Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Holden's 60 Coupe Concept

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Wow, that would make an awesome GTO
Sure would.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:41 AM

What you have here guys, is the Holden Monaro concept version of the cancelled GMX282 GTO.

I've got to say, that I think Holden did a much nicer presentation of this concept than GMNA did of the Camaro concept. This thing is just dripping with cool road race inspired cues and elements. Where the Camaro concept's details were - well - gimmicky, the 60's are just badass.

Last edited by Z284ever; 03-01-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
What you have here guys, is the Holden Monaro concept version of the cancelled GMX282 GTO.

I've got to say, that I think Holden did a much nicer presentation of this concept than GMNA did of the Camaro concept. This thing is just dripping with cool road race inspired cues and elements. Where the Camaro concept's details were - well - gimmicky, the 60's are just badass.
Exactly. Don't get me wrong, the Camaro looks real nice, I love the CTS, ditto Corvette, but why is it that Holden seems to always come up with fresh, amazing designs?

I'm hoping that can make it over here as a Pontiac coupe, be it called GTO or somehing else.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 AM

This car is lighting the net on fire . I think every GM forum , and mostly non-GM forums Ive seen are full of pages of people just drooling .
Old 03-01-2008, 01:20 PM

Yeah, I hope someone at GM is paying attention. When you have other maker's car sites lit up like this...you're looking at a winner.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
This car is lighting the net on fire . I think every GM forum , and mostly non-GM forums Ive seen are full of pages of people just drooling .
Words cannot describe how much better of a Camaro this would have made. The one we're getting sends the completely wrong message about what kind of company GM is in the 21st century. It says GM is a follower not a leader (For did a retro Mustang? We should too!). It says GM is slow to respond to the market (the retro fad is 10 years old and pretty much over, so why bring out another retro car now?). It says GM is too risk-averse to try to evolve the segment, and would rather stick with what worked in 1967. The Camaro will appeal mostly to GM enthusiasts and people that yearn for the glory days of the 1960s (a small and shrinking market) but isn't going to do much to bring new buyers into the GM fold. To me, the Camaro screams 'old GM thinking' far too loudly.

The 60 Coupe as a new Camaro would have erased all of that. It's a thoroughly modern, beautifully styled car that would have re-defined the pony car for the 21st century and really put the Mustang and Challenger to shame. People would legitimately cross-shop and compare it to G37s, 3-series BMWs, and other aspirational cars. It would have improved GM's image, instead of giving fodder to those perpetuating the mullet stereotype about Camaros. And I would have been first in line to buy one.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:23 PM

Ding! I have a woody. That car looks so very awesome!!!!!!!

GM is on a roll, and cars like this keep me smiling for their future.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by R377
The 60 Coupe as a new Camaro would have erased all of that. It's a thoroughly modern, beautifully styled car that would have re-defined the pony car for the 21st century and really put the Mustang and Challenger to shame. People would legitimately cross-shop and compare it to G37s, 3-series BMWs, and other aspirational cars. It would have improved GM's image, instead of giving fodder to those perpetuating the mullet stereotype about Camaros. And I would have been first in line to buy one.
I don't agree with you one bit. The Camaro isn't supposed to be a 3 series or G37 competitor. The buyer of mid $30K luxury sport coupe isn't going to cross shop a mid $20K pony car.

GM has an answer to those cars. It comes in the form of the G8 and CTS. Really where GM is missing the boat is the lack of a coupe versions of these cars. The 60 will solve that issue for the G8... I don't know about the CTS.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kris93/95Z28
GM has an answer to those cars. It comes in the form of the G8 and CTS. .
Not really. GM has nothing that competes directly with the 3 series or G37. Not until Alpha come online.

The CTS hits the price points, but is one segment larger.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:28 PM

I don't agree with you one bit. The Camaro isn't supposed to be a 3 series or G37 competitor. The buyer of mid $30K luxury sport coupe isn't going to cross shop a mid $20K pony car.
Despite what automakers and car magazines would have you believe, the market is not divided up into tidy little categories where cars compete only against others in their segment. Just because one car is labelled a "pony car" and another is a "luxury sport coupe", doesn't mean people won't cross-shop them. People purchase things according to their needs, and if a $28,000 "pony car" happens to fulfill those same needs as a $35,000 "luxury sport coupe", well, they're not going to care what segment Car and Driver thinks they belong in.

I actually think cars like the 3-series fulfill the same mission that pony cars did in the 1960s. They provide young couples with a car that can do family duties when necessary, but have enough sportiness and visual appeal to make their owners feel young and let them have some fun. In a perfect world, the pony car should have evolved to the market occupied by the 3-series. Which is why I think the 60 Coupe would have made a much better Camaro.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:39 PM

Despite what automakers and car magazines would have you believe, the market is not divided up into tidy little categories where cars compete only against others in their segment. Just because one car is labelled a "pony car" and another is a "luxury sport coupe", doesn't mean people won't cross-shop them. People purchase things according to their needs, and if a $28,000 "pony car" happens to fulfill those same needs as a $35,000 "luxury sport coupe", well, they're not going to care what segment Car and Driver thinks they belong in.

I actually think cars like the 3-series fulfill the same mission that pony cars did in the 1960s. They provide young couples with a car that can do family duties when necessary, but have enough sportiness and visual appeal to make their owners feel young and let them have some fun. In a perfect world, the pony car should have evolved to the market occupied by the 3-series. Which is why I think the 60 Coupe would have made a much better Camaro.
I agree with alot of what you said other than this being a better design than camaro preproduction. One thing you might be missing once you throw pony car and lux sport coupe labels out the window is camaro is bigger than the 3 series. I think it could drop to 3 series size as long as it accepts a small block but barring the width I like where the preproduction is now.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 03-01-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:54 PM

GM has an answer to those cars. It comes in the form of the G8 and CTS. Really where GM is missing the boat is the lack of a coupe versions of these cars. The 60 will solve that issue for the G8... I don't know about the CTS.
Ummmm..... CTC AKA CTS coupe

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...&highlight=CTC

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/14/d...s-better-than/
Old 03-01-2008, 02:54 PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that people apply the term "ponycar" pretty loose and fast nowadays?

I mean people call all manner of two door cars - the GTO, this 60 concept, even the Challenger, a ponycar. But, the 3 or 1 series coupe, the G35/37 coupe and the upcoming Genesis coupe - all of which, IMHO, are far more appropriately sized for the term "ponycar" - are not.

Odd.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that people apply the term "ponycar" pretty loose and fast nowadays?

I mean people call all manner of two door cars - the GTO, this 60 concept, even the Challenger, a ponycar. But, the 3 or 1 series coupe, the G35/37 coupe and the upcoming Genesis coupe - all of which, IMHO, are far more appropriately sized for the term "ponycar" - are not.

Odd.
to me simply means 2dr V8 rear drive smaller than GTO or nova. Thats the part I like. Other than that I really dont care whether you call it pony car, sport coupe, sport lux coupe or whatever.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Words cannot describe how much better of a Camaro this would have made. The one we're getting sends the completely wrong message about what kind of company GM is in the 21st century. It says GM is a follower not a leader (For did a retro Mustang? We should too!). It says GM is slow to respond to the market (the retro fad is 10 years old and pretty much over, so why bring out another retro car now?). It says GM is too risk-averse to try to evolve the segment, and would rather stick with what worked in 1967. The Camaro will appeal mostly to GM enthusiasts and people that yearn for the glory days of the 1960s (a small and shrinking market) but isn't going to do much to bring new buyers into the GM fold. To me, the Camaro screams 'old GM thinking' far too loudly.

Very well-stated post.

IMO the Camaro will still be an excellent and attractive car, but I agree that choosing it over this "GTO" was a fundamentally conservative decision. GM chose to go back to the old Detriot ponycar formula rather than building an aspirational conquest car.

Quick Reply: Holden's 60 Coupe Concept