Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Camaro Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 PM

Re: Camaro Z/28

Originally Posted by HuJass
This car will be $60K at least.

I read that it only has 1 speaker, for the chimes.
Not sure I could live without a good stereo.
I was told 70k or so
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
I was told 70k or so
Really?!

That would be absurd. I thought this one was going to be less than a ZL1. Isn't the LSA was more expensive to make than the LS7? This Z/28 should fit in like the BOSS did for the Mustang.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer62
Other than the 66 impala taillights and whatever that is stuck in the hood-i gotta say I like the heck out of it and will be ordering.
If you're actually serious about ordering one to buy, be sure to bring a LOT of money.......

.....if you can't afford a ZL1, you certainly WON'T be able to afford this new Z28.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
If you're actually serious about ordering one to buy, be sure to bring a LOT of money.......

.....if you can't afford a ZL1, you certainly WON'T be able to afford this new Z/28.
Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Really?!

That would be absurd. I thought this one was going to be less than a ZL1. Isn't the LSA was more expensive to make than the LS7? This Z/28 should fit in like the BOSS did for the Mustang.
This Z/28 has returned to it's roots as a street legal race car. No A/C, no trunk lining, weight pulled off the car both by deletions and lighter materials (which costs money).

Also, like the original Z/28, this one is going to be the most expensive Camaro you can buy.

If you're looking at the Z/28 through the prism of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gen Z/28, this is NOT your car..... the SS is.

Also, if the ZL1 is too expensive for you, you certainly won't be able to afford this.

The Camaro SS-1LE would likely be your car.

The new Z28 is a 100% street legal race car.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM

I like the return to roots thing, but I'm not sold on it. Personally I wouldn't drop $70K for a car that doesn't at least have a stereo. I could live without A/C. All the fanboys who wanted a stripped down racecar now have it, the question is will anybody (outside of collectors) actually buy the damn thing. Doesn't the Corvette ZR1/Z06 still have a stereo?

I have a 2002 in my garage with a cage, stripped down...drag car. It's fun to cruise in town, and an absolute thrill on the dragstrip; outside of that it's a royal pain in the ***.

The market for this again other then collectors, will be the well off that can afford to buy this car as a toy. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, I'd rather buy a Corvette IMO. (but I also have 4 kids and a family )

Last edited by Chrome383Z; 03-28-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 AM

More expensive than the ZL1? That's not good to hear. People didn't want it to be a super expensive car only for those well off. More like something between the SS and ZL1. At those prices it will be a collectors car. The solution for this car truly is to offer the radio stuff and A/C optional though.

Last edited by IZ28; 03-28-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 AM

The car in the images released with the unveiling has a stereo. A/C is available (as an option). I'm sure it still has power windows / locks / mirrors / tilt & telescope wheel / etc.

They can market it as a race car for the street, but I'm guessing they know damn well they'll only sell a handful of them if they actually made it that way. How many of the Camaro drag car bodies-in-white have they sold? Note that this Z/28 still has a real interior, not bare metal floors.

I'm sure it will be much like the Z06 (and 1LE, for that matter). Very track capable, but still usable on the street.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Really?!

I'm getting the impression that the Z/28 is GM's version of the Porsche GT2 or GT3 RS.

Personally I'd have preferred that GM just dropped the LS7 in the 1LE and called it a Z/28 with a price point somewhere in between the ZL1 and the SS as well - but to be realistic, you guys have some very lofty expectations (as in the Z/28 is king where the numbers are concerned) when it comes to the moniker and the **** storm such a car would have generated had GM just LS7end up the 1LE would have been interweb forums legendary IMO

Still, man would I have ever loved to roll out of a GM stealership in an LS7 powered Camaro.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM

looks like if that's the case I will have to look at the SS/RS 1LE if I plan on updating to another car...

or a used CTS-V coupe... are looking more and more affordable...
Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Personally I'd have preferred that GM just dropped the LS7 in the 1LE and called it a Z/28 with a price point somewhere in between the ZL1 and the SS as well - but to be realistic, you guys have some very lofty expectations (as in the Z/28 is king where the numbers are concerned) when it comes to the moniker and the **** storm such a car would have generated had GM just LS7end up the 1LE would have been interweb forums legendary IMO

Still, man would I have ever loved to roll out of a GM stealership in an LS7 powered Camaro.
Actually, an LS7 1LE type of car is what many of us were looking for. Most of us were happy with having a BOSS style Camaro as the Z28. This is more like a high dollar collector car from the sound of it. It's done very well though and they'll likely sell every one they make. I think I speak for alot more people than myself when I say that no one really expected it to be higher up than the ZL1.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM

Z/28 is supposed to have the same radio as the LS but only one speaker.

AC is optional.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM

I believe the LS7 is a more expensive engine than the LSA.

I am expecting the price to be about the same as the ZL1
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM
slt

I just dont see a lot of people lining up for a $70K track car. Thats a lot of scratch for a car that you may put into a wall. If I was to get serious into track days, I would get a beater with some mods that I wouldn't feel like my heart was ripped out when I made a mistake. With that said, I would see this selling to old guys that liked the "idea" that it could tear up the track but mostly just cruised it. That demographic would expect it to still have A/C and a stereo.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by posaune
Z/28 is supposed to have the same radio as the LS but only one speaker.
Makes sense. In their press release, they said they wanted to do away with the audio system completely, but they had to keep a single speaker as required by law for warning bells/chimes.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 PM

No A/C and 1-speaker sound system (no stereo!) save only 10s of pounds on a car that's 100s overweight. Kinda pointless if you ask me. Might as well leave them in and have the car weigh ~3825 lb. instead of ~3775 lb (guessing). Serious trackhounds can always remove them for the couple/few hundredths of a second improvement in lap times!

Quick Reply: Camaro Z/28