CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   More Silverado SS Pics (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/more-silverado-ss-pics-7197/)

formula79 06-28-2002 07:36 AM

More Silverado SS Pics

Chevy Posted alot more SS pics on thier media site today. I have them here!

------------------
Branden-Founder www.GMInsidenews.com
The #1 GM News Site on the Net!
1995 Firebird A4
White with red leather
1979 Firebird Formula SOLD!!! 8/2001
Visit my homepage!

ced8 06-28-2002 07:44 AM

Thanks for the pics... it looks like a STOCK silverado. I know I am very very disappointed. We all found out it was a sticker queen, and even at that GM couldn't deliver.. i don't know.. to me the Hralye Dav. edition LOOKS sexy.. the shape of the F-150 is the same, but it is styled with class this truck doesn't seem to look any different from the regular trucks.. anyone else feel that way

Chris 96 WS6 06-28-2002 11:08 AM

I have been reluctant to rip GM over this SS due to only putting the 6L vortec in it. I thought it would be a good looking truck with competent HP, even if it wasn't in the same league as the Lightning.

BOY WAS I WRONG. How little can a car company spend on a new model? I think we are seeing the answer. New grille, new wheels, and an exhaust tip. That engine is already available in other models of the same chassis, so there's no real money spent there either. Stock ride height, it looks like a JOKE and will be received in the performance world as such.

I was disappointed by the Anniversary Fbods for lack of originality and investment, but understood it because the Fbody budget was tight enough on the last year of a car's production, ever. But then we get the 50th anniv. Corvette which consists of embroidered headrests, Z06 calipers from the parts bin, and a decal package.

Now the Silverado SS. COME ON GM, we're dying here. Show us something for once...

Brand loyalty is a PITA sometimes http://web.camaross.com/bb/rolleyes.gif

------------------
Owner, Nashville Speed & Performance

1996 Trans Am WS6

Sixer-Bird 06-28-2002 12:11 PM

The overall truck doesn't look bad, but it looks to be sitting up way to high. I would have thought they'd have lowered that thing atleast an inch.

I bet the AWD makes this a good stop light-to stop light performer.

If only it had a tweaked 8.1L http://web.camaross.com/bb/frown.gif

------------------
-Joshua
1997 Bright Red T/A WS6 M6
I was thinking dagger. -Steve Nash

Chris 96 WS6 06-28-2002 12:19 PM

If only...they had put some EFFORT into it. Its almost 100% off the shelf parts, meaning they spent as little money as possible. They knew they had to respond to the Lightning and Dodge's new offering, but they did it in a half-hearted manner.

I would have expected more out of anything debuting under Lutz's watch.

Jason96T/A 06-28-2002 12:54 PM

Um... and what's up with that single exhaust?!?

SNEAKY NEIL 06-28-2002 03:41 PM

So how is the SS any different than the lightning as far as looks. It has ricer tail-lights, different bumper, and some tiny ground effects? How is that any more than what the SS Silverado is? By the way, I love it.

kizz 06-28-2002 03:48 PM

Once again, lack of *distinction* kills GM's half-azzed attempt. In reality it doesn't look half bad, but it looks just like the next Silverado. The differences are body-colored details here & there, & special wheels. That's it. Same engine. Single exhaust. Too tall for any respectable cornering. What a pity. At least get rid of that useless extra cab and offer short-bed and long-bed versions, both regular cab. I hope GMPD is about MORE than just this.

kizz 06-28-2002 03:53 PM

LOL it's got better looking exhaust outlets out the front than it does out the back... ugh.. http://web.camaross.com/bb/rolleyes.gif

Chris 96 WS6 06-28-2002 04:30 PM

Neil, the Lightning has a MUCH lower ride height, and is a regular cab w/stepside bed, making it not only lighter but sportier looking, too.

------------------
Owner, Nashville Speed & Performance

1996 Trans Am WS6

cmc 06-28-2002 09:23 PM

Catering to the jacked-up redneck truck crowd, no doubt. Yeah, I want a crew cab 4x4 to sport my "SS" badges. The only design element from the SS concept to make it to production were the brake cooling ducts, but I'm sure it's just a goofy intake duct now.

I'm sure they're going to come out with some garbage touting it as a segment buster or something.

On a technical note, is this just a translation of the Sierra C3/Denali over to Chevrolet? AWD, six liter, crew cab... also four wheel steering perhaps? (Not appealing for "SS", but it would get all the morons raving about its handling abilities, I'm sure...)

cmc 06-28-2002 09:28 PM

It would be impossible for GM to make this truck look sporty for the simple fact that it's got the rugged Avalanche face. No matter how low it goes or how monochrome the paint job is, it's still got the angular mad max thing going on up front. Replacement head lights wouldn't do well either, because the face is still the same shape and so is the hood.

The Ford F-150 has no such "rugged" look, and it's done quite well for them in the aftermarket/sport truck crowds. As we can see, conservative styling, as long as it is up-to-date, is better than radical edgy styling.

Darth Xed 06-28-2002 10:07 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmc:

The Ford F-150 has no such "rugged" look, and it's done quite well for them in the aftermarket/sport truck crowds. As we can see, conservative styling, as long as it is up-to-date, is better than radical edgy styling.
</font>
I don't know that I'd call the F-150 styling 'up to date'. It's unchanged since 1997...

I actually think that Silverado SS looks nice for a truck... nothing special, but it looks nice.

cmc 06-28-2002 10:21 PM

Well, yeah, there are other conservatively-styled cars: The Cavalier and the Century. They're conservative, but they're outdated to the point of ugly, and boring, respectively.

And yeah, the Silverado is an OK truck, but its styling just does not lend itself to the sport truck market the same way the Dakota and F-150 do.

stars1010 06-28-2002 10:50 PM

The only word that came to mind when I looked at that link was "DISSAPOINTMENT".........ugh