CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Honda recall over fire in Fit models (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/honda-recall-over-fire-fit-models-734441/)

muckz 01-29-2010 10:38 AM

Honda recall over fire in Fit models

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8487475.stm

Honda recalls its Fit model (known as Jazz outside North America) globally due to fires caused by a switch.

Apparently, a 2-year old died in Cape Town while she was sleeping in the car... Don't they have laws there, that you can't leave children in the car unattended?

Pentatonic 01-29-2010 01:52 PM

Not a good week for Japan's automakers.

Hopefully this helps the public realize that the quality of Toyota and Honda is not infallible after all.

jcamere94z28 01-29-2010 02:05 PM

and this one probably wont make national news...

HuJass 01-29-2010 03:15 PM

Didn't Honda have a big recall earlier this year? Something about their airbags shooting out shrapnel when they deploy?

muckz 01-29-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass (Post 6250404)
Didn't Honda have a big recall earlier this year? Something about their airbags shooting out shrapnel when they deploy?

Is it US model only?

F*ck you whale, and f*ck you dolphin!

Perhaps someone told them the truth and that's their way of getting back? :D

scott9050 01-29-2010 06:03 PM

Not a good week for japan, but a great week of news for U.S. car makers.

onebadponcho 01-29-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28 (Post 6250356)
and this one probably wont make national news...

What do you think that link is? Yeah, that's right, it's world news.

You people really need to get over yourselves.

PacerX 01-30-2010 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho (Post 6250556)

You people really need to get over yourselves.

'06 Natural White Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4

Tee...
Tee hee...

onebadponcho 01-31-2010 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX (Post 6251154)
'06 Natural White Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4

Tee...
Tee hee...

Really? :rolleyes:

This is coming from a person with a vehicle in his signature that Ralph Nader would have a complete field day with.

PacerX 01-31-2010 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho (Post 6251625)
Really?

Yep.

All that money spent for the 2nd worst truck in the history of trucks... which may move into 1st as soon as the recalls are done...

Originally Posted by onebadponcho (Post 6251625)
This is coming from a person with a vehicle in his signature that Ralph Nader would have a complete field day with.

Ralph Nader doesn't like Hayabusas?

91_z28_4me 01-31-2010 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by PacerX (Post 6251884)
Ralph Nader doesn't like Hayabusas?

I'm trying to figure out this one too. Perhaps he confused Cavalier with Corvair?

onebadponcho 02-01-2010 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX (Post 6251884)
Yep.

All that money spent for the 2nd worst truck in the history of trucks... which may move into 1st as soon as the recalls are done..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tundra

Let's see....from 2000-2006, the Tundra was the most fuel-efficient, most reliable, and retain the highest retail value of ANY full size truck sold in the United States. Tee hee that.

I digress.....

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me (Post 6251963)
I'm trying to figure out this one too. Perhaps he confused Cavalier with Corvair?

How funny that you mention the Corvair. Does "Unsafe at ANY speed" sound familiar? Mr. Nader made the ol' General look pretty bad; needless to say, GM wasn't the least bit happy about it. Instead of addressing the safety issues, GM did all sorts of messed up stuff in retaliation to try and discredit Nader (like sending prostitutes to proposition him), he sued GM, then the two parties settled out of court. Real stand-up of you, GM. :rolleyes:
That and if a Corvair can be so unsafe, then the same model years of the No-Va must be just as bad, right?

What does all that have to do with the whopping 7 incidents involving the window motors on the Honda Fit? The original point was that the majority here seems to think there's this huge media conspiracy against American auto companies. News flash: the majority of you are WRONG. IF there's anything really true about the news and media, they're ALWAYS looking for something "bad" to report, regardless of the source. Whether we're talking about the past issues with Ford Exploders or Toyota unintentionally trying to take over the Ram name from Dodge, they're definitely getting equal play in the news media, so I say again, get over yourselves already.

91_z28_4me 02-01-2010 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho (Post 6252394)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tundra

Let's see....from 2000-2006, the Tundra was the most fuel-efficient, most reliable, and retain the highest retail value of ANY full size truck sold in the United States. Tee hee that.

Yeah, it is 2010. How is that resale value going to be when the vehicle has had a MAJOR recall? How is that reliability rating when the vehicle isn't safe to drive by the own manufacturer's admission?

How funny that you mention the Corvair. Does "Unsafe at ANY speed" sound familiar? Mr. Nader made the ol' General look pretty bad; needless to say, GM wasn't the least bit happy about it. Instead of addressing the safety issues, GM did all sorts of messed up stuff in retaliation to try and discredit Nader (like sending prostitutes to proposition him), he sued GM, then the two parties settled out of court. Real stand-up of you, GM. :rolleyes:
Yeah GM didn't handle that well at all, something everyone can admit. But you need to clear up your facts. GM had already redesigned the suspension by the time the book was published. There were MANY cars using a similar suspension setup at the time the original Corvair was being produced, including the Porsche 911. After a HUGE federal investigation, the conclusion was that the Corvair was no less safe than any other vehicle on the road. Also GM actually extended the lifespan of the Corvair a few years, essentially to spite Nader!

That and if a Corvair can be so unsafe, then the same model years of the No-Va must be just as bad, right?
Why because so much was shared between a front engined RWD grocery getter and a rear engined RWD sports sedan? Was it the air cooled H6 that was shared, No. Was it the 4 wheel independent suspension that was shared, No.

Was it because someone who doesn't know jack saying that just because a car is made around the same time as another by the same company? Yes.

What does all that have to do with the whopping 7 incidents involving the window motors on the Honda Fit? The original point was that the majority here seems to think there's this huge media conspiracy against American auto companies. News flash: the majority of you are WRONG. IF there's anything really true about the news and media, they're ALWAYS looking for something "bad" to report, regardless of the source. Whether we're talking about the past issues with Ford Exploders or Toyota unintentionally trying to take over the Ram name from Dodge, they're definitely getting equal play in the news media, so I say again, get over yourselves already.
I think you are over-reacting. Before you started your little flame bait only 1 person had even suggested media bias. And that can be explained that this is a much smaller scale recall than the Toyota and likely wouldn't garner as much attention. But you had to go and make a big deal out of this instead of just making a comment and moving on.

onebadponcho 02-01-2010 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me (Post 6252490)
Yeah, it is 2010. How is that resale value going to be when the vehicle has had a MAJOR recall? How is that reliability rating when the vehicle isn't safe to drive by the own manufacturer's admission?

EXACTLY.....and I'm sure you're aware that the 2000-2006 Tundras are not part of that recall, and that it was completely redesigned for 2007 (the ones that have been recalled).

Also GM actually extended the lifespan of the Corvair a few years, essentially to spite Nader!.

Of course GM had to do something else to "spite" Nader, since they couldn't get him to sleep with all those hookers they sent him, so they actually built a "safer" Corvair. Way to "spite" Nader by doing what he wanted you to do in the first place GM! :thumb:
As an aside, my grandfather on my mom's side owned MANY Corvairs; he loved those cars. The only thing I remember riding in them as a kid is it was like riding in an oven.

Why because so much was shared between a front engined RWD grocery getter and a rear engined RWD sports sedan? Was it the air cooled H6 that was shared, No. Was it the 4 wheel independent suspension that was shared, No.

Was it because someone who doesn't know jack saying that just because a car is made around the same time as another by the same company? Yes.

Just so you can attempt to understand where I'm coming from when I said that, a 2006 Tundra and 2010 Tundra have about as much in common with each other (names notwithstanding) as the '63 Corvair and a '63 Nova. Comprende?

I think you are over-reacting. Before you started your little flame bait only 1 person had even suggested media bias. And that can be explained that this is a much smaller scale recall than the Toyota and likely wouldn't garner as much attention. But you had to go and make a big deal out of this instead of just making a comment and moving on.

Hmmmm, did you just become a member of this board yesterday? Because you know damn well as I do that there's YEARS worth of posts in other threads here suggesting the aforementioned "media bias". This is just another obvious extension of that thought that you apparently couldn't see.

91_z28_4me 02-01-2010 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho (Post 6252527)
EXACTLY.....and I'm sure you're aware that the 2000-2006 Tundras are not part of that recall, and that it was completely redesigned for 2007 (the ones that have been recalled).

Actually I don't keep up on Toyota model year changes, I just realized the other day that Toyota had done something different with the Camry grill than I had seen before. Turns out it was an MCE.

Of course GM had to do something else to "spite" Nader, since they couldn't get him to sleep with all those hookers they sent him, so they actually built a "safer" Corvair. Way to "spite" Nader by doing what he wanted you to do in the first place GM! :thumb:
You don't get it. GM had already improved the Corvair before Nader's book came out, it was a done deal. They simply extended production of the car a few years because they could (ironically the Camaro took over the Corvair's spot as Chevy's non-Corvette sports car).

Just so you can attempt to understand where I'm coming from when I said that, a 2006 Tundra and 2010 Tundra have about as much in common with each other (names notwithstanding) as the '63 Corvair and a '63 Nova. Comprende?
Actually the 2 different Tundras share a lot more than the 63 Corvair and Nova. The 4.7 V8 and 5 speed auto combo for one major example. The Corvair and Nova are COMPLETELY different types of vehicles. They share less than a Corolla and MR2 did! Heck they didn't share engines, transmissions, body stampings, support structures, or suspension components! The engine is located in the opposite ends of the vehicle. You could not pick 2 GM cars that were more different.

Hmmmm, did you just become a member of this board yesterday? Because you know damn well as I do that there's YEARS worth of posts in other threads here suggesting the aforementioned "media bias". This is just another obvious extension of that thought that you apparently couldn't see.
Actually I have been a member here for quite a while and I like to think I pay attention pretty well. That being said if you don't like the public bias here: LEAVE! Don't bring it up in every thread or else they degrade to arguments like this one.

If you want to keep on trolling, go ahead. I have made my point and I am done.