Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Next Generation Mustang to Adopt EcoBoost for Efficiency, Ditch Solid Rear Axle

Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 PM

Lightbulb Next Generation Mustang to Adopt EcoBoost for Efficiency, Ditch Solid Rear Axle

I hope all of these changes don't make my 2013 vehicle totally obsolete!

DailyTech - Next Generation Mustang to Adopt EcoBoost for Efficiency, Ditch Solid Rear Axle

Big changes are in store for Ford's iconic pony car

Ford's iconic Mustang is in for some big changes when it launches in 2014 as a 2015 model year vehicle. Not only will there be big changes under the hood of the Mustang, but the car's retro styling will be tossed aside as will the solid rear axle that has graced standard-issue Mustang's since 1964.

I. EcoBoost to the Rescue
Automotive News reports that Ford executives have confirmed the adoption of EcoBoost engines for the next generation Mustang. Ford has committed to making EcoBoost available to 90 percent of its nameplates by 2013, and adding in the Mustang will take that figure closer to 100 percent.

Although Automotive News doesn't give any specifics on which engines will be available, two immediately spring to mind: the 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder and the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6. The 2.0 is good for 240 - 252hp (depending on the state tune) in the Explorer, Escape, and Focus ST. If Hyundai can get 274hp out of its 2.0-liter turbo four for its FWD family sedan (while running regular unleaded), Ford can certainly hit 300hp in the Mustang. This would bring it more in line with the 305hp, 3.7-liter V6 currently available in the base Mustang while providing better fuel economy.

You can thank CAFE for even the thought of bringing back a four-cylinder engine option to the Mustang (hello, SVO).

Things could get more interesting if Ford chooses to add in the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6. That engine is rated at 365hp in the Taurus SHO and with some massaging could dance quite close to the 400+ hp currently available in the 5.0-liter V8.

One thing's for certain, however, the Mustang's V8 option isn't likely to go away anytime soon. A Mustang without a V8 option is like a Viper without a V10. Besides, the 5.0 is a gem of a motor.

II. Miss Mr. Independent
The next change in store for the Mustang is the adoption of an independent rear suspension (IRS) across the board. Ford last toyed with an IRS for the Mustang with the fourth generation Cobra. That experiment didn't last long, however, and the fifth generation Mustang went back to being solid rear axle only. Ford CEO Alan Mulally is hoping to make the next generation Mustang more of a "world" car that can appeal equally to Americans and Europeans, and the Mustang's "ox cart" rear suspension has always been the butt of jokes.

The Mustang's pony car brethren (Camaro, Challenger) have moved to an independent rear suspension following their respective resurrections from the dead. Switching to an IRS hasn't hurt Camaro sales, which have outpaced Mustang sales for the past two years, so we doubt that Ford will lose any sleep over what naysayers might think about the switch (Ford is already testing mules with an IRS).

III. Out with the Retro, in with “Kinetic”
Another big change for the Mustang will come in its styling direction. When the fifth generation car was introduced in 2004 as a 2005 model, it was decidedly retro, harking back to the original 1964.5 model.

However, the sixth generation Mustang will reportedly take some styling cues from the Evos concept car. If you recall, the Evos was a precursor to the design direction for the 2013 Ford Fusion. While the Mustang won't be a carbon copy of Evos (or the Fusion for the matter), we can expect to see final design that will be look more towards the future than to the past.

Ford’s sixth generation Mustang will bring big changes on many fronts. New engines will keep it in step with more stringent fuel economy standards while the IRS will bring it in line with every other modern performance car with regards to ride/handling. Rest assured, if Ford screws the pooch with the Mustang, there will be legions of fans with pitchforks storming Dearborn, Michigan.

Source: Automotive News
Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM

Re: Next Generation Mustang to Adopt EcoBoost for Efficiency, Ditch Solid Rear Axle

Uh oh, there are going to be many Mustang guys who are (axle) hopping mad about the switch to IRS!

As far as "screwing the pooch" on the Mustang, Ford hasn't done anything like that since maybe Mustang II so I wouldn't worry much if I was a Mustang guy.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:39 PM

Re: Next Generation Mustang to Adopt EcoBoost for Efficiency, Ditch Solid Rear Axle

It's Ironic that GM has a Turbo-4 and 3.0 TT V6 headed to the ATS... It's almost as if GM had already thought ahead instead of playing catch up.

Also... I'm not sure how I feel about the IRS. I don't understand the current obsession with it by automotive journalists. Solid rear is just fine for the mustang demographic who race. (90% of which is at the drag strip, not a road course)
Old 08-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Also... I'm not sure how I feel about the IRS. I don't understand the current obsession with it by automotive journalists. Solid rear is just fine for the mustang demographic who race. (90% of which is at the drag strip, not a road course)
Well, it also helps with ride comfort and on-road handling, which affects an even larger demographic than the drag racing group.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:18 PM

They may as well just call it Probe II. Just as the Taurus fans were upset about the 500, the Mustang fans will more than likely scream bloody murder and force Ford to reverse their direction.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 AM

Eh, the Probe was a Japanese-designed FWD econobox/swoop. This is American-designed, RWD, not-quite-an-econobox/swoop. If it has a V8 option, some obvious Mustang styling cues, and loses some tonnage, I'm good with it. Don't care for the IRS, but I am in a definate minority on that one.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:54 PM

Wonder how much moaning there will be when the GT is standard with a V6 turbo? Saying the V8 won't disappear from the lineup isn't all that reassuring since that means you will probably be getting one in a Boss (or equivalent) and up, unless they make it an "optional" engine on the GT. But when was the last time Mustang had optional engines within a trim rather than simply various trims with different engines?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Wonder how much moaning there will be when the GT is standard with a V6 turbo? Saying the V8 won't disappear from the lineup isn't all that reassuring since that means you will probably be getting one in a Boss (or equivalent) and up, unless they make it an "optional" engine on the GT. But when was the last time Mustang had optional engines within a trim rather than simply various trims with different engines?
You'd think they'd call it SVO before they'd call it GT. I think GT always has to be V8. I resurrected SVO would be pretty neat.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM

A Turbo 4 was an option on the 1983 and 1984 GT.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:01 AM

I know some people would go nuts, but as long as the performance is there, I'm not sure that I would care. My 95 GT had a no-***** 215 hp 5.0 V8, so given the option between that and the Ecoboost 6, I know which one I would take. Look at the Aussies, it seems like they actually prefer their FI I6s over V8s.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by the pool boy
My 95 GT had a no-***** 215 hp 5.0 V8, so given the option between that and the Ecoboost 6, I know which one I would take.
Well sure. But comparing apples to apples, I am pretty convinced the next Ford 5.0 V8 will not drop back down to 215 HP.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by the pool boy
...My 95 GT had a no-***** 215 hp 5.0 V8...
That's why I called those mid 90's Mustangs "geldings".
Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
You'd think they'd call it SVO before they'd call it GT. I think GT always has to be V8. I resurrected SVO would be pretty neat.
SVO was a Turbo-4 back in the day, I suppose they could call the V6 turbo that and reserve the GT trim for V8... that means the GT is not really an "affordable" performance car any longer, since it would need to be positioned higher up the price ladder.

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
A Turbo 4 was an option on the 1983 and 1984 GT.
Yeah I knew it was 25+ years ago, but not specifically what year.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by TomcatMF
That's why I called those mid 90's Mustangs "geldings".
Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM

My grandmother had a Mustang II with a 4-cylinder and automatic. I took my drivers' test in it because I was afraid of stalling my mom's car (a Datsun 310GX with a stick... stalling was an automatic failure). Damn near got in an accident because the thing had less acceleration than a tortoise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Generation Mustang to Adopt EcoBoost for Efficiency, Ditch Solid Rear Axle