Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New Mustang site is up

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by WERM
...and answers the question of "it's retro, what will they do next?" that people were asking in 2005.

I'm still not a huge fan of the new style, but I think this one is okay. It's not a step backwards.

I was one of those who SCREAMED that question, and I think this does answer the question.

And the answer is that it looks like it's been cut up with a hacksaw and put back together with what was left...
Old 11-18-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by cjmatt
ehhhh, theyre both good for about a 13-flat at best with manuals.
They didn't make Hertz Shelbys in manuals.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
I gotta agree on that. I've spent a good deal of time in my moms LS2 GTO and a Hertz Shelby, and the GTO would have destroyed the Shelby had the 2 lined up next to each other, even w/ the Shelby's gears.
Ford's automatics are notorious for being slower than manuals in Mustangs. GM's automatics in many instances can be quicker than manuals in the same model (Hertz Shelbys were all automatics and I'm guessing your "moms" GTO is automatic as well).

Manual to manual, though, a Shelby GT Mustang is about on par with a GTO to 60, and much less than a half second behind in the quarter. Mustang has the better shifter, so it could very well be a driver's race.

Once you get past the quarter, GTO WILL walk away from the Mustang GT or anything with the Shelby name on it that doesn't have a snake on it's fenders & grille.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by cjmatt
ehhhh, theyre both good for about a 13-flat at best with manuals.
Originally Posted by guionM
Ford's automatics are notorious for being slower than manuals in Mustangs. GM's automatics in many instances can be quicker than manuals in the same model (Hertz Shelbys were all automatics and I'm guessing your "moms" GTO is automatic as well).
Exactly. Auto to auto it goes solidly to the GTO, manuals are closer I'm sure. And it really is "moms". She doesn't have it anymore, but it was an '06, that dark red color they had just that one year w/ the A4. Pretty color, but she ended up retired out in the country and needed an SUV. I would have bought it from her if it was an M6.

Last edited by CLEAN; 11-18-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CLEAN
They didn't make Hertz Shelbys in manuals.
True, but the Shelby GT is the same thing (except it's available for retail sale instead of for rent), and they made that with a manual.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 PM

So the comparisons in the magazines will line up like this:

Loaded 2010 Mustang GT manual versus loaded 2010 Camaro SS manual. Around $32K MSRPs.

I predict curb weights of 3610 and 3940 pounds (as tested models). They will complain about the weight of the Camaro and about the live axle in the Mustang. The Camaro will out-accelerate the Mustang, and EPA mileage will be a tie, due to the 6 speed and skip-shift in the Camaro.

The Camaro will win by a nose.

If the Challenger R/T is added to the comparo, it will weigh 4100 pounds, and will be last in acceleration, but it will do well in fuel economy due to the VVT on the new engine. It'll be in last place.

If you switch to autos from manuals, then the Mustang will do relatively worse, but I don't think we'll see tests of autos, even though the autos outsell the manuals (IIRC).
Old 11-18-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
I really hate to say this, but at the risk of needing a flame suit, I like the design of the new Mustang's interior, and IMO the Camaro's interior design is no contest to it.
I wouldn't go that far. I have been, and still am, critical of the Camaro interior, but to me, it looks like Ford did a good design of dressing up parts bin pieces. The panel over the HVAC and radio specifically, and to a lesser extent the, what I'm assuming is still aluminum, plate in the dash.

The Camaro, to me, looks more custom, more one off. A custom job in questionable taste, but custom nonetheless, and I think I prefer the latter.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
True, but the Shelby GT is the same thing (except it's available for retail sale instead of for rent), and they made that with a manual.
Of course, but I specifically quoted a HERTZ Shelby vs a GTO. All Hertz's were autos, as was the GTO I compared it to. GTO is noticably quicker, that's all I'm saying, nothing more. The quote I commented on said that the LS2 GTO should be faster than the current GT, not the shelby. I added that the Shelby (by definition an A5, 3.73s, exhaust, tune, and CAI), couldn't hang w/ the Goat. Now a M5 Shelby GT, maybe, but that's a different argument altogether.

Last edited by CLEAN; 11-18-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

Looks like it's constantly frowning.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 PM

Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 PM

It looks sad, like it's about to cry or something.

The front bumper juts out quite a bit. Kind of distracting.

The taillights look funny.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:42 PM

Ford's made a good transition IMO, with the new Mustang. It looks fresh, leaner and more aerodynamic, which will enhance appeal with MPG-conscious buyers, especially women. Interior amenities, like the ambient lighting, same thing. It's also a step upscale, such as with the nav in dash. It's going to be a worthy competitor for the Camaro.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by teal98

Loaded 2010 Mustang GT manual versus loaded 2010 Camaro SS manual. Around $32K MSRPs.

I predict curb weights of 3610 and 3940 pounds (as tested models). They will complain about the weight of the Camaro and about the live axle in the Mustang. The Camaro will out-accelerate the Mustang, and EPA mileage will be a tie, due to the 6 speed and skip-shift in the Camaro.

If the Challenger R/T is added to the comparo, it will weigh 4100 pounds, and will be last in acceleration, but it will do well in fuel economy due to the VVT on the new engine. It'll be in last place.

If you switch to autos from manuals, then the Mustang will do relatively worse, but I don't think we'll see tests of autos, even though the autos outsell the manuals (IIRC).
Sounds about right to me.

I think they'll complain about the Camaro's weight as a number and say you can feel some of its "heft," but add that it really hides its weight well (a feat GM also has pulled off, apparently, with the CTS-V) when it comes to handling (and braking).

The Challenger won't even be in the ballpark in terms of handling. A look at the most recent "Lightning Lap" shows that the 260 hp Cobalt SS turbo handed an SRT8 Challenger its hindquarters around the track. But the Challenger will trump them all when it comes to interior (and trunk?) space.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 AM

cool pics. I think I actually prefer the look of the V6 bumper over the GT
Old 11-19-2008, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by teal98

And then in 2011, all will get there asses handed to them by a stang that comes in lighter and more powerful, I cant wait, especially because nobody will know the difference from the outside of what youve got under the hood. I can go around just telling everyone its a 2010

Quick Reply: New Mustang site is up