Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GTO Judge

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 10:20 AM

Talking GTO Judge

I have it from a couple of my best sources that we WILL see an uplevel GTO. Add to that the fact that SLP just tradmarked the Judge name, and there you have it........ Either SLP is developing a Judge, or GM and SLP are co-developing a Judge.

Within GM the Judge name is being used to decribe the uplevel GTO. But if SLP is doing something on their own, I guess it'll be called something else.

Also, according to these same sources. The C6 Z06 will get a 6.0L version of the Gen IV Aluminum block and will peg at least 450hp. While the GTO uplevel will get this same motor. It'll be more truck based.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:29 AM

What's the point of forming GMPD if they're going to go to SLP to have projects like this done?
Old 11-21-2002, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

No kidding, I hate SLP. GM needs to do more of this stuff itself.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:40 AM

Let me guess how this could play out.

-Slp comes out with a "Judge" package for the GTO. It will have several thousand dollars worth of ginger bread and be called "GTO JUDGE"

-GM says it sould not be called "GTO Judge".....but simply Pontiac Judge.

-As the Pontiac GTO gets neglected....Pontiac calls the Judge, "the ultimate Pontiac".

-The "ultimate" Judge's average out the door price goes to $45K...and those who really wanted a "GTO" don't want it anymore because GM has neglected it (to promote the JUDGE)and it is no longer desirable.

-GTO and "Judge" go on "hiatus".
Old 11-21-2002, 10:50 AM

And if GM really wanted to get technical on Judge heritage, the model they would use it on would be a stripped down, cheaper GTO.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
Let me guess how this could play out.

-Slp comes out with a "Judge" package for the GTO. It will have several thousand dollars worth of ginger bread and be called "GTO JUDGE"

-GM says it sould not be called "GTO Judge".....but simply Pontiac Judge.

-As the Pontiac GTO gets neglected....Pontiac calls the Judge, "the ultimate Pontiac".

-The "ultimate" Judge's average out the door price goes to $45K...and those who really wanted a "GTO" don't want it anymore because GM has neglected it (to promote the JUDGE)and it is no longer desirable.

-GTO and "Judge" go on "hiatus".
Why not? This great marketing plan worked for Camaro.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:38 AM

Personally I think that would be pretty bad *ss, even though I don't think it would sell. How many people in the market for a 45K$ car would go for something like an up-scale GTO? I for one would rather just spend 5K more and get the Corvette, and most other people would just get an SUV.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:09 PM
Prominent Member

I'd guess....

...that SLP is doing something on thier own.......with Pontiac using the GXP moniker I'd guess that Pontiac will do a GTOXP...EIEIO or something like that, and not use the Judge moniker...leaving for SLP's badge / hood and floormat treatment.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:15 PM

i just wish they would send the thing here.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Meccadeth
Personally I think that would be pretty bad *ss, even though I don't think it would sell. How many people in the market for a 45K$ car would go for something like an up-scale GTO? I for one would rather just spend 5K more and get the Corvette, and most other people would just get an SUV.
Look how many people paid $35,000+ for a $25,000 Z28 just to get a special hood, and maybe $2,000 worth of performance parts and badges that only marginally increased performance or handling.

What was that P.T. Barnum once said?

Last edited by guionM; 11-21-2002 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by guionM
Look how many people paid $35,000+ for a $25,000 Z28 just to get a special hood, and maybe $2,000 worth of performance parts and badges that only marginally increased performance or handling.

What was that P.T. Barnum once said?
But $35K is in a different ballpark than $45K. Working class and lower-middle class people can afford $35K, this is where I think the GTO should be targetted. Upper-middle class people are looking for more style when in the market for a sports car. So if they look at a new Corvette next to an up-scale GTO, they would choose the Vette... unless their enthusiasts, in which case GM would sell Judges in the hundreds...
GTO Judge for $35K on the other hand...

Last edited by Meccadeth; 11-21-2002 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Meccadeth
Upper-middle class people are looking for more style when in the market for a sports car. So if they look at a new Corvette next to an up-scale GTO, they would choose the Vette...
It's never that cut & dry. Vette & GTO seem to me to be in completely different markets. It's hardly a "this OR that" choice. I can see someone wanting to own both, for very different reasons.

Judge - This is a great name for a car sub-model. I personally like its implied authority. The problem arises when people get curious and try to research where the name came from. Will anyone today really care about that old show? I doubt it.

Pete McCarthy verfied NO Judge for 04. Maybe 05, but I still *really* doubt it. SLP aftermarket, maybe. That doesn't count as far as I'm concerned.

GT
Old 11-21-2002, 04:14 PM

Not again, not SLP again. :doh: GM, lets not have this overpriced, not worth the cost, SS BS again. You can't add the extra power and change the appearance yourselves?? Come on now, really.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:32 PM

Re: I'd guess....

Originally posted by Doug Harden, Pres CICC
...that SLP is doing something on thier own.......with Pontiac using the GXP moniker I'd guess that Pontiac will do a GTOXP...EIEIO or something like that, and not use the Judge moniker...leaving for SLP's badge / hood and floormat treatment.
And hopefully Pontiac can come up with something better than this "XP" moniker--GTO GXP or GTOXP doesn't sound good to me. Sounds like a Microsoft product , not a classic muscle car reborn. There have got to be some hardcore GTO enthusiasts on here that can come up with something more relevant than XP (or Judge if that is infact going to SLP) to signify a special, high performance model...something with the same type of flare as Z06.

Last edited by jrp4uc; 11-21-2002 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:06 PM

They're only bringing 18,000 of them over. Just let GMPD put LS6 heads on them all, say 375 hp, and call it a day. I agree with jrp4uc, let the damn division get some recoginition and let SLP play with damn Ford trucks.

Quick Reply: GTO Judge