Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Lease Shocker!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:35 PM

Lease Shocker!

Last week I received a call from my Chrysler dealer asking if I wanted to get out of the lease of my Dodge Ram with a lease rate of 0.9%. I'm paying $250 a month.

I like the truck, the only problem is that I haven't been using it as a truck and I work Downtown so parking can sometimes be a challenge. So I figured, sedan, here I come.

I went to the dealer and they were really pushing financing on me at 0% on a Charger R/T. The car is ok, it's just not a car I want to own, it's a car I would want to lease. BTW, because of the nature of my business, it's to my benefit to lease over own.

Anyways, when I told the dealer I would rather lease than finance, he looked at me and told me that Chrysler has a current lease rate of 12%!!!!!

That's crazy. It tells me that they have lost a lot of money in the leaseing business.

I just thought I'd share this story.

The dealer claims that Ford and GM are doing the same thing.

That's my story.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 PM

Yup, lease rates are VERY unfavorable across the board right now. All 3 of the "Big 3" oversubsidized leases with pumped up residuals for so long that they are now taking a bath on returns.

It's too bad, as I've traditionally leased at least one car, but looks like my next will be a buy.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:28 PM

you can actually still get good lease rates through FORD as they still have a company lease program. GM has stopped using GMAC and chrysler financial will not lease