CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   HEMI SRT-8 on the way. (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/hemi-srt-8-way-30781/)

Z284ever 10-02-2002 12:33 AM

HEMI SRT-8 on the way.

Carandtrucknews.com reports that in addition to the Ram V-10 SRT-10...Dodge may be working on a Dakota SRT-8 HEMI.

Umm...how fast is that Atlas I5 Colorado?

Burmite 10-02-2002 02:01 AM

Well one thing I don't understand is this. Officially, a V8/LSx engine will NOT fit inside of the Colorado. But in the Trailbalzer, they have a 5.3 inside of it. So logically since the Trailblazer and the Colorado are so closely linked, WHY can't a simple LS1 or 6.0 not fit inside of the Colorado??? if GM wants to give this truck competition, let alone have a small V8 truck like DOdge has with the Dakota, then why will they not put the V8 inside of it? An Atlas I5 in no case will provide enough power.

IZ28 10-02-2002 09:04 AM

Chevrolet and GM in general needs to get with it. Performance is what people are wanting.

305fan 10-02-2002 12:15 PM

cool :D sounds like a truck I could buy- affordable-unlike the high buck Siverado SS. Give me cheap price, rwd (for smoke shows) and a reg cab and I'll go embarrass the SS

guionM 10-02-2002 12:46 PM

Let me get this straight. The SRT-8 Dakota will have the new Hemi engine which puts out the same amout of power as the Silverado SS, weighs less than the Silverado SS, is cheaper than Silverado SS, is 2 wheel drive unlike Silverado SS, and comes in a standard cab, also unlike Silverado SS. :think:

Gee. I wonder which is the better deal & the faster truck? :rolleyes:

RiceEating5.0 10-02-2002 01:23 PM

Originally posted by guionM
Let me get this straight. The SRT-8 Dakota will have the new Hemi engine which puts out the same amout of power as the Silverado SS, weighs less than the Silverado SS, is cheaper than Silverado SS, is 2 wheel drive unlike Silverado SS, and comes in a standard cab, also unlike Silverado SS. :think:

Gee. I wonder which is the better deal & the faster truck? :rolleyes:

Lol, the SS supporters can longer use the "but it'll sell more" line as an excuse. Dodge and ford will be hitting them from all sides.

It's still a cool truck, just could use a little more motivation in terms of power. A nice blower would have topped it off just fine.

FUTURE_OF_GM 10-02-2002 09:43 PM

GMT differences.

The Colorado and the Trailblazer really aren't that closely related.....

I'm sure GM has something up their sleeve.

guionM 10-03-2002 12:34 PM

Re: GMT differences.

Originally posted by FUTURE_OF_GM

A 6.0 V8 Colorado SS would be a good start. :D

formula79 10-03-2002 12:48 PM

I know they have a highly developed 315 HP Turbo I5:)

Burmite 10-04-2002 03:15 AM

Re: GMT differences.

Originally posted by FUTURE_OF_GM

They aren't? Ok. That answers that then. I assumed that the Trailblazer and Colorado would be related as Silverado is to Suburban and S10 is to Blazer. Same engines, same engine bay, etc. That therefore, an I6 or a V8 would fit inside. I thought with its size alone, the V8 would fit too. Thanks FOG.

Ken S 10-04-2002 11:18 AM

Originally posted by IZ28
Chevrolet and GM in general needs to get with it. Performance is what people are wanting.
Didn't Lutz say he wanted to inject some more performance into GM's line up?? I wonder how much performance he actually meant by that.

Anyways, it does look like GM's trying to fix up their image of quality too.. Everybody wants everything these days.. Performance, flawless interiors, and low price...

FUTURE_OF_GM 10-04-2002 01:32 PM

Re: Re: GMT differences.

Originally posted by Burmite
They aren't? Ok. That answers that then. I assumed that the Trailblazer and Colorado would be related as Silverado is to Suburban and S10 is to Blazer. Same engines, same engine bay, etc. That therefore, an I6 or a V8 would fit inside. I thought with its size alone, the V8 would fit too. Thanks FOG.
The Silverado and Suburban both share the GMT800 platform, therefore the running gear can interchange.

The Trailblazer, and Colorado, however DO NOT share the same platform ( GMT355, and GMT360 respectively ) The Colorado was primarily developed by Isuzu, and will be used globally, which is probably the reason a V8 wont fit (If that is the case) While the Trailblazer was developed here by GMNA.

***P.S. Someone correct me if I got those platform codes wrong.

Burmite 10-04-2002 02:11 PM

Thanks for the clarification!

transam8 10-04-2002 02:39 PM

And the plot thickens. Yet another truck that will lay the smack down on the "SS". COME ON GM!

-Mike

SavageZ28 10-06-2002 08:30 AM

Awesome. This is exactly what the Dakota R/T needs. That old 360 needed to go anyways. GM needs to wake up, their SS Silverado is getting :Owned: by everybody else and they haven't even begun production yet.