Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New GM 3.6l V6 TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM

New GM 3.6l V6 TT

Cadillac Twin-Turbo Debuts in All-New 2014 CTS Sedan

I think it's time we made a separate thread for this because this engine is very peculiar. We all knew a boosted engine was coming. I don't think many of us were expecting this high of an output from it.

The reason I bring this up is because of the specs (HP and Torque and probably MPG). They are all very close to the new LT1 engine... So the question now is why did GM choose to develop this engine? (which probably cost big $) Are they planning on spreading this engine, with different variants, across all Brands? I mean we can almost assume the ATS-V, CTS, XTS, Alpha Camaro, & Alpha Buick will get some derivative of this engine, but what about the trucks, crossovers, and SUV's?

This new engine leaves a lot more questions than anticipated.

Last edited by King Moose SS; 03-20-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM

Re: New GM 3.6l V6 TT

Well Its starting off in the Cadillac, I think a large portion of needing this engine is customer perception. How many times have you heard GM ragged on for liking push rod motors so much? (even though we know that there are a ton of advantages to keep them around)

This engine makes for a great mid-range and perceived high tech engine for the new CTS while still leaving room for a boosted Gen V motor for the V.

This twin turbo 3.6, possibly with a little more output, could very well be an ATS-V engine. This would help set it a part from the CTS-V, especially considering the whole package will probably be lighter than the CTS-V.

If the ATS-V and CTS-V had the same engine and output the CTS would look like a slug in comparison.

I really wouldn't mind seeing this engine in a half ton pickup down the road as well, just to compete with the EcoBoost. But I somehow doubt that because of the new 4.3. But you sure cant deny the fact that ford's ecoboost has exceeded even fords expectations as far as sales go.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM

I have a feeling the final HP and Tq figures of the LT1 will rise from the 450/450.

Thus the TT V6 isn't as close to the LT1 as it may seem now.

As has earlier stated the engine was developed for Caddy and helping the ATS and CTS better compete against M-B, BMW, Audi and Lexus. Which it does.

I think the broader picture for this engine is the further evolution of the 4 and 6 cylinder engines across the line and the moving away from the V8 for all but the most premium and highest performance applications.

As it stands now this TT V6 could replace the LS3 in power and fuel economy.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by 8cylinders>4
I really wouldn't mind seeing this engine in a half ton pickup down the road as well, just to compete with the EcoBoost. But I somehow doubt that because of the new 4.3. But you sure cant deny the fact that ford's ecoboost has exceeded even fords expectations as far as sales go.
One of the first things I thought of was "Ecoboost F150 competitor". I mean, you'd have to be blind to not see the success Ford has had with that 150 variant. But at the same time, there's been a lot of talk about the Ecoboost not reaching its claimed economy numbers. So, does GM follow Ford down that path, win quite a few customers but then encounter similar complaints? Or will this new N/A 4.3 deliver similar performance and economy? It's going to be interesting.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM

Very impressive numbers. This is a good engine for Caddy.

I also expect some version of this to go into the Acadia and Enclave. Even though the F-150 has a turbo V6, I'm not sure that the Silverado needs it. I have a feeling the new 5.3L will have better fuel economy numbers than Ford's Ecoboost V6.

I'm thinking the final numbers on the LT1 will be closer to 470HP which is where the 6.4L SRT-8 cars are. This will open up a gap for the TT 3.6L in the next Camaro.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Very impressive numbers. This is a good engine for Caddy.

I also expect some version of this to go into the Acadia and Enclave. Even though the F-150 has a turbo V6, I'm not sure that the Silverado needs it. I have a feeling the new 5.3L will have better fuel economy numbers than Ford's Ecoboost V6.

I'm thinking the final numbers on the LT1 will be closer to 470HP which is where the 6.4L SRT-8 cars are. This will open up a gap for the TT 3.6L in the next Camaro.
That will make for a fun Camaro. I was also, thinking that the next Gen SS would be fun with the TTV6.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by 8cylinders>4
Well Its starting off in the Cadillac, I think a large portion of needing this engine is customer perception.
Agreed, put direct injection, variable valve timing and turbocharged in the same sentence and people start having techgasms
Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder what the world would think if the starting 6th gen lineup was this:

Base model:
3.6L NA DI V6, 325hp. Same motor as today, minor tweak for +2hp. Optional dual-mode exhaust adds an extra 5hp. 3500 lbs, $23k.

SS: LT1 V8, 475hp. (They keep saying "at least 450." For ZR1, they said "at least 600" and hit 638; for ZL1 they said "at least 550" and hit 580.) Dual-mode exhaust optional, adds 10hp. 3650 lbs. Premium fuel recommended, $30k.

GT: 440hp V6 twin turbo (I added 20hp to the CTS engine's rating because the Camaro's exhaust will flow better than the Cadillac version; reference the 24hp difference in the LSA in CTS-V vs. in ZL1). Dual-mode exhaust optional, adds 10hp. Matches the SS's fuel economy on the highway, beats it by 2mpg in the city. More low-end torque means it matches the SS's 0-60, but starts to fall behind as speeds increase (before the tuners get to it, of course). 3600 lbs. Premium fuel required, $35k.

Z28: SS powertrain with standard dual mode exhaust, so 485hp. 1LE suspension with the latest generation of MagneRide. Performance Traction Management, seats with more lateral support. Possibly introduced a year later. Use of CF and fiberglass brings weight down to 3550. $45k.

ZL1: Z28 + forced induction, 620+ horsepower. Introduced 1-2 years later. 3750lbs. $55k.

V6 gets a six-speed manual and six-speed automatic, same as today. V8 cars get the seven-speed manual or the eight-speed automatic. All auto cars will have paddle shifters with <250ms response times.

What do you guys think? I went back and forth on what to call the turbo model. I thought about TT (which made me think of Audi), but I really think the turbo car would be well-marketed as a more touring-oriented model, hence the Grand Touring moniker. I could see GS (Gran Sport) since Corvette used that recently, but to me that name belongs to Buick. I also considered RS, but I think I like GT better. Plus, it'll give the Mustang crowd something to be upset about.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 PM

JakeRobb, I like the idea... but didn't Ford try that with the SVO Mustang. As I remember the SVO had poor sales at all due to the GT (and the LX V8) being cheaper.

GM better have some tricks up it's sleeve with the TT V6 when they place it in the Camaro... if it makes it's way to the Camaro. (For all we know it could be like the 80's. The Turbo 6 only goes to Buick... except for that one Firebird. )
Old 03-26-2013, 09:41 AM

I think turning the RS into the Turbo model would fit but I think it would need to be priced less the the more powerful V8 SS otherwise most everyone would opt for the SS instead.