Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GTO's nose to be toned down...

Old 11-19-2002, 02:05 AM

GTO's nose to be toned down...

Maybe Pontiac has been listening to all the people complaining about the GP like front end and are doing something about it ...

http://drive.com.au/news/article.asp...X1ZZVNO8D.html
Old 11-19-2002, 03:27 AM

I wonder. I for 1 doubt I'll be impressed but you just gotta see I guess.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:10 AM

The "sleeker" show cars have special paint schemes. One is believed to be a ruby red similar to that used on previous Pontiac concepts, while both cars have the Federal 260kW 5.7-litre V8 engine.
What does 260KW mean in Real power?
Old 11-19-2002, 07:22 AM

isnt 260kw that 350hp everyone is talking about in the media, hope its more though, or at least an underrated 350RWHP.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:29 AM

What the heck does '****-a-hoop' mean?!?!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:55 AM

LOL! you know i was wondering the same thing when i read it !! its not aussie slang :dunno:

maybe its these fancy newspapers writers ?
Old 11-19-2002, 08:54 AM

Re: GTO's nose to be toned down...

Originally posted by Ude-lose
Maybe Pontiac has been listening to all the people complaining about the GP like front end and are doing something about it ...
Yeah, but by toning it down more? The critics have been saying it's too ho-hum already.

I'm inferring "sleeker" to mean closer to the original, Monaro-shaped front end.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:28 AM

Re: Re: GTO's nose to be toned down...

Originally posted by jrp4uc
Yeah, but by toning it down more? The critics have been saying it's too ho-hum already.

I'm inferring "sleeker" to mean closer to the original, Monaro-shaped front end.
By toning down I think they mean that the front fascia (bumper specifically) will not bulge out as much as it does in the drawing.

I'm game for that. I don't like oversize bumpers anyway, they only increase car length without any benefits. Even visually it creates these massive overhangs (think f-body).
Old 11-19-2002, 01:12 PM

i think they should leave the monaro alone.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: GTO's nose to be toned down...

Originally posted by muckz
By toning down I think they mean that the front fascia (bumper specifically) will not bulge out as much as it does in the drawing.

I'm game for that. I don't like oversize bumpers anyway, they only increase car length without any benefits. Even visually it creates these massive overhangs (think f-body).
Ok, if that's the case I'm all for it. I hated the oversized bumper on my Firebird. Was bad enough half the engine was under the dash, and having an extra 3 ft of nose to lean over wasn't making things better.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Ude-lose
isnt 260kw that 350hp everyone is talking about in the media, hope its more though, or at least an underrated 350RWHP.
There are approximately 750 watts in a horsepower, so multiply your 260kW by 1-1/3 and you get 345 HP.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:34 PM

isnt the F-body 345hp ?? IMHO the GTO needs more if its to equal or better the f-body,

remember the f-body has solid axle which gives a better launch, and is a bit lighter.

that being said, the new VY series holdens have concentrated on weight savings that have skimmed about 45-60kg from the commodore, new lightweight dash materials as well as other things, which the V2 monaro and gto will share.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:10 PM

great!!the new GTO will be in the XXX sequel.aston martin gets james bond,ford and porsche get steve mcqueen and pontiac gets some bald fur-coat wearing,bad-acting buffoon.this will go great with the redneck bootlegging cowboy image burt reynolds has given the trans am.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Derek Smalls
great!!the new GTO will be in the XXX sequel.aston martin gets james bond,ford and porsche get steve mcqueen and pontiac gets some bald fur-coat wearing,bad-acting buffoon.this will go great with the redneck bootlegging cowboy image burt reynolds has given the trans am.
if it was up to me ... i would have it star in the next Mad Max movie if they ever where to make it.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Derek Smalls
Maybe you haven't noticed that Vin Diesel is pretty popular these days, whatever you may think about his acting skills. I think it's a good way to get young people interested in Pontiac. If you remember, Smokey & The Bandit sold a ton of T/A's in the late 70's, and quite frankly anything that old looks cheesy today. Wonder if anyone under age 25 knows who Steve McQueen is? And speaking of cheesy, James Bond is cool of course but was that an Aston doing barrel-rolls in the air in the new movie's trailer?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GTO's nose to be toned down...