CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Ford Boss will be OHV? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/ford-boss-will-ohv-550097/)

SSbaby 10-26-2007 05:34 PM

Ford Boss will be OHV?

Originally Posted by Fourcam330
Confirmed, OHV, not OHC.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...352984&page=28

Maybe Ford have finally seen the light! :bow:

skorpion317 10-26-2007 05:37 PM

About time.

My Red 93Z-28 10-26-2007 05:49 PM

Will this use the same Boss 302 blocks currently being made? Those are Cam-in-block.

mastrdrver 10-26-2007 07:06 PM

The Boss engines are OHV and there will be a 6.4 along with the 6.2/5.8. The motor in the Roush/Bowles car is in fact a Boss variant with inline (not canted) valves.
I guess there is talk about VVT too and that some variant is used in some Roush/Bowles car.

DAyers 10-26-2007 07:34 PM

Isn't that going backwards? OHV!!! What's next? A high-performance flathead???? (LOL)

bossco 10-26-2007 09:33 PM

To bad, an OHC 2v engine would have been mighty nice, they just needed the cubes to compete.

The Bowles car still doesn't strike me as an OHV engine though, alot of distance between the front intake ports and the edge of the heads as well as the water pump sticking way up in the "V" of the engine.

DAKMOR 10-27-2007 12:09 AM

Hm, an SIBC Ford, very, 'retro', hah.

They should do a DIBC hemi 4v engine just for kicks and giggles.

That's right, I'm making up new acronyms.

bossco 10-27-2007 12:38 AM

Probably will, better get a copy write on the DIBC befoe Chrysler nabs it (seeing as how they have that new camshaft in the Viper motor)

DAKMOR 10-27-2007 01:23 AM

nah, they're just shortened acronyms, not really trademark material seeign as they are a general description of something that anyone could say without knowing it, kinda like VTEC, but in its true form, VVTAELC.

SIBC-single in block camshaft, i got 2 guys on another board wondering what the hell it is,
DIBC-double in block camshaft, though, if you added complexity like "palms" (1 rocker arm for 2 valves or more, ala maserti) you might only have to have 1 camshaft for a 4valve per cylinder engine. Take note GM!!

mdenz3 10-27-2007 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by bossco (Post 4952251)
Probably will, better get a copy write on the DIBC befoe Chrysler nabs it (seeing as how they have that new camshaft in the Viper motor)

Doesn't GM have a patent on a dual cam in block design?

SSbaby 10-27-2007 08:12 AM

Wait, there's more...

Originally Posted by Fourcam330

Originally Posted by FBMphil

Fourcam, are you sure you're not talking about a totally different engine?

I've been told just how physically large the Boss engine is, and that it will debut as SOHC then a DOHC engine with twin independent variable cam timing...

There's a revised "Modular" on the way that will have more displacement and retain the OHC valvetrain, but the Boss engines (as seen in the Bowles/Roush car) are pushrods.
__

So there will be the big pot OHVs and most likely a 'Cammer' of around 5.xL capacity (I'm guessing). So the chardonnay sippers (i.e. lovers of the DOHC) could keep raising their wine glasses... :lol:

Z284ever 10-27-2007 08:22 AM

Right now, Boss/Hurricane are intended for trucks only. A new gen of Mod motors will go in Mustang.

Way different than what we thought 6-12 months ago, when it was believed that Boss/Hurricane would replace the Mods completely. That's not the case anymore.

Z284ever 10-27-2007 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby (Post 4952501)
Wait, there's more...

So there will be the big pot OHVs and most likely a 'Cammer' of around 5.xL capacity (I'm guessing). So the chardonnay sippers (i.e. lovers of the DOHC) could keep raising their wine glasses... :lol:

It looks like Ford has every intention of tapping into the whole 5.0 and 302 mystique. And as I posted somewhere else, it looks like a new (as in Mod motor) BOSS 302 is coming - this time with DOHC, VVT, GDI and turbos.

RussStang 10-27-2007 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever (Post 4952508)
Right now, Boss/Hurricane are intended for trucks only. A new gen of Mod motors will go in Mustang.

Way different than what we thought 6-12 months ago, when it was believed that Boss/Hurricane would replace the Mods completely. That's not the case anymore.

This is very interesting news. However, won't this keep the cost of their engines more prohibitive over GMs? Without sharing the truck motor's architecture, doesn't the Mustang stand to lose some of the cost savings they otherwise might have enjoyed over the larger product line? This seems like it will keep the Mustang power levels lower then the competition in the long run, unless I am missing something.

91_z28_4me 10-27-2007 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever (Post 4952508)

So then the BOSS/Hurricane motors are just truck engines? Maybe an extension of the engine lineup (like 5.4 Mod-> 5.8 Boss->6.4 Boss)?