Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

If you want Pontiac to live, start thinking out of the box.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by jrp4uc
A Chevy version of it for the US is even easier. Why do two of them?
Because that wouldn't save Pontiac!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass

In terms of the new GTO and the G8; I belong to the Pontiac clubs. The majority of these people didn't/don't fawn over these cars for a few reasons. One being, they weren't built in the U.S. Another being, is that they had no stylistic relationship with the Pontiacs from the golden era. Another one (which I personally thought was rediculous) was that the cars don't have a real Pontiac V-8 in them (yes, many people complained about that).

Yeah, I know. I made the mistake of asking someone from a local GTO club, what he thought of the '04 GTO when it came out. He gave me an earful.

Originally Posted by Jim the Nomad
My opinion is based only on my own anecdotal evidence, but outside of this message board and one or two people I know that own firebirds, no one gives a rat's @ss about Pontiac...

I have a hunch that where many on this board say "Grand Am and Grand Prix were great names" and "people knew them" and "pontiac is the sporty, edgy, and exciting brand," most of America remembers the Grand Am and Grand Prix as lackluster, cheap, and generally undesirable rental cars, and thinks of pontiac as "Chevy Cars with a grill that looks like a BMW's if you squint."
I have to agree with your assessment.

BTW, one scenario has Pontiac being axed, with Saturn moving into BPG (BSG?) and taking it's place.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
How many people actually think the Grand Prix was a competitive car in its class? I know there are a few on here. Do you really think that it compared well with an Impala, Accord, or Camry?

I'd had more than a few rides in recent Grand Prixs (rental cars). The renters pretty much universally disliked them. Their styling resulted in interior space compromises, yet they weren't at all sporty. From what I could tell, they just didn't sell to non-captive private buyers.

On the other hand, some people actually do like the Impala -- mostly because of it's spaciousness. It's not trying to be something it's not, and it's pretty good at what it actually is (a large sedan).
Speaking with regard to the 97-03 GPs (the 04-08 ones don't count), if the GPs had a firmer suspension, and slightly more comfortable seats, then yes, it would have been right up at the top of the mid-size family sedan group.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 AM

My last 3 car purchases were all Pontiacs, and I planned on buying another (G8) until the economy shi!t the bed. I agree with Charlie that many of you seem to be all talk when it comes to begging for RWD V8 powered Pontiacs. When they show up, nobody seems to buy them.

I have had plenty of "old school" Pontiac guys lecture me on whether or not my GTO deserves the name. If I give one of them a ride, the story changes a bit
Old 12-05-2008, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi
Speaking with regard to the 97-03 GPs (the 04-08 ones don't count), if the GPs had a firmer suspension, and slightly more comfortable seats, then yes, it would have been right up at the top of the mid-size family sedan group.
But they didn't , so they weren't.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by uluz28
I agree with Charlie that many of you seem to be all talk when it comes to begging for RWD V8 powered Pontiacs. When they show up, nobody seems to buy them.

I bought mine... G8 GT, but yeah... internet causes a lot of "Talk" and not enough follow through.

I still would love to see a Coupe 60 for sale... i'd buy that over the Camaro and I'm a Camaro Junkie!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ADV1
I bought mine... G8 GT, but yeah... internet causes a lot of "Talk" and not enough follow through.

I still would love to see a Coupe 60 for sale... i'd buy that over the Camaro and I'm a Camaro Junkie!
Just curious, what about the Coupe 60 would make you buy it over the Camaro?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:38 AM

I agree with Charlie that many of you seem to be all talk when it comes to begging for RWD V8 powered Pontiacs. When they show up, nobody seems to buy them.
I've done my part, and then some.
I bought my 2002 T/A Collector Edition in 2001 and a 2007 Solstice GXP in 2008.
Bought both of them brand new.

But notice how they are REAL Pontiacs. High power, high style, great driving dynamics, RWD.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Just curious, what about the Coupe 60 would make you buy it over the Camaro?
I just really love the styling... in all reality it's the same chassis and set up as the Camaro but with a design that's more forward thinking. don't get me wrong, the new Camaro is beutiful and I'd love to own one someday but if I where to spend my money today I think I'd lean towards the Coupe 60.

Afterall, if I wanted a 60's looking Camaro for $30K I'd go and buy me a true '69...

I threw in the photochopped Pontiac version as well for reference on what this could look like for us.

I do really like the G8/Commodore that much and I think it's a lot of car for the money just like the Camaro is.

You know, I actually get more looks and thumbs up in my G8/GT than I do in either of my Camaro's (1984 & 1973 Z28). I'da never thought that would happen but the G8 just has that awesome street presence.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ADV1

I would take that over a new Camaro as well...athough I do like the design of the Camaro a lot...
Old 12-05-2008, 11:07 AM

See, I think the Coupe 60 is good looking car.
HOWEVER, Pontiac purists will NOT buy this car. Why? Because it doesn't look like a Pontiac. It doesn't have the styling elements and cues that the great Pontiacs from the '60s and early '70s had.
I'm sure the structure is great. Just reskin the thing so that it looks like a real Pontiac.

Get the team that did the Camaro, and tell them to do to this car what they did for the Camaro. If you do that, you would have one kick-*** looking Pontiac.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by rlchv70
Because that wouldn't save Pontiac!!!
They need more badge-engineered vehicles sold at the dealer down the street to be saved? How about some exclusive, worthwhile product?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
I've done my part, and then some.
I bought my 2002 T/A Collector Edition in 2001 and a 2007 Solstice GXP in 2008.
Bought both of them brand new.

But notice how they are REAL Pontiacs. High power, high style, great driving dynamics, RWD.

I've driven the GTO, G8 and Solstice. All nice cars.

But the last REAL Pontiac I drove was my cousin's '79 W72 Trans Am.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 AM

screw the Pontiac "pureists"

Pontiac is not going back to there own motors and we are not building a 66 GTO again.

If pontiac is to survive they need unique, no rebadge product. Basing anything on the 60-70's Pontiacs will just mean death to the brand.

The current Pontiac fans have bought and loved the new offerings. They fill the internet forums owning, racing, living the GTO, G8 and Solstice.

Not sure if they are enough to keep a niche brand alive. They can help, not some salty 04-06 GTO hating old man.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM

My last 3 car purchases were all Pontiacs, and I planned on buying another (G8) until the economy shi!t the bed. I agree with Charlie that many of you seem to be all talk when it comes to begging for RWD V8 powered Pontiacs. When they show up, nobody seems to buy them.

I have had plenty of "old school" Pontiac guys lecture me on whether or not my GTO deserves the name. If I give one of them a ride, the story changes a bit
Why did you postpone the purchase? Did you lose your job? Can't get financing? Lose a ton of money in the stock market? I'm just curious. Because people tightening their wallets because someone's screaming "the sky is faling!" only makes things worse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you want Pontiac to live, start thinking out of the box.