Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Caprice likely to be sold to the Public

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM

Caprice likely to be sold to the Public

Chevrolet’s fleet-only Caprice will likely be sold to the General Public after a tide of interest forced General Motors to re-consider their plans to restrict sales to fleets.

The Caprice is essentially a stretched version of the Pontiac G8, a rear-drive, V8 powered large sedan based off the much-lauded, Australian market Holden Commodore. The G8 was beloved by enthusiasts but tepidly received by the public. The G8 lasted only two model years before the Pontiac brand was killed by General Motors.

According to a report from Carenvy.ca, a “very reliable source” confirmed that the car will be sold in dealerships, but gave no details as to trim levels or how the vehicle would be positioned. After contact Car Envy’s Peter Dushenski, we’re inclined to believe the information as true. The new Caprice nameplate has a ton of cachet among a few demographics, as boomers remember the car from their youth, and young people associate the car with hip-hop music, lowriders and “donks”. The prospect of a Corvette derived small-block V8 is also enticing.

General Motors also revealed their first pictures of the “Detective Package” Caprice, which should give some major clues as to how the civilian version will look if it comes to market. A Caprice sold to the public will likely have an upgraded interior compared to the G8 and the workhorse versions, and don’t be surprised to see a V6 version as well.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...he-public.html
Old 07-13-2010, 06:53 PM

I was on the bandwagon for "bring it." However, the more I see the car, the more boring and dated it looks.

It looks much cooler as a police car.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 PM

yeah even here it looks like an uglier malibu. which sounds about right for any non-police police vehicle.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:23 PM

It is pretty amazing how the flat hood and Chevy grille really bland-ify the car compared to the G8.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 PM

What about this?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 PM

I don't think Chevy would leave the Caprice that bland if sold to the public.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:10 PM

Have you seen the Impala?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:30 AM
slt

Yeah, not a fan. Looks like GM of old.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:00 AM

For whatever reason it reminds me faintly of a Lincoln LS...which I never really liked.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:26 AM

It seemed like lots of people said this should be sold to the public and how GM would be silly not to make the G8 a chevy and continue selling it in the US... now it looks like they'll do it and people reply with "ehhh, whatever". I think I understand now why enthusiasts are often ignored by marketing departments.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
It seemed like lots of people said this should be sold to the public and how GM would be silly not to make the G8 a chevy and continue selling it in the US... now it looks like they'll do it and people reply with "ehhh, whatever". I think I understand now why enthusiasts are often ignored by marketing departments.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 07-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Cool, I'll think about buying one someday.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
I get what you're saying, but the G8 looks so much more aggressive than the black sedan in the original post. I would assume Chevy would put a little more into the bodywork than that (the current North American Chevy grill scheme, for starters).
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM

If the reason for the flat response is solely due to the bland looking black car above, then it's based off of the questionable assumption that the version sold to the public would look JUST LIKE that car. Even the author of the article said that the picture could just offer clues as to how the version sold to the general public would look.

Personally, I'd expect it to look more like the version that Mustangeater82 posted, which is pretty nice. I thought the G8 was a little overdone for a sedan and the red one is spot-on aside from the high spoiler, but I admit the G8's look has grown on me over time.

Quick Reply: Caprice likely to be sold to the Public