Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Holden's 60 Coupe Concept

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 04:25 PM

Holden's 60 Coupe Concept

http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/*query?...e60&source=all

Looks like there is a sister car. Looking at the specs, sounds like Camaro to me.

Holden Fans Get 60th Anniversary Present

GM Holden today marked the diamond anniversary of its first all Australian car by unveiling a stunning two-door performance thoroughbred called Coupe 60.

Coupe 60 celebrates the six decades since GM Holden built the 48-215 at its Fishermans Bend plant in Port Melbourne, Victoria, and provides a glimpse of Holden’s future directions in design, engineering and emerging engine technologies.

Exemplifying sports luxury, Coupe 60 is a pillarless concept car that explores the limits of Holden’s current rear-wheel drive capabilities, combining racing looks and technology into a road going sportscar experience.

Its sophisticated appearance is delivered through simple and powerful design, highlighted by the pillarless construction and V8 supercar inspired cockpit layout and side-exiting chambered exhaust system with billet alloy tips.

Almost 60mm shorter than the VE sedan, and sitting on 21-inch centre-lock alloy wheels with unique design Kumho high performance semi-slick tyres, Coupe 60 captures all that’s exciting about the Holden DNA.

Other racing-derived enhancements include full flat under body, rear underbody air diffuser and functional rear deck-lid spoiler with unique designed LED tail lamps.

The interior also has several unique features. They include one piece carbon fiber bucket seats (featuring leather and suede pad design) and a sports-inspired flat bottomed steering wheel with integrated shift light display and LCD sports instrument cluster.

The high gloss carbon fiber carries through to doors and rear trim providing a contrast to the leather trimmed instrument panel and black suede trimmed pillars, headliners and parcel shelf.

Details and accents are picked out with a distinctive red high shine leather on the seats and dark gunmetal finish and satin chrome on the consoles and doors.

Front seats are adjustable fore and aft to allow easy access to the rear, with four-point race harness restraints for all seating positions.

Under the bonnet is just as forward looking, with a 6.0 litre V8 engine incorporating the latest technologies such as active fuel management and calibrated for E85 ethanol fuel.

Even the paint is a one-off. Called ‘Diamond Silver’ by Holden designers, it gives a liquid aluminium finish that almost slides off the bodywork.

GM Holden Chairman and Managing Director Mark Reuss said, “Coupe 60 is Holden's 60th anniversary gift to its fans worldwide.

“It highlights Holden’s heritage of rear wheel drive performance whilst looking ahead to the potential offered by new technologies and materials.

“This is a vehicle I know our designers would dearly love to see go into production, but for the moment it has to remain a concept only,” he said.

Project Designer Manager, Peter Hughes, said, “We were looking to mark the diamond anniversary with a car that captured the Holden DNA and took the current VE range to an exciting next step.

“Even in the early stages of VE development, we knew there was a sensational coupe waiting to get out and the 60 th anniversary has given us the chance to explore that.

“With Coupe 60 we think we have designed a car that has the potential to write another chapter in the book of Holden icons.”

Coupe 60 – Specifications and Features (Coupe 60 overlaid on VE Sedan)

Last edited by Big Als Z; 02-28-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:04 PM

Wow, that would make an awesome GTO
Old 02-28-2008, 05:05 PM

So... will we be getting something like this here in the USA in BPG dealers?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Looks pretty nice. I like the interior of that car a lot better than what I have seen from the Camaro, especially the center stack.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:44 PM

Instant hard on! That car is sexy!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Wow, that would make an awesome GTO
Sure looks similar to the leaked concept sketches of what the GTO WAS supposed to look like.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:04 PM

Now that's a Camaro I'd buy!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
Sure looks similar to the leaked concept sketches of what the GTO WAS supposed to look like.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:13 PM

hmm.. couldve sworn someone on these forums said Holden wasnt gonna make a coupe off the VE platform.. no Monaro.. thus no GTO... this concept sure looks like it's intended for production eventially.. wow its awesome, i hope hope hope a business case can be made to bring it over to the states

Last edited by FS3800; 02-28-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:16 PM

a pontiac version by Camaro_freak over at GMI
Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
Good point.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
That looks badass!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:05 PM

I loved it until the godawful Pontiac grille went on it.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 PM

Everything except the grille and hood scoops looks VERY VW/Audi on that car.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 PM

hmm.. couldve sworn someone on these forums said Holden wasnt gonna make a coupe off the VE platform.. no Monaro.. thus no GTO... this concept sure looks like it's intended for production eventially.. wow its awesome, i hope hope hope a business case can be made to bring it over to the states
Yea.... I remember that when someone else insisted that this very car was going to happen and that other person probally wanted to throw a straight jacket on him.....Hmmm.... who could that have been that had been saying this car would happen???

I honestly don't know what's going to happen to that car. Lutz first made the case that the Ute probally wouldn't make it but the wagon would, and then the opposite happened. Then he stated that the GTO (Monaro) wouldn't make it, but there's people at Holden that still think it's a very real likelihood, despite the skewed US to Aussie dollar exchange rate of late.

My understanding is the car won't happen unless it's picked up for North America, and if it comes to North America it's going to be a low optioned premium coupe like the last GTO was. If (and right now that's a big IF) the car reaches production and comes here, it's run (like the last GTO) will likely have a termination date. No later than 2012, currently.

If I were to place odds on it coming here, I'd place it somewhere around 51/49 in favor.
But then again, I would have rated the G8 wagon at 90% in favor and it's not happening for now, so what do I know?

Last edited by guionM; 02-28-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Holden's 60 Coupe Concept