Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mazda RZ8 looks like a screaming fish?

Old 03-28-2003, 08:29 AM

Mazda RZ8 looks like a screaming fish?

Why would a car maker make a new flagship car so ugly...the car has a great interior...dynamics and execution....but why must it look like a screaming fish?
Old 03-28-2003, 08:33 AM

I think the profile is even worse than the front end.

The way those suicide doors are meshed into the form is hideous.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:28 AM

It's exterior is really a shame, because that car has a pretty sweet interior.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:22 AM

Doesn't matter what the inside looks like.

Doesn't matter how fast it goes.

You still have to WALK UP to the thing, open the door, and endure the snickers of the crowd as you do so. No thanks.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:49 AM

I agree that a lot of japanese cars (see: WRX) have had questionable styling that has turned me off the past few years.

BUT, i also believe this car is a very strong step in the right direction...very light at under 3000 lbs, state-of-the-art chassis and handling dynamics, and a overall refined package and interior. And yes, it is flat-out ugly why chevy made the SS concept look so much like it, i'll never know

Car mags in britain and the US are already crapping themselves over how much they love it. If they ever give it more power and clean up the shape, watch out...
Old 03-28-2003, 12:53 PM

As I found out when I got the latest Car&Driver in the mail...........if you live in a state/province where front license plates are mandatory and you drive a new RX8, you'll have a car that looks like a buck toothed puppy.........
Old 03-28-2003, 03:26 PM

Thumbs down

While it is a different approach to the sports coupe i dont see what the big deal is about the RX8. Could it be they just paid big bucks for good write ups? I know when the F-bods still made they're way into the MT, C&D mags they hated them. Those mags suck and i dont buy them for the reviews but just for reading material. If you ask me the car is pretty inefficient, you have to rev it sky high to get any power and can you imagine what a dog it will be with 4 people in the car with no torque.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by JC Z28
While it is a different approach to the sports coupe i dont see what the big deal is about the RX8. Could it be they just paid big bucks for good write ups? I know when the F-bods still made they're way into the MT, C&D mags they hated them. Those mags suck and i dont buy them for the reviews but just for reading material. If you ask me the car is pretty inefficient, you have to rev it sky high to get any power and can you imagine what a dog it will be with 4 people in the car with no torque.
Inefficent?

Its making the same power as the old turbocharged vesions N/A all while getting better gas milage and better emmisions. As for the lack of torque, remember this isnt a muscle car. Its not designed to be a strait line beast, but an all around sports car that accelerates, brakes and turns. 14 second et's is plenty fast for the majority of sport car buyers. I'm sure youd have plenty fun with it on a road course.

I think its a sweet all around car, the design just has to grow on us. In a year or 2 you'll probably be used to it and wont think it looks as bad as you do now. And, If they bring back the RX7 like rumors are saying, I'd be pretty excited to see that as well.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Magnum Force
I agree that a lot of japanese cars (see: WRX) have had questionable styling that has turned me off the past few years.

BUT, i also believe this car is a very strong step in the right direction...very light at under 3000 lbs, state-of-the-art chassis and handling dynamics, and a overall refined package and interior. And yes, it is flat-out ugly why chevy made the SS concept look so much like it, i'll never know...
Interesting point. The front end could be a the Chevrolet SS's twin, yet while most fell over themselves prasing the SS, the RX8 seems to have the opposite effect. Why?
Old 03-28-2003, 04:26 PM

I don't think it looks that bad.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:51 PM

They need to dump that junk engine, heard that it almost didn't make it into the US because emissions are so bad, plus look at the gas milage 18-city 23 highway in a 2940lbs. car, that is bad. The WS6/SS put out almost 100 more HP and 200 more tq, was about 3400lbs and managed an EPA 19/28
Old 03-28-2003, 04:53 PM

Wink

Yeah, but it's low tech.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:54 PM
cmc

Fish... don't scream.

As for the issue of the styling, I think it looks good. Not great, but not bad either.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:00 PM
Prominent Member

Thumbs down Personally.....

Originally posted by guionM
Interesting point. The front end could be a the Chevrolet SS's twin, yet while most fell over themselves prasing the SS, the RX8 seems to have the opposite effect. Why?
...I can't stand either one........ Awkward styling at best.....

Both cars seem to be designed by committee....a disfunctional one at that...........
Old 03-28-2003, 06:07 PM

Any1 got a link?? I thought this post was about the LS1 Camaro at 1st

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mazda RZ8 looks like a screaming fish?