it will be exported. Yes, that includes us here in North America. No, it probally doesn't include the GTO.

2. There's likely NOT going to be a just 1 RWD chassis, but at least 2 chassis here in North America that will fill in for what was planned for the Zeta.

3. Zeta was cancelled for much the same reasons the Sigma-Camaro didn't happen, but GM is is a far better position (and mindset) to subsitute with a more cost efficient chassis... or a couple of them.

I could go into more details about what's come my way about all this, but I'd have to kill you.

Feel better.

I don't see why anyone should feel better.

I don't see anything resembling a Camaro or whatever coming out of that MESS before 2010.

Affordable V8 RWD performance from GM? Get yer GTO by end of '06 cuz that's it for a LONG WHILE.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:35 PM

Thanks guionM, This kinda confirms my own speculation on what will happen and your cryptic answers have led me to believe this...............

It cost GM too much money too much trouble to make Zeta competitive and be broad enough to accomidate many RWD vehicles in the North American Continent.

So now I'm thinking Kappa, Sigma, and a mystery platform either developed from Kappa and Zeta or something totally different will be used for GM's RWD applications in North America which from looking at it it's for the better...............
Old 03-22-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlueCruiser

I don't see anything resembling a Camaro or whatever coming out of that MESS before 2010.
I agree.

But even if Zeta were still viable for NA, I don't believe that we would have seen one much sooner than that anyway.

The difference is....now we have a chance for a better Camaro.

In the end...the "cheaper" Zeta...would have ended up costing as much, or more, than the better performing Sigma.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:21 PM

I think that GM will have at least one RWD vehicle out by 08, before anyone says its impossible..............The new RWD platforms I have always thought to have been very flexable and could be modified easily for different applications.

I still have "faith" and I believe that when the new GM regime comes in and more things start to come out I say that things will either progress quicker or have been set to get set in very quickly.

Also I don't think GM will let the Large RWD sedan and Preformance coupe market have fun with Ford and DCX for 5 more years when they have 2 platforms for a basis done already if Kappa and Sigma are 2 of them.....also if Kappa and Sigma are as flexable as they say It probally wouldn't take 4 years to put a hybrid platform together for a Camaro type car........But this is just my $.02
Old 03-22-2005, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
SCCOA.

My 1st '89 5 speed had a smaller pulley, headers, chip, & a supercharger spacer.

Current '89 I fully restored, and gave it the questionable 18" rims that I inherited off my latest SC when I bought it.

The '93 (the only automatic SC I've had) I replaced the "bling-bling" rims with stock wheels, and my mom's using it in Arizona.

Don't know anyone off the sites.

Better to e-mail me before we accidently hijack this thread.
He's on that site. I tried to PM you but your box was full.... I'll e-mail you when I get a chance.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
In the end...the "cheaper" Zeta...would have ended up costing as much, or more, than the better performing Sigma.
That's interesting. I wonder if GM did their own math or used Holden's financial papers to determine the cost of the Zeta program before they realised that Sigma is the better alternative.

Why do we Aussies always get (comparitively) less technology on our vehicles compared to our American and Japanese friends?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
That's interesting. I wonder if GM did their own math or used Holden's financial papers to determine the cost of the Zeta program before they realised that Sigma is the better alternative.
The trigger hasn't been pulled on Sigma yet....primarily, IMO, for political reasons.

But we do have quotes like this:

"We have other RWD platforms and are looking at our options, which include developing more vehicles off a Cadillac platform that can provide rear-wheel- and all-wheel-drive." GM Spokesman Pat Morrissey
Old 03-23-2005, 01:58 AM

It won't be Sigma. No way. No how.

Quick Reply: OK, OK. Non cryptic answers to your RWD fears. (non-believers, get in here!)