CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Infiniti Goes all F and Q (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/infiniti-goes-all-f-q-870785/)

Eric77TA 12-18-2012 02:35 PM

Infiniti Goes all F and Q

Yet again, another automaker decides to go with an out of nowhere and unnecessary nomenclature change.

Infiniti queues up questionable Q and QX naming scheme

the pool boy 12-18-2012 04:40 PM

Re: Infiniti Goes all F and Q

Why?

King Moose SS 12-19-2012 09:41 PM

:lol: who honestly thought this was a good idea? I know luxury manufactures are convinced that not naming the vehicles is important to the brand image, but I'm not convinced Infiniti is doing it right. At least BMW the numbers increase as you move up to more luxurious and expensive cars. I don't see any pattern with the Infiniti switch.

Indelibility 12-22-2012 12:31 PM

That's an incredibly stupid idea. Least now it follows the engine size, Q50 and Q60 for the sedan and coupe version of the same car? Makes perfect sense Infiniti.

muckz 01-02-2013 03:47 PM

All beause they're trying to appear more luxurious, and feel that their initial offering, Q45, set the standard for their naming convention.

Not the smartest move, will work as well as the current naming convention for Lincoln.

Eric77TA 01-02-2013 04:42 PM

They haven't even made a Q45 since 2006, so I'm not sure what kind of prestige they're trying to pick up from a car that's been discontinued that long.

Totally don't get the Q50 for sedan/Q60 for coupe thing, but I guess it's no different than BMW offering a 328i sedan and an (upcoming) 428i coupe or Audi A4 being a sedan, but A5 a coupe of the same car.

I remember when Acura changed the name of the Legend to the RL they said it was because "They heard people talking about their Legend, but not their Acura." I guess by naming luxury cars anonymous names that most people can't get straight, it keeps the focus on the brand vs. the models. I'd wager there are owners of some of these alphabet soup luxury cars that don't remember which one they have...

ImportedRoomate 01-22-2013 06:05 PM

So no more manual available in the G sedan replacement. There goes another one. :(
My brother had a 05 G35 sedan with the M6 - that was a nice car.

muckz 02-01-2013 10:28 AM

One more thing, the Q50 has a full steer-by-wire system. There is no connection between the steering wheel and the rack.

So, it's as isolated as you can be from receiving any road/steering feedback.

Bleh.

But otherwise a great car. I drove a 2012 G37x, and fell in love with the car's handling, power, and agility. It's one of those cars that's underappreciated until you drive it for a day.