Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Camaro Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Re: Camaro Z/28

Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
No A/C and 1-speaker sound system (no stereo!) save only 10s of pounds on a car that's 100s overweight. Kinda pointless if you ask me. Might as well leave them in and have the car weigh ~3825 lb. instead of ~3775 lb (guessing). Serious trackhounds can always remove them for the couple/few hundredths of a second improvement in lap times!
The way you save 300 lbs is by taking 10 lbs off 30 things, not 300 lbs off one thing. 10 lbs is huge in the mass game on a car. Where else are you going to get that kind of mass savings?

The guys at Toyota stopped tracking kilograms a long time ago. Now they track grams.

-Geoff
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
The way you save 300 lbs is by taking 10 lbs off 30 things, not 300 lbs off one thing. 10 lbs is huge in the mass game on a car. Where else are you going to get that kind of mass savings?
They only took off 100 lb. vs. the SS/1LE, which is a more reasonable comparison point than the supercharged ZL1.

Serious track guys can remove the A/C and stereo. Most buyers would want them for a street car. I have A/C and stereo with amps and sub in my 2830 lb. LS2/L92 RX-7, and I take weight *very* seriously!

The guys at Toyota stopped tracking kilograms a long time ago. Now they track grams.
The point is, they are removing features that are pretty important to the vast majority of people buying a $60k+ car, for maybe a 1-2% weight savings vs. the SS/1LE.

IMO, it's a bit of a gimmick. You can't really add light weight to this car. It's a porker with the A/C and stereo, and it is hardly any less of a porker without them.

Last edited by Dan Baldwin; 03-28-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
The point is, they are removing features that are pretty important to the vast majority of people buying a $60k+ car, for maybe a 1-2% weight savings vs. the SS/1LE.
Good point, enough people complained about the lack of infotainment features in the Boss and Ford added them back in .

IMO, it's a bit of a gimmick. You can't really add light weight to this car. It's a porker with the A/C and stereo, and it is hardly any less of a porker without them.
Hah the Z/28 is light by German standards

Which reminds me, I would love to see Evo magazines take on the Z/28, hopefully they will snag one and do a comparison against their reference car the M3.

I suspect that it would go something like; "blah blah blah M3 was significantly better in all areas".
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
This Z/28 has returned to it's roots as a street legal race car. No A/C, no trunk lining, weight pulled off the car both by deletions and lighter materials (which costs money).

Also, like the original Z/28, this one is going to be the most expensive Camaro you can buy.

If you're looking at the Z/28 through the prism of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gen Z/28, this is NOT your car..... the SS is.

Also, if the ZL1 is too expensive for you, you certainly won't be able to afford this.

The Camaro SS-1LE would likely be your car.

The new Z28 is a 100% street legal race car.
Wow. Very surprising. I wish GM would just make a LS7 option on a SS. As some have already said, we were expecting GM to make a SS/1LE LS7 and then slap a Z/28 badge on it. Not a deafening, back breaking track car with 1 speakers and no A/C. But yes, if we are ditching the 4th gen roots of a Z28, and going back to the 1st gen, this is the car. I think it's pretty cool, however this car is out of my price range, but it does make the ZL1 look like a bargain.

Last edited by King Moose SS; 03-29-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
but it does make the ZL1 look like a bargain.
It does, especially in the realm of a street car and the street car things people do.

Hell I felt the ZL1 was "the" pony car bargain. Comprehensively equipped with few options, its natural competitor trimmed out with the same level of equipment was easily 7k more and lacked the sweet magneto suspension.

Still though as good as the ZL1 is just doesn't have the allure of an LS7 powered Camaro.

If only GM would do a 1LE with the LS7

Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 AM

I think from the Camaro teams perspective they have the main stream pony car field covered. V6, SS then 1LE for a little more track oriented customers to ZL1 for the big performance grand touring. I see the Z/28 as a lot like the road racing equivalent to the COPO Camaro drag racer for no compromises all out performance customers.

It's hard to fault them for the what they have done in bringing a Z/28 of this caliber back to the market. I think many of us wish it would have been priced in the pony car segment but from what I know of the LS7. Once that was part of the formula this car was already approaching ZL1 price levels so why not go all out on a halo car for GM and keep the excitement in the Camaro at the end of the 5th Gen.

Not to mention I think the whole 2014 styling update is to prepare for the new 2015 Mustang.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Hah the Z/28 is light by German standards
Agreed. The M3 is up 900 lb vs. the E30 M3! Of course the current version is a totally different car, but many Bimmerphiles prefer the E30 approach, and I certainly do as well! 5- and 6-series are over 4000 lb., pretty disgraceful...

Which reminds me, I would love to see Evo magazines take on the Z/28, hopefully they will snag one and do a comparison against their reference car the M3.
I suspect that it would go something like; "blah blah blah M3 was significantly better in all areas".
Z/28 will KILL the current M3 in any contest of speed . But the M3 is no doubt the better real-world road car. Meh, both are obscenely oversized and overweight, to me anyway.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 AM

Am I to believe they kept the head unit in the car but only one speaker? I was sort of reading the statement (combined with the still visible head unit in all the pics) as meaning they WANTED to removed the whole system, but since they had to leave a speaker in for the seat belt chime, they tossed that idea out the window.

I'm thinking (hoping) maybe it does have the stereo, as it should. Like Dan Baldwin said, someone can easily pull that from his car if he is so inclined. And the optional A/C should be a no cost option, IMO.

The Z06 still has the full range of Corvette comfort features, and it is a sick track weapon. Of course, it wasn't starting from a porky platform.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM

Yes, it has one speaker. The seat belt chime comes from the head unit so that had to stay too.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C

The Z06 still has the full range of Corvette comfort features, and it is a sick track weapon. Of course, it wasn't starting from a porky platform.
Good point. I would think if the 5th Gen was more in 3600-3700lb range for SS and 1LE and weight savings wasn't as important then we might have seen the Z/28 sooner and it would probably have been the ZL1 with LS7 instead of LSA.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:47 PM

Just reread the 1LE Lightning Lap review in Car and Driver at doctor's office. Thinking a 1LE with a hot cam would be a great poor-man's Z/28...
Old 03-29-2013, 02:20 PM

When you consider how expensive this car is going to be anyway, you'd think they could have left the basic stereo in and swapped out a few body panels for carbon fiber to save the weight.

If I won the lottery, I'd buy this car. I'd also order A/C, put in a basic four speaker aftermarket stereo (one of the articles said the rear speaker grills are in the car, with nothing behind them) and get an extra set of "winter" wheels/tires for the street. But then I'd also quit my job and actually take it to the track as I am less than 1-hr from Sonoma, and 2-hrs from Laguna Seca and Thunderhill Raceway.

However, I'm more likely to buy a 1SS/1LE and actually drive it on the street with the occasional foray to the track.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:27 PM

Technically, they didn't need to keep the stereo or the 1 speaker.
They should have just bought a bunch of those kits you use when installing an aftermarket radio in a newer car. They generate all the tones. Use them instead.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
Yes, it has one speaker. The seat belt chime comes from the head unit so that had to stay too.
I wish GM would ditch the seat belt chime, not sure if it's a fed regulation, but it is one of the pet peeves I have with modern cars. I wish they would get rid of the ugly warning stickers as well. Would of saved some more weight and some cost
Old 03-29-2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
I wish GM would ditch the seat belt chime, not sure if it's a fed regulation, but it is one of the pet peeves I have with modern cars.
On one press release they said it was required in some states but not a Federal requirement. (Sorry can't remember which states, but one wasn't California. )

Quick Reply: Camaro Z/28