CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   GM supports anti-Tesla bill in MI, Snyder signs into law (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/gm-supports-anti-tesla-bill-mi-snyder-signs-into-law-881008/)

jcamere94z28 10-21-2014 02:45 PM

GM supports anti-Tesla bill in MI, Snyder signs into law

Michigan Governor Signs GM-Backed Anti-Tesla Bill Into Law - Road & Track

As a GM kinda guy... this stuff rubs me the wrong way. Why even "encourage" the Governor to sign it?

What is GM scared about? after all this is a small automaker. Instead of finding ways to put speed bumps on Tesla's way... why don't you use that same energy to change things around for the better.

:think:

I can't say that I will stop buying GM.. cause damn it I love Corvette's and Camaro's and the CTS family but if I could afford it a Tesla would be my daily driver.

ws6transam 10-22-2014 07:11 PM

Re: GM supports anti-Tesla bill in MI, Snyder signs into law

GM likely supports the bill because they have a business model built on the concept of dealerships, and if Tesla manages to erode that business model, then it's difficult for GM to predict future market trends, and the whole paradigm of how you market and sell cars changes. Makes business less predictable, and makes making a profit less predictable. It makes sense that the other manufacturers would back the laws as they stand.

mdenz3 10-24-2014 12:00 AM

GM fought the same law in TX, but who wants facts in their sensationalism.

AnthonyHSV 05-26-2015 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28 (Post 6969541)
Michigan Governor Signs GM-Backed Anti-Tesla Bill Into Law - Road & Track

As a GM kinda guy... this stuff rubs me the wrong way. Why even "encourage" the Governor to sign it?

What is GM scared about? after all this is a small automaker. Instead of finding ways to put speed bumps on Tesla's way... why don't you use that same energy to change things around for the better.

:think:

I can't say that I will stop buying GM.. cause damn it I love Corvette's and Camaro's and the CTS family but if I could afford it a Tesla would be my daily driver.

Looks like GM doesn't like competition

GaryDoug 05-27-2015 08:57 PM

Doesn't matter because it's only in effect in Michigan, which is fast becoming a ghost state thanks to GM et al.

King Moose SS 06-02-2015 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug (Post 6977102)
Doesn't matter because it's only in effect in Michigan, which is fast becoming a ghost state thanks to GM et al.

It's amazing they spent all that money lobbying to keep Tesla out... but they don't lobby to get car insurance cheaper in this state which is a big reason why people don't buy new cars in Michigan.

Injuneer 06-03-2015 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by AnthonyHSV (Post 6977069)
Looks like GM doesn't like competition

This isn't about "competition"... it's about keeping their franchised dealers happy.

Not sure why everyone is supportive of a dealer franchise system that encourages dealers to maximize their efforts to screw buyers and make the buying experience as painful and unpleasant as possible. I'm losing my "company" car with my retirement, and I hate the thought of even walking onto a dealer lot to look at the cars I want to choose from.

Last car I bought, for my wife, I used a broker, to avoid all the hassle. Paid the broker a nominal fee to do the dirty work. But even then, signing off on the paperwork with the dealer involved multiple individuals trying to maximize their profit with upsells on total crap.

King Moose SS 06-05-2015 01:17 PM

Yup dealer system is 100 years out of date and it's showing. But it seems none of the big automakers are even remotely interested in creating another way. Which is there loss, I have no statistical evidence, but I positive there is a good market of buyers who would like to be in and out in 15-30min. Buy Vehicle, Register, Insurance, and be on there merry way. Not 8 hrs of haggling, additional warranties, additional coverages, pulling hair, paint protection, tire protection, ect.

mdenz3 07-12-2015 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS (Post 6977446)
Yup dealer system is 100 years out of date and it's showing. But it seems none of the big automakers are even remotely interested in creating another way. Which is there loss, I have no statistical evidence, but I positive there is a good market of buyers who would like to be in and out in 15-30min. Buy Vehicle, Register, Insurance, and be on there merry way. Not 8 hrs of haggling, additional warranties, additional coverages, pulling hair, paint protection, tire protection, ect.

Ford and GM have both tried to get around dealers:

Ford and GM tried ditching dealers | TeslaMondo

Forcing Tesla to go through the same fiery hopes they do is just keeping the playing field level.

King Moose SS 10-28-2015 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by mdenz3 (Post 6978721)

Forcing Tesla to go through the same fiery hopes they do is just keeping the playing field level.

Interesting read. Wish both Ford and GM would have done more. But alas they always seem to buckle in these situations.

Musk would kill Tesla before ever going the dealer route. He knows the damage the dealer system is doing to the current car buying process.

SCNGENNFTHGEN 08-20-2018 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mdenz3 (Post 6978721)

I will enjoy watching this company fold after listening to musk talk about Nikola. He said Edison was someone to look up to but Tesla wasn't. What a POS. So Tesla wanted to bring US Free, clean energy, but was destroyed by our Nazi government, Morgan and Edison. So they could string copper lines across the globe and sell US energy...I hope this POS loses his shirt. That he used Tesla's name to do the same, is a disgusting tragedy...He needs to go back to whatever country he came from because we don't need more swamp creatures he we have enough...

SCNGENNFTHGEN 08-20-2018 12:45 PM

They screwed US ALL the moment they put a computer into our cars...but even b4 mandating side marker lights. The Fed has no business in the car business, we have enough sheisters selling cars @ stealerships around the country, we sure as hell don't need them dictating what kind of cars we can build, buy and own. They should be mandating federal ***er ID laws, and get hell out of our cars...