Haven't been here in a while! - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 AM   #1

Haven't been here in a while!

Boy, I used to spend so much time on this part of the site. Haven't been here in years. Any of the old crew, (you know who you are!), still around?
Z284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:35 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Haven't been here in a while!

Might want to post this in the Lounge. I don't think anyone looks at the "Automotive News....." forum any more. Not many of us left. Sad.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
Might want to post this in the Lounge. I don't think anyone looks at the "Automotive News....." forum any more. Not many of us left. Sad.
Too bad, 10 years ago this place was on fire!
Old 09-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Hi Charlie!

How do you feel about the sixth-gen Camaro? Or the fifth-gen Z/28?

Iíve had a bit of on-track behind the wheel time with a Ď16 2SS 8A. Itís still too heavy, but it is heading in the right direction for sure (300 lbs off the 5th gen!), and the driving dynamics are brilliant.

Iím still daily driving my 2002 Z28. It sees a road course a couple times a year, and Iím slowly making both it and myself more competent at that task.

JakeRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post
Hi Charlie!

How do you feel about the sixth-gen Camaro? Or the fifth-gen Z/28?

I’ve had a bit of on-track behind the wheel time with a ‘16 2SS 8A. It’s still too heavy, but it is heading in the right direction for sure (300 lbs off the 5th gen!), and the driving dynamics are brilliant.

I’m still daily driving my 2002 Z28. It sees a road course a couple times a year, and I’m slowly making both it and myself more competent at that task.

It's safe to say that the 5th gen Z/28 exceeded expectations in focus, performance.....and cost.

The 6th gen is dynamically brilliant. One of the best performance cars GM has ever produced. With an LT1 and six speed it's a monster.

However, GM Design really dropped the ball on it's styling direction and execution, it gets very pricey very quickly and has no better utility than a Porsche 911. Those things have really hurt it in sales and GM knows it.

Last edited by Z284ever; 09-25-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
However, GM Design really dropped the ball on it's styling direction and execution, it gets very pricey very quickly and has no better utility than a Porsche 911. Those things have really hurt it in sales and GM knows it.
Iíve spent time in the back seat of that same sixth gen, as well as in a 2005 911. The Camaro is tight, but the 911 is ridiculous.

Agree on price; disagree on styling. I liked the fifth gens, but next to a sixth gen they just donít measure up IMO. Subtle improvements that make a huge difference.
JakeRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #7

I remember when this very board was so hopping, I could barely keep up with the new posts. This was probably from 02-06 timeframe...I'd check it multiple times every day. I don't really know where the best place for info is now, but I know its not here anymore

I'll always be grateful for this site...if it wasn't for it, I never would've made it to NAIAS 2006, which still ranks as the best automotive experience of my life. No, I never bought a 5th gen, nor will I...but the 6th gen is oh so close to being epic...its just too damned expensive. For now, while I pay off my CTS-V for the remaining 3 years (a car that's so epic in its own right, I never thought I'd own something so amazing), my daily drivers are old school GM, from the era of the heyday of cz28.com...a 2006 Grand Prix GXP and a 99 Trans Am WS6.

Old habits die hard with me...can't wait to see how out of date my signature is when I post this lol. Last time I logged in was 2 years ago, apparently....
Jason E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason E View Post
I remember when this very board was so hopping, I could barely keep up with the new posts. This was probably from 02-06 timeframe...I'd check it multiple times every day. I don't really know where the best place for info is now, but I know its not here anymore

I'll always be grateful for this site...if it wasn't for it, I never would've made it to NAIAS 2006, which still ranks as the best automotive experience of my life. No, I never bought a 5th gen, nor will I...but the 6th gen is oh so close to being epic...its just too damned expensive. For now, while I pay off my CTS-V for the remaining 3 years (a car that's so epic in its own right, I never thought I'd own something so amazing), my daily drivers are old school GM, from the era of the heyday of cz28.com...a 2006 Grand Prix GXP and a 99 Trans Am WS6.

Old habits die hard with me...can't wait to see how out of date my signature is when I post this lol. Last time I logged in was 2 years ago, apparently....
Same here Jason on all counts. NAIAS 2006 was amazing for a lot of reasons. Best of all was meeting people in the flesh which I only knew as internet friends until then. The night before the reveal in the hotel bar was epic. I think a few of us had a headache when we boarded the bus to Cobo the next morning at the crack of dawn.