CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Guess what's going to be the 2nd Fastest Chevy next year. (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/guess-whats-going-2nd-fastest-chevy-next-year-33637/)

R377 10-10-2002 05:58 PM

Cadillac is expected to show a "super luxury" sedan at this year's NAIAS. Something like a Maybach-lite, and it could be the replacement for the DeVille.

lightning2000 10-10-2002 06:20 PM

:rolleyes: Oooh! Another fast family car! "WAKE UP CHEVY"!

guionM 10-10-2002 06:43 PM

Originally posted by lightning2000
:rolleyes: Oooh! Another fast family car! "WAKE UP CHEVY"!
There was a recent story (I forgot where I read it or I'd retrieve it & post it here) where a GM executive went into detail about GM's reasoning for what they were doing & it made perfect sense.

Basically GM is focusing alot of attention on the big money makers, such as trucks and their luxury cars, and is slowly branching out from there. The quote I remember was something to the effect of 'those trucks and luxury cars will be paying for better affordable cars' (Cavaliers was the example used).

Not what I'd want to hear, but I have to say it does sound reasonable.

96Z28man 10-14-2002 07:56 AM

is it just me or do I think that it sounds stupid to make the malibu that powerful. Why is GM wasting its time on a car like that?? Are American rice burners gonna be the new thing now?? Man, maybe i'll just by an evo VIII. That would make me cool.

Camaro 4-Ever

Eric77TA 10-14-2002 09:26 AM

Originally posted by 96Z28man
is it just me or do I think that it sounds stupid to make the malibu that powerful. Why is GM wasting its time on a car like that?? Are American rice burners gonna be the new thing now?? Man, maybe i'll just by an evo VIII. That would make me cool.

Camaro 4-Ever

Accord: 240 Horsepower
Altima: 240 Horsepower
Camry: 196 Horsepower (and if it ain't at least 240 in a year or so I'll eat my hat)
Malibu: 170 Horsepower

So no, it doesn't sound stupid to make the Malibu that powerful. It sounds like it's necessary in order to not have it 60 horsepower down on everything else in its class. How the heck will the Malibu be a riceburner by getting 240 horses? The Altima isn't a ricer unless someone makes it one. A 240 horse Malibu will be a "ricer" but an Evolution VIII isn't? That's some bizarre logic.

305fan 10-14-2002 10:36 AM

How can a rice burner be american??:confused:

I think the 240hp isn't going to happen, not next year anyways, Unless they use the new "high value"
V6- if they use a 3400, 190hp is more likely

SNEAKY NEIL 10-14-2002 11:01 AM

Originally posted by 305fan
How can a rice burner be american??:confused:

I think the 240hp isn't going to happen, not next year anyways, Unless they use the new "high value"
V6- if they use a 3400, 190hp is more likely

It is supposed to use the new "high-Value" V6, so the hp levels should be close to the 240 figure.